Skystar 2 HD reception

RMAC

:bye: Currently using Skystar2 and DVBViewer 3.5 Pro - all well on Astra2 on normal MPEG2 channels - however I am attempting to receive the BBC HD channel at 10847 MHz - receiving sound OK but blank screen on video so far using LEAD MPEG4 CODEC - I have not tried any other Codecs so far - tried to get the CoreAVC Codec but so far been unable to download.

Any help would be appreciated

Hello !

You should check the Channel Specs.

If it is H264 then most likely it is also DVB-S2(Two), what can not be received by a Skystar 2.

The Skystar 2 is only for DVB-S (without any number).

use coreavc decoder(the best software way to decode h264) or cyberlink 7(if you have a video card with h264 hardware acceleration)

Edited by fenomeno83

Many thanks for all the replies - CoreVAC finally responded this morning (after 5 days) so I was able to download the CoreVAC decoder - will install probably tomorrow so will update info then.

I have now loaded CoreVAC decoder but still get blank screen on DVB PRO although th Direct X selection now shows CoreVAC in H264 window which I selected - so much have some wrong setup since LEAD decoders do not work either on BBC HD.

However I reinstalled DVBViewer TE , rescanned and actually scanned in BBC HD channel at freq10847 TP50 with correct PIDS etc - now get picture using the LEAD H264 decoder which is shown in picture frame- there seems no way to select decoders on TE. Any views on this. Where are decoders installed to?

Hello,

For me, DVBViewver pro 3.5 runs like a dream with CoreAVC+SS2(driver4.40) with BBC one HD.

settings: skip deblocking+desinterlacing

Overlay

By the way, did you install setup4pc witch is needed, I understand, for DVBViewver to work properly?

Just needed to OC my Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.3Ghz for watching the Mondial in HD FTA. God save the queen!!!

I am pushing hard to restore monarchy in France....

Cheers

Edited by Trifon
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello,

For me, DVBViewver pro 3.5 runs like a dream with CoreAVC+SS2(driver4.40) with BBC one HD.

settings: skip deblocking+desinterlacing

Overlay

By the way, did you install setup4pc witch is needed, I understand, for DVBViewver to work properly?

Just needed to OC my Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.3Ghz for watching the Mondial in HD FTA. God save the queen!!!

I am pushing hard to restore monarchy in France....

Cheers

Finally got it running with DVBViewer 3.5 and CoreAVC but crashes after a few minutes or goes very jerky on Athlon 2700 - need a little more speed so currently updating machine to Athlon 64X2 3800 and Abit KN8 motherboard so expect good results soon - enjoying the challenge - recently retired!!!

Using CoreAVC 1.1.0.5 and a Pentium4 3.2 HT, I can watch 720p50 H264 with 95-99% processor usage, so upgrading the Athlon is a wise decision :-) DVBViewer doesn't crash during live playback, but does when switching to another H264 HDTV channel.

The pure software approach to decode mpeg4/H264 is not the right move to do so. Currently, the best way is to stick with Radeon above X1100 which is also good to connect the vga output directly to scart ..meaning, no synchronisation problem and interlaced support if the TV needs it.

The latest catalyst drivers do offer some limioted support to decode mpeg4 and processor load is lower..still not low enough.

But a far better way is using a hardware encoder cause this is just too much work for a pc. Very difficult to build up a real silent mediacenter.

All HD-TV transmissions will move to DVB-S2, it's just a matter of time.

Hello,

The pure software approach to decode mpeg4/H264 is not the right move to do so. Currently, the best way is to stick with Radeon above X1100 which is also good to connect the vga output directly to scart ..meaning, no synchronisation problem and interlaced support if the TV needs it.

The latest catalyst drivers do offer some limioted support to decode mpeg4 and processor load is lower..still not low enough.

But a far better way is using a hardware encoder cause this is just too much work for a pc. Very difficult to build up a real silent mediacenter.

All HD-TV transmissions will move to DVB-S2, it's just a matter of time.

There are presently some unpredictible issue with hardware H264 support from both Nvidia+ATI.

As soon as we forget the P4 "heat machine", Intel Core duo and present AMD series are well suited for buiding one noiseless HTPC.

Under OC condition with one Papst for the CPU heatsink+ Tagan twin fan power supply, my HTPC makes virtualy no noise.

Using mid range graphic card without H264 support(X1300 fanless) is sometime better in term of need for power, meaning less noise, than powerfull one.

All in one, it is presently better to install low energy CPU(AMD EE serie; Core duo), than high range G C with comprehensive hardware H264 support.

Cheers

Edited by Trifon