100% CPU when tuning to HD...

Travis Bell

Hey guys, I have a question for ya.

I come from a MyTheatre setup so a lot of my "expectations" come from using it. With MyTheatre, I can disable the video and tune to an HD channel with maybe 60% CPU utilisation. I usually record this way and all is well.

Upon switching to DVBViewer, I can't even tune to any HD channels, even with the A/V disabled. The second I do, my CPU goes to 100% and it will literally sit there forever. I have left it for 5 mins and nothing. I can't record or watch TV this way.

My question: what could possibly be so different between MyTheatre and DVBViewer when tuning to HD channels?

I have attached the support.zip file.

THANKS!

support.zip

..that's in fact a cross posting ;) but it describes exactly why I've recommended the null_graph_method. The DVBViewer can be tuned to a H.264 channel without the cpu jumping to 100% resulting in a deadlock to reach for the other options to disable AV :)

try to use another video decoder (Options/directx)

I have, and plus, I have the audio/video disable...

For example, I have the A/V disabled on minimize checked. I then shcdule a recording for 2 mins away. I minimize and wait. The second DVBViewer tries to tune to the HD station, it goes to 100% and I have to end the process manually.

Alternitively, same test with a SD channel.. works fine.

Thanks,

..that's in fact a cross posting ;) but it describes exactly why I've recommended the null_graph_method. The DVBViewer can be tuned to a H.264 channel without the cpu jumping to 100% resulting in a deadlock to reach for the other options to disable AV :)

I am using your method and experience the same issue hence the second post.

Cheers,

add the support.zip and tell which channels you are talking about (sat, transponder).

ps.

there could be an issue with H.264. By the time the null_graph was made, there was no H.264. The dvbsource filter might still connect to a correponding decoder. I made a graph with an additional null renderer for h.264

..sorry about the support.zip request and the sat is behind the horizon ;)

Instead of auto you should assign a a capable decoder for H.264 though your system is not really up to the task, provided we're talking about H.264 :)

...and the sat is behind the horizon ;)

Sorry, what do you mean?

Instead of auto you should assign a a capable decoder for H.264 though your system is not really up to the task, provided we're talking about H.264 :)

I will try that but seems to me Nimiq 2 still carrying nothing but MPEG2, how about then? I know MyTheatre hums along around 60%...

Thanks,

Edited by Travis Bell

behind or below the horizon means, that I would need to drill a hole through mother earth to see the satellite on 82 degree west ;)

ps.

hmm, I had a look on the satellite chart. Which CI-module are you using? If you answer is none, we should stop here, cos apparently everything on this bird is scrambled :)

behind or below the horizon means, that I would need to drill a hole through mother earth to see the satellite on 82 degree west ;)

*lol*

Wasn't sure if you meant literally or not.

:)

So, just to clarify one more thing, lets say I set the timer to record for 1 minute... even when it's done she's still sittin' there at 100%... just completely clobbering my system. Man, wish I could figure this one out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to update this thread so everyone knows.

No matter what settings I tried in DVBViewer, I couldn't get this fixed. Just to compare, the EXACT same codec setup, with the EXACT same plugins and tuned to the EXACT same channel and with ALL 3 of these apps. This is what I have:

A/V Disabled

MyTheatre: 60% CPU usage

DVBViewer: 100% CPU usage

DVBDream: 25% CPU usage

A/V Enabled

MyTheatre: 100% CPU usage

DVBViewer: 100% CPU usage

DVBDream: 50% CPU usage

Obviously, there is a huge difference between the way these 3 apps are programmed. Here's what I learned though. I have an AMD Sempron 3000 and I can not only record HD perfectly fine, but I can even watch it too.

I don't know if this will ever change for DVBViewer (it no doubt has the most/best features) but at this point I am sad I spent the money on it.

Cheers guys,

with the EXACT same plugins.. ..but at this point I am sad I spent the money on it.

you never answered the question about the CI-module you're using for decrypting the pay-tv channels. Anything else is illegal and by no means included in the licence fee for using the DVBViewer.

It's your [removed] that drives up your CPU-usage. On my P4 3,6, it can increase the CPU load from around 30% using cam, to 70-100% using this "forbidden" plug-in..

You haven't stated but I'm quite sure you use [removed].. :bye:

BTW, I do use CI/Cam and an official subscription.

Edit:

I know it's not welcome to discuss [removed] etc, but it's the cause of many, if not all, complaints about high cpu-usage on DVBViewer compared to other software.

Maybe there should be a sticky about this to end the high-CPU threads..?!?

hey retro,

Yes, it is a [removed] plugin. I am sure this affects the performance, I mean, it's decoding on the fly in software, however, the point of my argument was simply that using that same [removed] plugin with other apps doesn't seem to affect my CPU usage nearly as much as with DVBViewer.

And yes, I agree that perhaps there should be a stick that says "if you're using a [removed], you are going to have higher CPU usage" :bye:

Cheers mate,

..you're a hardheaded user. I've told you before, that you are using illegal plugins. Read the rules ! The web is full of information. It's up to you to find a solution for your problem. But don't ask here again. Otherwise we have to block you :bye: