Which graphics card is best for H.264?

mitsu

I am updating my graphics card and want some help

to find the best graphics card for HDTV watching.

I want smooth playback of H.264 HD channels. My CPU is P4 3.0G.

I have found conflicting information concerning both ATI and nVidia

H.264 capable cards. I cannot find reliable information whether they

support satellite H.264 signal or not. I also would like to use VMR9

and there are also conflicting information concerning ATI/nVidia support

of VMR9 in DVBViewer.

If you want to connect your card with a LCD-TV it's the best to buy a graphics card with HDCP support. The H.264 decoding acceleration at the graphic cards is still in one's infancy but at the moment ATI cards accelerate H.264 better than Nvidia cards. Beside the CPU is also a deciding factor. Perhaps it's the best to invest in a better CPU than in a new graphic card. But that, you have to decide.

Perhaps it's the best to invest in a better CPU than in a new graphic card. But that, you have to decide.

I know that. But changing the CPU would be too expensive and therefore I will try changing the grahics card first.

Personally I think Nvidia cards do a better job than Ati's for HW acceleration of H.264: the series 7xxx being clearly better than series 6xxx of course. VMR9 now works with DVBViewer and Nvidia cards with latest DVBViewer beta (it wasn't really a DVBViewer fault by the way: the Nvidia driver seems to have a bug about it).

Personally I think Nvidia cards do a better job than Ati's for HW acceleration of H.264: the series 7xxx being clearly better than series 6xxx of course. VMR9 now works with DVBViewer and Nvidia cards with latest DVBViewer beta (it wasn't really a DVBViewer fault by the way: the Nvidia driver seems to have a bug about it).

Is VMR9 working flawlessly with Nvidia cards as well?