Voice Recognition

Hi,

i made a small plugin which should explain how to create own input plugins. Since there is nothing similar available i thought it might be fun to assemble some voice recognition control plugin based on the Microsoft SAPI. Well honestly i was a bit disappointed by the lousy quality in recognition, but if you use simple commands like "text", "full screen" and so on you should be lucky with it.

Source and Binary can be found inside the members section.

Christian

• 5 years later...

This is the only thread I could find on Speech Recognition, in English anyway, so I thought I'd just add to it rather than open a new one.

I have used SR before, many years ago. It was a bit of a struggle then, but after acquiring Vista, then Win7, I was quite impressed by the improvements in accuracy. It seemed worth trying out as a User Interface for DVBViewer.

Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) is bundled with Windows 7 and Vista. It can be used for dictation or for system commands, though it's limited to only a few languages: English (U.S./U.K.), "native" German, French and Spanish, plus Japanese and Chinese (both Traditional and Simplified).

WSR Macros is an add-on that can be installed to provide an XML-based scripting facility that can reproduce many of the commands and keystroke sequences found within applications. English is the only "supported" language, but I suspect it may work with the other WSR languages. The add-on has a tray wizard that allows very easy creation of new macros or editing of existing ones.

For use with DVBViewer, I created an Autoit script to convert the "actions.ini" list of commands to an equivalent set of speech macros.

<run command="C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe" params="-x{[command.action]}" />
	<rule name="command">
     	<list propname="action">
  			<p valstr="0">Pause</p>
  			<p valstr="1">On Top</p>
  			<p valstr="2">Menu</p>
  			<p valstr="3">Status bar</p>

After some editing of the command descriptions to aid recognition, I found quite good accuracy on most of them. For anyone who wants to give it a try, I attach a copy of the basic macro. (My version has some extra commands from my "commands.vbs" script.) Note the "readme" comments before setting up.

Is the "actions.ini" file translated to other languages during installation? If so, I can post my conversion script; otherwise, users will need to translate manually (or write another script!) I also made some scripts to convert ".remote" file definitions to keyboard sequences, emulating a remote control, and also "favourites.xml" to "DVBViewer.exe -c:" commands. I can post these if anyone is interested.

In some respects, Voice Control is a better UI for a media application than a mouse, keyboard, smartphone or tablet. There are no buttons to fumble for - the "controls" are all in your memory. The downside is the tether to the PC. Cheap wired microphones work well enough, but good-quality cordless ones are expensive. The ideal set-up would be a cordless PC mic. with press-to-talk or an off-switch. Does anyone have a suggestion?

WSR Macros wiki - includes link to download site

DVBViewer actions macro.zip

Edited by QBox User
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

i made a small plugin which should explain how to create own input plugins. Since there is nothing similar available i thought it might be fun to assemble some voice recognition control plugin based on the Microsoft SAPI. Well honestly i was a bit disappointed by the lousy quality in recognition, but if you use simple commands like "text", "full screen" and so on you should be lucky with it.

Source and Binary can be found inside the members section.

Christian

Is there someway to combine this with the mic on an ipod touch/iphone/smartphone to use that way?

Is there someway to combine this with the mic on an ipod touch/iphone/smartphone to use that way?

I suppose that would need to use Apple's own voice recognition built into iphone, ipad & newer ipod touches, does anyone know if 3rd party apps can use this feature?