DVB-t - BDA Signal Stats

CX23882-19

1) Is there any possibility of having both strength and quality signalstats displayed in the channel scan window?

2) Is there any possibility of having signal quality displayed in the status bar rather than strength?

Regarding signal stats, there are some issues with how to display them:

1) Signal strength will not necessarily be on a scale of 0-100. It isn't a percentage, and even Microsoft define that it should be -ve values for sub-normal strengths, 0 for normal strength and +ve for super-normal strengths. There isn't any consistency between driver vendors either. For example, Conexant use values from -41000 to +5000, DiBcom use -20 to +70 (ish), and eMPIA use values such as 25000. Due to this, I believe that strength should be expressed numerically and not on a bar, because you don't know the range of values for any one particular device. The current method of assuming that the values range from 0 to 100 is misleading.

2) Signal Quality is supposed to be expressed as a percentage, as per Microsoft recommendations. Most drivers I've seen do comply with this. Therefore quality should be expressed graphically on a bar ranging from 0% to 100%.

• 3 weeks later...
1) Is there any possibility of having both strength and quality signalstats displayed in the channel scan window?

2) Is there any possibility of having signal quality displayed in the status bar rather than strength?

Regarding signal stats, there are some issues with how to display them:

1) Signal strength will not necessarily be on a scale of 0-100. It isn't a percentage, and even Microsoft define that it should be -ve values for sub-normal strengths, 0 for normal strength and +ve for super-normal strengths. There isn't any consistency between driver vendors either. For example, Conexant use values from -41000 to +5000, DiBcom use -20 to +70 (ish), and eMPIA use values such as 25000. Due to this, I believe that strength should be expressed numerically and not on a bar, because you don't know the range of values for any one particular device. The current method of assuming that the values range from 0 to 100 is misleading.

2) Signal Quality is supposed to be expressed as a percentage, as per Microsoft recommendations. Most drivers I've seen do comply with this. Therefore quality should be expressed graphically on a bar ranging from 0% to 100%.

I agree that a signal strenght indicator would be very usefull.

A pratical example: very havy wind moved a dish so signal gain dropped, so a visual signal indication would be helpful.

On the other hand, a signal has not te become 0% before a tuner looses the stream.

One specific tuner is a bit more sensitive then another tuner so they both will shoow small differences if it comes to poor signal quality.

But the problem is: there are various DVB receiver cards and signal strengt must be passed by the tuner.

if the card does not do it, then adding a signal indicator is not possible.

Also, I can imagine that the DVBViewer developers have not the means to test every card.

And therefore : A mpeg stream interrupt indicator, also known as signal lost is needed.

Signal lost means, a point where the tuner can not present a fluent mpeg stream to the subsystem.

Something that can be programmed without problem:

The signal lost indicator should appear OSD and long enough that people have time to see it, even when the streaam was less then 1 second interrupted. And for those who don't want to use it, user selectable from the DVBViewer options.

I'm not sure if DVBViewer offers this by default. Well, I had so many problems related to reception that I would have seen such signal los icon.

You can look in "View - Filters - DVBSource" to see all the flux relevant statistic...

Because I have only a SS2 I can't know if this is valid also with BDA cards ()...

:(