Holliwood+ or DXr3 with DvbViewer

MaxCoderz

@HackBart

I'm a registered user (pay) of your software, it's very nice and well designed, BUT, it needs a lot of system

resource to decode via software the MPEG2 stream.

So it is quite impossible to use the software at its best on hardware < 900 Mhz.

My question is:

is there a way to build a directshow filter to use ProgDVB in conjunction with the Sigma Design Hollywood+ (same of creative encore DxR3) like the one used by some of other DVB software.

I've tried these software, works well, the cpu requirement is reduced to 20%. Now since I've bought DVBViewer it would be very nice a similar implementation, or at least some hints on how to do.

Thx very much.

Guest Oliver

Did you try the XVR-renderer? This one should noticeably reduce your CPU-usage. BTW: I've checked the CPU-usage for ARD with both DVBViewer 1.99 R1 (Marfi rendercore + overlay) and ProgDVB 4.12.1 (overlay):

DVBViewer - 9-32 % CPU-usage (XP 2600+)

ProgDVB - 26-38 % CPU-usage (")

Maybe you're using some plugin ProgDVB works faster with? You should also try the Elecard MPG2-decoder, it's one of the faster decoders.

Bye, Oliver

"You should also try the Elecard MPG2-decoder, it's one of the faster decoders"

But if You need the best quality try Mediamatics filter with two changes in registry :

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Mediamatics/DVD Express/ActiveMovie Decoder/UseBobWeave : REG_DWORD=1

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Mediamatics/DVD Express/ActiveMovie Decoder/ForceBob : REG_DWORD=1

--

marfi

Thx very much for your(s) reply...

I would like to focus that both the MPEG decoder you mention are software, that in other word the cpu

do the Job!

Dx3 or Hollywood plus have embedded an MPEG2 hardware decoder ASIC, so while the stream is decoded by this chip the main cpu can do other funny things like direct stream recording on disk.

Sure, most of you have a cpu > 1GHz, my whish is to run DVBViewer on a K6 III 400 Mhz, since other DVB software can work with this minimum :rolleyes: hardware (ProgDVB for istance, works fine with my PC and a HollyWood+ inside, the cpu usage is 35%).

That's all, while with these DVB soft I can built my own graph (and use the hollywood+ hardware rendering filter) I do not have any info on how do the same with DVBViewer.

Ciao

MaxCoderz

Edited by Oliver
Guest Oliver

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I thought you had a CPU-usage of 20% with some DVB-program without using your hardware-decoder. But you should try the XVR-render-core, though.

Bye, Oliver

To get DVBViewer to use the Hplus card try to unregistrate all video mpeg2 and audio mpeg2 decoder

filters, then when DVBViewer builds the graph it will use the only filter available, and that is the

hplus filter.

Guest Oliver

@Marfi:

But if You need the best quality try Mediamatics filter with two changes in registry :

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Mediamatics/DVD Express/ActiveMovie Decoder/UseBobWeave : REG_DWORD=1

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Mediamatics/DVD Express/ActiveMovie Decoder/ForceBob : REG_DWORD=1

Good hint, the quality is better, especially the deinterlacing. But using "ForceBob =1" results in vertical bobbing, therefore I disabled this.

Bye, Oliver

@HackBart

I'm a registered user (pay) of your software, it's very nice and well designed, BUT, it needs a lot of system

resource to decode via software the MPEG2 stream.

So it is quite impossible to use the software at its best on hardware < 900 Mhz.

My question is:

is there a way to build a directshow filter to use ProgDVB in conjunction with the Sigma Design Hollywood+ (same of creative encore DxR3) like the one used by some of other DVB software.

I've tried these software, works well, the cpu requirement is reduced to 20%. Now since I've bought DVBViewer it would be very nice a similar implementation, or at least some hints on how to do.

Thx very much.

I think it's a optimun question. I've got a Dxr3 card and I thoke this too. The only problem it's that the Dxr3 is only an output card in my opinion and it's not possible to use it and redirect the video stream to the video card trough the bus. If this could be possible it wouldn't need to use a cable passtrought to see DVD on monitor.

Sorry for english..

@Simon82

Simon, DXR3 it is not only an output card, you can see your prefered MPEG2 media directy on the VGA monitor

using the furnished pass-trough VGA cable, you even does not need to redirect the video stream trough the

bus because the stream can be redirected on both VGA monitor or TV using the drivers provided.

Moreover DXR3 has directshow support (RMMPEG2.AX) that can be used to built directshow application; it is not relevant from where the MPEG2 stream come u can use a MPEG2 video clip as source or a DVB MPEG2 stream.

Maybe this is not the right place to discuss about, but, using DVBcore and DXR3 directshow filter you can see

DVB stream with a minumum CPU overhead, just built the graph and use it with WinSTb or EzDvbXL.

My suggestion to the creator of DVBViewer is to provide the user a way to use a custom directshow filter.

Regards

_MaxCoderz_

I suppose this would require another video codec option for Marfis Renderer, so the request has to go to Marfi... the Technisat DVB Source Filter can't be influenced in the desired way, it's a bit stubborn. Christian already tried, as far as I know, but it always connects to the Mediamatics decoder, if possible, regardless of the filter merit.

The only thing that might be possible is to unregister all other software mpgeg decoders and then see wether the source filters - Marfis or the one from TechinSat - are connected to the RMMPEG2.AX, because there is no other choice...

Griga

@Simon82

Simon, DXR3 it is not only an output card, you can see your prefered MPEG2 media directy on the VGA monitor

using the furnished pass-trough VGA cable, you even does not need to redirect the video stream trough the

bus because the stream can be redirected on both VGA monitor or TV using the drivers provided.

Moreover DXR3 has directshow support (RMMPEG2.AX) that can be used to built directshow application; it is not relevant from where the MPEG2 stream come u can use a MPEG2 video clip as source or a DVB MPEG2 stream.

Maybe this is not the right place to discuss about, but, using DVBcore and DXR3 directshow filter you can see

DVB stream with a minumum CPU overhead, just built the graph and use it with WinSTb or EzDvbXL.

My suggestion to the creator of DVBViewer is to provide the user a way to use a custom directshow filter.

Regards

_MaxCoderz_

I've not understood the redirect stream problem. If I want to see mpeg2 decoded stream on my monitor do you think that it's possible without using the orrible pass trought cable? GraphEdit it's an hard program and I don't know how use it... should be possible to use a rendering engine (like Marfi..) that use itself the decoder of the H+/Dxr3 to see the output on monitor without using pass cable?

• 1 month later...
Guest Oliver
But is the list of DirectShow filter got automatically by DVBViewer? It take all the registered filter and let you choose what you want? And finally one time you select (ad ex) "Real Magic TV-Out" (hollywood+ tv out), it should apply the changes automatically when you rebuild the graph?

Someone can tell me if is possible this thing? I think it could be a good idea using the mpeg2 decoder card with the SkyStar2.. it could be a real decoder join..

Since you can choose Realmagic TV-out in the rendering options, it should be possible, but the filter/decoder has to be installed. That's only a preset list in the DVBViewer, not an actual list of installed filters/decoders.

With rebuilding the graphc, the changes are applied. You can check it with graphedit. Get a copy, start the DVBViewer, then graphedit and select "file - connect to remote graph". Now you can see all the filters used for display.

BTW, there's now another possibility for hardware-decoding. With the NVIDIA-decoder and selected graphics cards (Geforce4 MX, Geforce FX, some ATI cards) their built-in MPG2-decoder is used.

Bye, Oliver

Guest Oliver

You must have installed the decoder. Then you have to choose it in the options dialogue (Realmagic for you). Have a look at the picture. After that you must rebuild the graph.

Bye, Oliver

You must have installed the decoder. Then you have to choose it in the options dialogue (Realmagic for you). Have a look at the picture. After that you must rebuild the graph.

Bye, Oliver

If I do this I don't think it run because the CPU usage remain 30-40% and if I go to see the filter in -> Filters there's a DVD Express Decoder that I don't think it's the Real Magic filter.. :angry:

I think there is a connectign probelm between Marfis skyavc.ax and hollywood filter (same like Nvidia filter in the past). But i think not that he would solve this problem because maybe he have not such a card. :angry:

I think there is a connectign probelm between Marfis skyavc.ax and hollywood filter (same like Nvidia filter in the past). But i think not that he would solve this problem because maybe he have not such a card. :angry:

Because I want to do 2 things.. or I decode Mpeg2 signal with ATI acceleration that has got full hardware decoding capability or in best way I use Real Magic hardware decoding that can handle in best way the mpeg2 signal to see the best possibile quality. :D