BBC HD is driving me insane!

Fulcanelli

I'm using DVBViewerPro with no problems except when it comes to BBC HD.

Using CoreAVCPro I can get a good picture but it stops and stutters after a few seconds - starts again then stops, starts then hangs after a couple of minutes. I have to close the prog via Task Manager. Not a great problem as I only want to record the programmes for conversion, not watch in real time. I change the H.264 codec to 'auto' so I get the black screen with just the audio playing. Doesn't crash then, and I can record the program. So far so good.

Problem is, my recorded TS is way out of sync. I can open it in WMP but it's about 2fps and it crashes if I try and scroll further along. Same with VirtualDub. I get it into VDub via AviSynth and the DirectShow filter, drastically resized, and it plays, if a bit stuttery. At the moment I'm adjusting the audio sync manually which is not satisfactory as I'm never spot on. Then I save out in an avi container (takes 2hrs), get the new 'avi' file back in VDub to add filters etc, then frameserve to Procoder for conversion to DVD/SVCD. (I don't frameserve the TS as even resized it takes longer.)

There has got to be an easier way!!

Tried TSConverter which supports AVC H264 but the raw file extracted would not load into avc2avi, kept saying it couldn't open the file. The wave file generated by that program was also out of sync. As it was when I tried extracting the audio via ProjectX.

I'm at a loss. The way I see it, is a) the TS source is not synced, so how can I ensure it records with the video/audio properly synced? and b ) even if the TS was synced ok, demuxing apparently desyncs them. How can I avoid that?

All I want is a synced recording!! <cries>

Someone must know how to solve this!

Edited by Fulcanelli
I'm using DVBViewerPro with no problems except when it comes to BBC HD.

Using CoreAVCPro I can get a good picture but it stops and stutters after a few seconds - starts again then stops, starts then hangs after a couple of minutes. I have to close the prog via Task Manager. Not a great problem as I only want to record the programmes for conversion, not watch in real time. I change the H.264 codec to 'auto' so I get the black screen with just the audio playing. Doesn't crash then, and I can record the program. So far so good.

Problem is, my recorded TS is way out of sync. I can open it in WMP but it's about 2fps and it crashes if I try and scroll further along. Same with VirtualDub. I get it into VDub via AviSynth and the DirectShow filter, drastically resized, and it plays, if a bit stuttery. At the moment I'm adjusting the audio sync manually which is not satisfactory as I'm never spot on. Then I save out in an avi container (takes 2hrs), get the new 'avi' file back in VDub to add filters etc, then frameserve to Procoder for conversion to DVD/SVCD. (I don't frameserve the TS as even resized it takes longer.)

There has got to be an easier way!!

Tried TSConverter which supports AVC H264 but the raw file extracted would not load into avc2avi, kept saying it couldn't open the file. The wave file generated by that program was also out of sync. As it was when I tried extracting the audio via ProjectX.

I'm at a loss. The way I see it, is a) the TS source is not synced, so how can I ensure it records with the video/audio properly synced? and b ) even if the TS was synced ok, demuxing apparently desyncs them. How can I avoid that?

All I want is a synced recording!! <cries>

Someone must know how to solve this!

First of all there are many posts about this issue have you done a search?

Secondly help would of been a lot easier if you posted hardware used.

If you are looking for a quick fix I would suguest purchasing Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.0.2211.0 deluxe

(depending on hardware)

Has one of the fastest H.264 decoders and ac3 sync issues are quite good.

Edited by The One
First of all there are many posts about this issue have you done a search?

Yes, but the only threads I saw re synchronisation were in German. :bye:

Secondly help would of been a lot easier if you posted hardware used.

Hardware shouldn't really matter if it's just the recording I was concerned about. Even an old comp should be capable of recording the TS without issue. I was concerned that the TS was out of sync......comp is an AMD 64 3000, 1.8ghz, 1gig dual channel ram, Nvidia 6600 graphics card.

If you are looking for a quick fix I would suguest purchasing Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.0.2211.0 deluxe

(depending on hardware)

Has one of the fastest H.264 decoders and ac3 sync issues are quite good.

Funny you should say that....

I originally tried PowerDVD, and Elecard (via ProgDVB), neither would even show an image in WMP and Powerdvd. Tried CoreAVC which everyone said was the best and I got a picture, so went with that one - and eventually settled on DVBViewerPro (though DVBDream is quite good).

Anyway I decided to reinstall the PowerDVD again and uninstall CoreAVCPro. Bugger me, got quite a smooth picture in DVBViewer, I'd say about 20fps with the odd frame dropped. No crashes!!! It's actually quite watchable if I wanted to watch something live, though the first 5 minutes it tends to need to 'settle down' a bit as it goes a bit stuttery. After that it's fine. So went back to my previous recorded file and tried playing it in WMP and PowerDVD. Wouldn't play in the latter but that's no loss, it's only the codec I'm interested in - WMP was a bit stuttery (not playing full screen) but a bit better than previously. Not really watchable without being resized (yet the live streams appear to be - weird!). I was able to tell that the audio/video was definitely synced, so nothing wrong with that recorded stream.

The problem was obviously CoreAVCPro. Very impressed with Cyberlinks codec and I'll be buying that puppy when the 30 day trial expires.

Interesting that everyone says you need a powerful dual core system with at least 3ghz cpu to get a watchable live broadcast - I certainly wasn't expecting to it to stream so well on my lowly comp. CPU is at 100% so I can't do anything else and clicking the record on and off takes ages as does shutting down, but still....very watchable!!

Edited by Fulcanelli