OSD on Locked Channels?

pankov

I'm using the latest DVBViewer Pro with TwinhanDTV Cab-CI. At the moment I don't have a CAM and I can't watch some of the channels. This is just fine but there is one problem

when I reach to such a channel I loose the OSD and have to change the channels in the dark until I reach unlocked channel again. I find this very inconvenient especially when having many pay-per-view channels in the middle of the channel list

:bye:

So the question is:

Is this behavior intentional or is it a bug? In either case can it be changed?

• 5 weeks later...

A simple workaround (oh, well, the normal way the majority of DVBViewer users usually behave, I suppose) is to zap through the favorite list, not the complete channel list... (perhaps you should reassign the "channel +" and "channel -" remote buttons)...

:)

• 2 years later...

Tjod,

10x for the suggestion. It really worked in my old XP but now I'm in Win7 and I don't use Overlay mixer any more and I'm back to the same problem.

Being mixers too why aren't the VMR/EVR capable of doing it? Will the new "Custom renderers" be able to do it?

How is it possible that noone else is complaining? Do you all like this behavior?

Cuz most users have a CAM and are using favourites instead of zapping through the whole channellist. Gioxy has already given you the answer how to do it. I suggest you look through that post again.

Edited by majstang

majstang,

I admit I should have clarified the problem.

I do have a CAM for almost 3 years now and it's not the missing CAM (or subscription for some channels) that I really see as a problem but the whole idea of disappearing OSD when changing channels. If for example I stop on a channel without signal (while zapping or while simply entering the channel number with the digit buttons and making a mistake) I have no more a way of knowing where I am - neither the miniEPG is visible/showable nor are the entered digits for another channel. Yeh, I agree that I can go to a channel that I'm 99% sure exists (and is 90+ % tunable in the same satellite (if you use DVB-S) but you'd have to agree that it's not very convenient, right? With Overlay Mixer both the EPG/full menu/OSD Channel list and the entered number appear on screen and the user can easily re-tune to the desired channel.

Imagine your TV loosing all the OSD (menus) while you are on a week or no signal channel. Would you like it?

Yes, i get the problem, but i still dont understand why not sorting all your channels you frequently watch on top of your channellist (making them get channel number 0,1,2,3 and on) and then add them to your favourite list. Then if using the favourite list you will never tune in channels with weak signal or no signal, unless you have a reason to try to tune in these channels in the first place? If so its a quite another story of course.

Edited by majstang

I prefer sorting/grouping by theme/genre/category and even though I mainly watch a couple of channels in the group I also watch the others from time to time. For example I have a favorite documentary channel but I also watch a couple of other docu channels. It's the same with sports, news and general programs. So I have my channels in custom order and the favorites organized in a few groups by genre so I don't see it feasible to totally rearrange my channels just to work around the VMR/EVR (or is it DVBV itself) limitation.

I simply can't see how it's acceptable to have the OSD dependent on the presence of video stream? I don't use DVBV for media playback but I start to wonder how does one starts the movie from the OSD if it's not present while there is no video !?!?!?

Tried the custom renderes in new beta? I've had a couple of no singnal-situations with them and at least for me osd was showing.

and why not jump directly to correct channel thru timeline etc. Don't see the point why you should run thru all you channels between..