New widescreen skin

Hello.

I have taken the liberty to reformat the New Default skin to fit 16:9 widescreens more properly with correct aspect ratio.

All of the windows and dialogs has been reformated and also the images has been resized to be 16:9 in aspect.

I have also taken the liberty to change the Timeline window to be a little bit larger to fit more channels.

The resoultion is 1024x576, I first began to reformat to 1368x768 but I found that the text in most cases and also graphics became to small to be readable when wiewing from a large distance, so now the resolution is a little bit less than my fist attempt.

If you find any bugs in the layout please notify med using the forum and post in this thread.

Edit: I just sent the new skin to Bernd so please wait for the new skin to be uploaded, it will be called: "New default Widescreen"

The old "New Def skin HD" is not good and has several layout errors so ignore that one.

I saw that the channel logos were in the wrong aspect so I changed that and uploaded a new version again.

Here are some snapshots of some various screens:

post-26708-1166099694_thumb.jpg

post-26708-1166099685_thumb.jpg

post-26708-1166099703_thumb.jpg

post-26708-1166099714_thumb.jpg

post-26708-1166099724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kurben
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kurben,

i use your HD-Skin on my 42"-Plasma display and it's look really nice (thanks!).

but my be its a small bug in the Screen for video-, music-selection if you use the

skin without background. In this case you do'nt see the frame around the menu.

Regards,

holger

• 2 months later...

Just tried this osdskin, looks great but gives me a major problem, aspect ratio changes are more or less confined to the 4:3 area of the screen. With the default skin all is OK with my 16:9 LCD screen.

Other comments, mainly cosmetic:-

The yellow and blue 'radio buttons' in the bottom right hand side are not in the corner on most screens and their labels look too far away compared to red and green buttons in the bottom left hand side.

'Weather forecast' is in German language, I managed to change that one in myweather.xml. I noticed that myweather.xml for the default osdskin doesn't have the line <label>Weather forecast</label>, perhaps I should have just deleted the line, don't know.

Quick question. Are the scripts included with the download any different from the default?

• 4 months later...

nice elegant skin ..love it very much

one thing ...on my plasma the grey background and the white text seem to lack a little bit contrast

so its not so easy to read from the distance

anyone ?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that the skin is still in use.

Hackbart: If you want you can add the skin to the installation package, I don't mind. I make no rights to it as the graphics used are yours from the begining.

• 2 months later...

I have just migrate to Vista x64, and this skin works very bad in full screen...key response is very slow or just doesn't work. I've tried Concinyti 3D too...the same result.

When DVBViewer is windowed, skin works great.

I've tried with EVR and VMR9.

I've Ati 4870X2 with last Catalyst drivers

Any help?

Edited by ramonchin
  • 3 months later...

I have LCD with 16:10 resolution and Default skin made for 4:3 or 16:9 wasn't look very well on it.

So I took skin editor and resized Default skin from DVBViewer 4.2.1.0 to fit 16:10 widescreens. ;) Also all needed images are resized for correct aspect ratio.

Now this skin looks much better on widescreen LCD and OSD pages fit more info, no more stretched fonts or channel logos. :)

Screens:

post-84899-1250020000_thumb.jpg post-84899-1250019996_thumb.jpg

post-84899-1250020008_thumb.jpg

DefaultWide

Skin resolution: 922x576

Aspect ratio: 16:10

Download:

http://machi007.ic.cz/files/DefaultWide.zip

OR

http://rapidshare.com/files/266308056/DefaultWide.zip

Enjoy!

I'm glad to see that the skin is useful also for others. I believe that there is a lot of DVBViewer users with widescreen 16:10 LCDs.

Maybe add this version to the installation would be also good idea. :angry:

Maybe add this version to the installation would be also good idea. :angry:

That's an excellent idea.

By the way, if I want to make my own logo images to fit this, what dimensions should they be? I've been using 132x92 images.

Cheers!

I'm using 64x48 logos and it's fine. You can use bigger ones, but with correct aspect, 132x99 for example. :angry:

Edited by Machito
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I have just migrate to Vista x64, and this skin works very bad in full screen...key response is very slow or just doesn't work. I've tried Concinyti 3D too...the same result.

When DVBViewer is windowed, skin works great.

I have same problem with slow OSD skins, but only in fulscreen and with refresh rates below 60Hz. I use 1920x1080@50Hz, and OSD is very "lazy", but if I change to 60Hz, everything seems to be ok (but watching at 60Hz is unnaceptable because of PAL25i).

I thing, this is not a DVBViewer problem, but OS or graphic card problem.

-------------------

WinXP Pro, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, DVBViewer 4.2.1, ffdshow video decoder, Overlay mixer.

Edited by ViViD
  • 2 months later...

Hi

Dowloaded that skin from member area, but some elements are wrongly placed. Tried correct some of them and managed most of it, but as shown in attachment, in timeline page, location of timeline doesn't match with current time. How to fix that?

post-84427-1257497136_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Kurben, your new skin is great using full or large screen.

I'm running DVB on my desktop PC (22" Monitor), also listening radio. Radio doesn't need a large window, so I resize the windows small, and here I find a problem: the letters show a too low resolution RDS text, it's not readable. I guess, a font with more pixels would show readable text in a small window.

What do you think? Is it possible? I don't want to miss this skin ...

fw43412 :original:

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello together,

I use this skin for several years know and was always very happy with it.

But since DVBViewer Pro Version 7.x I found some strange behavior:

If I go (during full screen mode) to main menu, select recordings and then start a recording everything works normal (except that the display of the recorded files takes longer than before). But if I then go back to main menu this is shown but not reacting (neither on scrolling nor on clicking) until the full screen mode is left. Same behavior if this is started in the non fill screen mode. So it seems that since DVBViewer version 7.x a always a change between full screen and non full screen mode is mandatory to make the main menu work again.

Any ideas to that?

30 minutes ago, Griga said:

You may want to try this modification. I can't reproduce the described issue with it.

Thanks for your answer. I got the described behavior with NewDef, NewDefWide as well as with NewDefWide-HD. Maybe the topic depends on the amount of recorded files or its location (in my case on a NAS). The Default skin does not show this problem. The strange thing is that this happens only from the second call of main menue and only when before a recorded file was started. As long as only channels are changed I cannot observe this.

Enhancement:

I forgot to tell is that I use the DVBViewer Media server.

The before without issues working setup was a DVBViewer before version 7.x together with the DVBViewer recording service and skins NewDef and NewDefWide. Since the update to DVBViewer 7.x and MediaServer (currently v. 3.1.2.1) this issue came up. With the old setup I did not test the skin NedDefWid-HD. One additional information: I use approx. 40 recording folders.

Edited by Tomega
5 hours ago, Tomega said:

I got the described behavior with NewDef, NewDefWide as well as with NewDefWide-HD.

Please post a step-by-step instruction for reproducing the issue. Not just "start recording", but which menu item in which menu is selected / which keys are are pressed. It should start like this:

1. Launch DVBViewer.
  2. Open the OSD menu by pressing ESC.
  3. etc.....

On 10/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, Griga said:

Please post a step-by-step instruction

For explanation:

The used mouse has an additional thumb-button which is assigned to the „middle mouse button“-functionality which has not been changed since several years.

Used versions:
DVBViewer Pro 7.1.2.1
DVBViewer Media Server 3.1.2.1
TransEdit 4.2.4.1
OSD-Skin NewDefWide-HD

Now the step-by-step instruction

1.    DVBViewer is launched in full screen mode
2.    On left side of screen the mouse-thumb button (middle mouse button) is pressed and the main menu is shown.
3.    By use of the scrolling wheel the entry “Aufnahmen” is brought in the center and is then clicked.
4.    After some time the recorded items are shown (which is taking now more time as in DVBViewer Pro 6.x.x.x version)

which is maybe reasonable due to the fact that the recorded files are stored on a NAS.
5.    One recorded item is selected by click. Main menu closes automatically and the recorded item is plaid.
6.    On left side of screen the mouse-thumb button (middle mouse button) is pressed and main menu is shown.
7.    When now the mouse scroll wheel is used entries are not changing and entry “Aufnahmen” is still shown in the center but is not reacting on a click.

If between step 5 and 6 the full screen mode is left (by mouse right button double click) the main menu is working again as described in steps 2 to 5.

Same behavior occurs when between step 5 and 6 first the full screen mode is left and afterwards entered again (both with mouse right button double click).

This behavior happens only when recorded items are plaid. It does not happen if channels in live TV are changed.

I hope this description helps.
Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Tomega

I tested a little bit further and found another behavior which could have to do with the above described.

Another possibility to open the main menu is to do this by use of the right mouse button on the right side of the screen.

But then the full screen mode is left automatically.

Here the step-by-step instruction
1.    DVBViewer is launched in full screen mode
2.    On right side of screen the right mouse click is performed and the main menu is shown.
3.    By use of the scrolling wheel the entry “Aufnahmen” is brought in the center and then clicked.
4.    After some time the recorded items are shown.
5.    One recorded item is selected by click. Main menu closes automatically and the recorded item is played.

But additionally at this time the full screen mode is left.

Edited by Tomega

Finally I tested the behavior with use of mentioned “ESC”-key which I did not use before.

Now the step-by-step instruction
1.    DVBViewer is launched in full screen mode
2.    ESC-Key is pressed and the main menu is shown.
3.    By use of the scrolling wheel the entry “Aufnahmen” is brought in the center and is then clicked.
4.    After some time the recorded items are shown
5.    One recorded item is selected by click. Main menu closes automatically and the recorded item is played.
6.    ESC-Key is pressed again and main menu is shown.
7.    When now the mouse scroll wheel is used entries are not changing and entry “Aufnahmen” is still shown in the center but is not reacting on mouse click.

Edited by Tomega

Thanks. I've tried to follow your steps as close as possible, but couldn't reproduce the issue with the NewDefWide - HD mod OSD skin. That means, it is due to special conditions in your setup that are not present here.

When the issue occurs, did you already try to wait 1 minute or so for the OSD main menu to become responsive again? WIndows uses awful long time-outs when accessing non-existing network resources. E.g. a recording in your list that is located on an unreachable network drive may cause such issues.

Have you already checked if the default DVBViewer OSD skin causes the same issue?

1 hour ago, Tomega said:

When now the mouse scroll wheel is used entries are not changing and entry “Aufnahmen” is still shown in the center but is not reacting on a click.

Does the OSD main menu respond to keyboard input in this state, particularly OSD up/down and OSD OK (return key)?

33 minutes ago, Tomega said:

Another possibility to open the main menu is to do this by use of the right mouse button on the right side of the screen.

Depends on the Options -> OSD Mouse settings. Do they have influence on the issue?

I've played a bit with the settings and found that sometimes the OSD didn't respond to mouse input reliably, particularly on middle mouse button clicks. However, I couldn't recognize a pattern behind it yet. Maybe there's a general problem concerning the processing of mouse input in the OSD...

21 hours ago, Griga said:

Maybe there's a general problem concerning the processing of mouse input in the OSD...

I tried to check if the main menu becomes responsive again as you mentioned.
Unfortunately the main menu closes automatically after 1 min. or so. During that time it does not become responsive again. If it is called afterward it’s still not reacting to mouse commands.

Also I checked the OSD-Skin “Default”. This has no issues (except that tho loading of the recorded items taks longer than it took under DVBViewer Pro 6.x.x.x). The mouse is working normal inside main menu even if it is called several times.

So the problem occurs only with OSD-Skins NewDef, NewDefWide and NewDefWide-HD.

I checked also the behavior regarding keyboard inputs. Other than mouse commands keyboard inputs are working.
But regularly I do not use the keyboard when watching TV ?

Edited by Tomega

Maybe there's a general problem concerning the processing of mouse input in the OSD...

But the problem is not produced by OSD NewDef (and its derivates) only.
It must be caused by the combination of the OSD-Skin and the DVBViewer Pro because these OSD-Skins have been working well under DVBViewerPro 6.x.x.x resp. something that was changed during installation of the current DVBViewer Pro.

Edited by Tomega

One thing came just now into my mind:
I think that since DVBViewer Pro 7.x.x.x the manu “Aufnahmen” jumps back to the last played item (resp. shows that on top of the list) which was not the case before. Maybe this new functionality has some influence.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, Tomega said:

Also I checked the OSD-Skin “Default”. This has no issues (...) Other than mouse commands keyboard inputs are working.

That are the main points. It's a mouse-only and NewDef OSD skin-only problem on your PC. It doesn't occur on my PC, so some condition must be involved that is not present here, may be some setting that is different. A support.zip would allow me to inspect your settings.

In DVBViewer Pro 7.x.x.x there were fundamental changes concerning the handling of recordings, but nothing specifically OSD related, except

• Change: OSD: The Recordings page now also displays the year of the recording date (in 7.1.0, previously only day and month, see here).

• Fix: OSD: The OSD list of recordings did not remember the last selected item and did not scroll it into view when opened again (already in 6.1.7, see here).

The issue could be a well hidden side effect of some other change. In this case it will be hard to find, particularly as long as I'm not able to reproduce the problem. Nevertheless, since I've observed (other) occasional irregularities concerning the osd response to mouse input, I will have a closer look at the relevant code, as soon as I find time for it.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I did not fix the problem, but during installation of DVBViewer Pro 7.2.0.0 I read in the release notes the following chapter:

Added: OSD: New method for displaying the OSD with the EVR Enhanced Video Renderer (not custom) as replacement for the previously used OSD Source DirectShow Filter. Compared to the old method the new one provides a better OSD quality with various graphics cards, resembling the quality achieved with the EVR Custom Video Renderer (that is optimized for OSD output) and the MadVR Renderer, except one drawback: If video playback stops for reasons outside DVBViewer (e.g. due to signal loss), the OSD is not updated anymore, unless the user pauses, stops or restarts playback. If the new method does not yield satisfying results, a checkbox “Use OSD Source Filter” on Options → Playback Components enables to return to the previous OSD output method for the EVR Enhanced Video Renderer.

This gave me the hint to play around with the video renderer.

During that I figured out that the above described behavior does not occur, when as video renderer „EVR Custom Video Renderer“ is used. With the other selectable renderers the problem still exists. I hope that will give the key indication.

Am 14.10.2021 um 20:20 schrieb Tomega:

7.    When now the mouse scroll wheel is used entries are not changing and entry “Aufnahmen” is still shown in the center but is not reacting on a click.

I can reproduce it now with the EVR Enhanced Video Renderer and the default OSD skin, not with the NewDefWide-HD skin. The OSD main menu still responds to the mouse wheel by scrolling, but not to left button clicks while the recording is playing. Will be checked...