burn to dvd

booyaka

hi all, i have few questions to ask before i by a dvd burner

is it possible to recorde a movie and then burn it on a dvd-r so i can watch it on my livingroom dvdplayer?

are there any people who'v done and if so, what software do they use and how is the playback?

in what format do you record the streaming? joint mpeg file, splited...................?

cause i tried to encode it in divx avi with flask and the result isent very good desynchronisation with the sound, missing frames ext......................

thanx in advance

ps: sorry for my english :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Salut !

I do have a DVD+RW burner, but never tried to burn a "real" DVD because all that rendering is too much effort in my eyes. I built up a Multimedia PC that is center of all audio-video-entertainment in my living room :-) So I just burn the mpg file as-is onto CDs and DVDs and then I can play them on my MM-PC again :-)

sorry.

is it possible to recorde a movie and then burn it on a dvd-r so i can watch it on my livingroom dvdplayer?
First your hardwareplayer must can play DVD-R !

Next: You must convert the video to the right format. DVB-ctream ist not DVD conformable format. MPG2 ist not MPG2, there are a lot of differenz between this.

Of course thats possible and easy to achive. All newer dvd players can use DVB formats, even those that are not 100% DVD compatible, like 528x576. The DVD specification list these resolutions for PAL:

352x288 (D4)

352x576 (1/2 D1)

704x576 (cropped D1)

720x576 (Full D1)

Many DVD players also play:

480x576 (2/3 D1)

528x576 (3/4 D1)

I tried several DVD-Players and none had trouble to play my DVD-Rs.

Salut !

I tried several DVD-Players and none had trouble to play my DVD-Rs

That sounds nice. So how did you transform/burn it and do DVD+R(w) discs run also ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello , a good link is doom9.net to get Information how to make a DVD. In worst case you need a lot of progs to get a good solution. Most of the needed progs a free available and are working fine. Untill now I got for every Record a solution.

Greeting

Oldtimer

Until now, I burned 3 Movies I captured onto DVD+R.

It works in any player I tested it (even Playstation2).

Used software:

ds.jar (demux)

SpruceUp (authoring)

Nero (burning :angry:)

All you need is some time to get into it and many time for demux and authoring (c.a. 4-6 hours for EACH DVD).

But the Results are quite nice. Chapters, multiple Audio streams (not tested, a friend of mine did), perfect picture quality.

So hope I could help

Yours

--LaSepp

Hi,

I'm using a DVD +R (NEC 1100A). They do not play on every player, depending on the brand of player and on the brand of RW. But there is another reason, why I don't burn DVD : the DVD files are huuuuge!

I've tried Nero, WinProducer and myDVD, and I get only aprox. 1 hour of video on the disk. If I choose 1/2 DVD, it's 2 hours, however for my opinion the quality is worse than SVCD. For that reason I encode as SVCD and burn those to the DVD, which gives me aprox. 5 hours of recording time per DVD.

I play those recordings on my MM PC, which is connected to my TV and controlled remotely by infrared and over my home network, my DVD player is for sale :angry:

Quality is good, as everybody tells me, syncing problems I had in the beginning, with the method I use now, they are gone.

1) try recording as PVA

2) use PVAStrumento to convert to mpeg (few minutes)

3)use DVD2avi to get separate streams for video and audio (also few minutes)

4)use VFAPIConvEN.exe to make a very small pseudo avi (few seconds)

those streams, the avi and the mpa can then be processed freely by allmost any other program. I use winproducer to cut out advertising and adjust the syncing interactively, i.e. I can see the result immediately if its lipsync. Winproducer also gives me a very good coding quality and is lightning fast (1.2 x faster than realtime on a p4/2.5)

I don't have much experience yet with divx though.

Hope, I could give you some hints, have success

cu Jochen

Guest Oliver
1) try recording as PVA

2) use PVAStrumento to convert to mpeg (few minutes)

3)use DVD2avi to get separate streams for video and audio (also few minutes)

4)use VFAPIConvEN.exe to make a very small pseudo avi (few seconds)

Don't you think it would be easier to use PVAStrumento for creating separate streams (demux) in the first place? There's no need for DVD2AVI.

Bye, Oliver

Hi Oliver,

you're certainly right, however your suggestion may not work in a few cases, because the .mpv output of PVAstrumento isn't so widely accepted by editing programs. Same in my case with winproducer. So one still has to use the pseudo avi solution with VFAPIConvEN. The latter unfortunately does not like the .mpv neigther, so we're stuck with dvd2avi.

But you inspired me to do another test, which I did right away. :angry: I used PVAstrumento to demux, as you suggested, and ran only the .mpv part through dvd2avi, which made it a bit faster (1 hr 5 min Video in 1 min. 10 sec) thats a gain in speed of about 1 minute. Sync between image and sound remained stable with this method too. Thanks for the tip!

I didn't try that before, because "never touch a running system' which is double true for the production of mpeg videos as we all know.

cu Jochen

Hi all,

I'd like to describe my way to record my DVB-clips to a Video-DVD

- record movie as "PVA-stream" with DVBViewer

- cut pva-file with pvacut (http://www.tirtanium.de) and save it as pva-file

- load new pva-file into pvastrumento ( http://www.offeryn.de) and save it again with default setting to pva

(to sync audio and video; to modify video bitrate in header)

- demux the pva-file and remux it to MPEG2 with Xmuxer (http://www.moonlight.co.il)

=> new mpeg2-file

- this mpeg2-file will be added to DVD-project of "WinOnCD 6 DVD" and recorded to DVD

=> WinOnCD accepts these mpeg2-file as "DVD-conform" and record it to DVD without encoding;

you can spliit those files and create your own DVD-menu; only muxing is necessary and no encoding

(I think those guys of "WinOnCD" like DVB :angry: )

This procedure normally takes about 1 hour

(excl. time to record file to DVD which only depends on writing speed of the recorder)

This DVD is playable on any DVD-Player

(My friends and me did not have any problem to play such aVideo-DVD on settop-player)

Nogger

What is PVA Stream and how to use it with DVBViewer (provided by Technisat) ; there is only the possibility to record as SVCD (video + audio together) or not (video + audio separated).

My problem : I've bought the new Nec 1300 DVD burner and use Nero Vision Express. But this software does not accept records from DVBViewer. I recoded them with Tmpgenc but often the proces stops before the end i got only the beginnings of my recordings.

I tried to burn directly the DVBViewer recordings directly on a DVD-Rom structure, but my DVD player (Scott 838) only reads about 15 seconds and hangs !

No problem with my DVs coded with Tmpgenc.

Jraf

Guest Oliver

The nature of the PVA-format has been described in the forum before, just use the search function. In short: It's an elementary stream without header information. I think you just have the DVBViewer 1.94 Technisat Edition. That's a rather old version, there have been about 30 new releases, the actual version is 1.99 R4 (just have a look at www.DVBViewer.com/version.txt). With version 1.94 you can't use the PVA-format. Often you can't use the MPG-recordings with TMPGEnc directly, therefore you have to use DVD2AVI as a frameserver. Load the MPG-file in DVD2AVI and save it as a project-file. This you can open in TMPGEnc. But you should really consider upgrading to the full version. There you'll have numerous new features and bug fixes.

Bye, Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

thanks for your kind reply.

The search engine does not answer to PVA or PVA stream, or PVA Fomat, or I don't really know how to use it. But I found information (http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm). I still don't know how to get a PVA stream, but i'm gonna dig this question. Most of the information seems to be in English or German and it will take time for me, so I posted in the French section.

But i'll try asap the combination you proposed (DVD2Avi and TmpegEnc)

Have a nice day

Jraf

Guest Oliver
The search engine does not answer to PVA or PVA stream, or PVA Fomat or I don't really know how to use it.

Hm, I got 13 results for "PVA format" and 9 results for "PVA stream". You just have to type in what you're searching for, select all forums, the last 365 days and click on search.

But I found information (http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm

Right, that's the homepage of PVAStrumento.

I still don't know how to get a PVA stream, but i'm gonna dig this question

I already told you: You need the full version of the DVBViewer, the Technisat Edition 1.94 only supports MPG2-program stream.

Bye, Oliver