Subtitles format issue

gabier

Hello,

I am still trying to go from a multilingual DVB-T stream to a multilingual DVD, but I start a new thread for the specific problem of subtitles. Apparently there is an issue I did not expected on the format of these subtitles.

I discovered that there are plenty of formats : .SUP .SUB, .SC, .SRT, .STL, .SSA, .SON :rolleyes: and maybe more. I do not know what they mean.

My problem is that when I demux the stream with ProjectX, its output is a .SUP file (and a .SUP.IFO one), and DVDLab does not accept this format. It wants only .SUB, .SRT, .SSA, .SON. ProjectX seems to have an option in a droplist to choose the output format but it does not work! If I choose anything, the ouput is always .SUP !!! :bye:

Anybody has ideas on this topic ? What is the original format embedded in the .TS ? Does DVBViewer do anything about this format ? Why DVDLab does not want .SUP ? Are there ways to transcode subtitles from one format to another ?

What a mess ! :D

Gab

Hi, I don't use dvdlab anymore but it is a very good authoring tool. So I can't answer your question about the right subtitle format. I had a similar problem with another authoring tool and got a tip to look for a freeware tool called Subtitle Workshop Maybe it can solve your problem :rolleyes:

Hi, I don't use dvdlab anymore but it is a very good authoring tool. So I can't answer your question about the right subtitle format. I had a similar problem with another authoring tool and got a tip to look for a freeware tool called Subtitle Workshop Maybe it can solve your problem :D

Hi Derrick,

If I trust the Subtitle Workshop's web site and the list of the supported formats, it does not support .SUP format. :(

It turns out that there are 2 main types of subtitles formats : bitmap and text (I learn everyday! ;) ) .SUP is bitmap. Of course, text-based subtitles are much easier to handle than bitmap subtitles. And if in the DVB-T stream subtitles are encoded as bitmap, DVBViewer and ProjectX cannot output something else than .SUP files. Because if one wants to converse .SUP to .SRT for instance, he has to OCR the .SUP subtitles to make text. :rolleyes:

My mood to day is : either I find a converter (there are some but I have to test them) and input text based subtitles in DVDLab, or I find an authoring tool which accepts .SUP input. I have been said that Muxman does it but its website is not very talkative about authoring features an I doubt they are very good. :bye:

Any ideas here on the best way to go ? :)

Gab

Thank you Derrick,

The thread confirms that there are 2 tools to convert .SUP to .SRT DVDSubEdit and SubRip

I have tried the first one, it crashes repeatedly after 2/3 of the processing of the subtitles of my test movie (about 1hr). :bye: Maybe it is not aimed at processing so many subtitles but only to edit a few ones.

The second one I have not yet found how to use it nor any help. :D

Difficult, difficult... :rolleyes:

Gab

either I find a converter (there are some but I have to test them) and input text based subtitles in DVDLab, or I find an authoring tool which accepts .SUP input.

You could also try IfoEDIT, DVDauthorGUI, GUIforDVDauthor, or ReJig, which all accept .sup as input, if I remember correctly.

Edited by emmel
You could also try IfoEDIT, DVDauthorGUI, GUIforDVDauthor, or ReJig, which all accept .sup as input, if I remember correctly.

Yes, I am starting a review of these tools, hoping that one of them at least is user friendly, accepts .Sup subtitles, and can author a "complex" DVD with 2 audio tracks, 1 subtitle stream, and enough menus to choose all these parameters. :rolleyes:

I'll let you know the results

Gab :bye:

• 2 years later...
Did you ever find a program that works well.
DVDAuthorGui works well with *.sup. There can also be several audio and sup language files if needed.