Girder 4.x plugin for DVBViewer 3.6

Hello from a DVBViewer newbie (and a non German speaker to boot!),

Here's a plug-in to interface Girder 4.x with DVBViewer 3.6, and a readme.txt file which describes the plugin and its key features.

There are a few rough edges, and I am still experimenting with things, but the plugin has worked well in my system over the last couple of weeks.

I welcome any feedback (and will wait for reactions before posting it officially on the Girder forum).

Eiffel

Eiffel__s_Girder_4.0_plugin_for_DVB_Viewer_3.6__Beta_.zip

Edited by Eiffel
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To the last free version of girder (v3.29) there are a DVBViewer com control plugin and the Igor-plugin (for RS232-command) for receiving infra-red signals. Do I still need these plugins when I install girder 4 and use your plugin?

My Girder 4 plugin works by itself, provided you have a remote which can interact with Girder.

In other words, the required programming to interact between Girder and DVBViewer is including in the plugin I wrote.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all,

I have a Denon AVC-A11SR which has a serial port and can accept RS232 commands.... I was wondering if anyone would be willing to write a plugin for DVBViewer which could be used to control certain functions on Denon amps? (also on other amps / components if the relavant protocols could be found.)

The main idea for me atm would be to switch the amp to PCM input when DVBViewer is viewing a channel that has a stereo / Pro-Logic soundtrack. In other words, my HTPC is hooked up to the Denon's EXT IN inputs with analog cables from an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 card, which is great for AC3 stuff, but I would prefer to use the amp's Pro-LogicII decoder to listen to non-AC3 channels.

The optical output from the sound card is also hooked up to the Denon, so you can choose between the 5.1 / 7.1 analog inputs, or the 2-channel PCM input. I've tried using AC3Filter and Cyberlink Audio Decoder for doing the Pro-Logic decoding, but it either doesn't work at all, or sounds terrible.

The protocol for the Denon amps has been mentioned before on this forum, and the pdf can be found here....

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR4306_C4320_PROTOCOL_4.6.pdf

The Denon amps which have serial ports also report information back to the PC, like the volume levels and surround modes etc. You could even use the serial port commands for auto speaker level calibration, or multi-room control?

I'm sure there are many other useful things which could be done with this (and for other components). So, would anyone be interested in taking this further?

OzOnE.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Denon protocol scripts on the Proximis site gave me a few ideas, so cheers for that! :bye:

Edited by OzOnE_2k6

Hi

I have been trying to get this plugin to work with my system and the latest version of girder. All that works is that DVBViewer will launch and thats it, no other buttons work. I'm using a MCE remote with the universal driver and the MCE Remote plugin. I have checked the remote commands you have setup and they all seem to be mapped correctly to my remote.

Is there anything I have to setup in DVBViewer to make this work?

Thanks

Whitey

Hi

I have been trying to get this plugin to work with my system and the latest version of girder. All that works is that DVBViewer will launch and thats it, no other buttons work. I'm using a MCE remote with the universal driver and the MCE Remote plugin. I have checked the remote commands you have setup and they all seem to be mapped correctly to my remote.

Is there anything I have to setup in DVBViewer to make this work?

Thanks

Whitey

Whitey,

It's strange that only launching DVBViewer works (You may have to restart girder to get the remaining functionality of this plugin, or alternatively you'll need to manually execute the scripts associated with On GirderOpen). With this done, if you open the Lua script console and event logger while DVBViewer is active, you should see that girder and DVBViewer are interacting... Provided DVBViewer has focus, you should be able to use your remote to control it as well.

Let me know if you see some errors in the console when doing the above, as there might be something wrong with your settings or the plugin.

Eiffel

Whitey,

It's strange that only launching DVBViewer works (You may have to restart girder to get the remaining functionality of this plugin, or alternatively you'll need to manually execute the scripts associated with On GirderOpen). With this done, if you open the Lua script console and event logger while DVBViewer is active, you should see that girder and DVBViewer are interacting... Provided DVBViewer has focus, you should be able to use your remote to control it as well.

Let me know if you see some errors in the console when doing the above, as there might be something wrong with your settings or the plugin.

Eiffel

Thanks. I'm far from a girder expert but when DVBViewer is running, in the girder log when I press a button on the remote it states that "Lua success (Nothing Triggered)" So I guess this is where the problem is.

Whitey

It would appear your remote and the plugin are not communicating... but this could be due to many things.

If you open Girder, and launch DVBViewer, switch to Girder, Press F12, do you see a variable named 'DVBV' in the window (scrolling may be necessary). This would indicated whether the plugin is operating.

You could go into the plugin and highlight one of the DVBV commands and press F5. this would send a command to DVBV without using your remote. if this works, then it probably means that you need to assign events to your remote buttons.

Let me know how it goes.

Eiffel

It would appear your remote and the plugin are not communicating... but this could be due to many things.

If you open Girder, and launch DVBViewer, switch to Girder, Press F12, do you see a variable named 'DVBV' in the window (scrolling may be necessary). This would indicated whether the plugin is operating.

You could go into the plugin and highlight one of the DVBV commands and press F5. this would send a command to DVBV without using your remote. if this works, then it probably means that you need to assign events to your remote buttons.

Let me know how it goes.

Eiffel

F12 shows DVBV running. Testing a button by pressing F5 doesn't work because DVBViewer is not in focus so nothing happens.

Thanks for the help

Whitey

Ok, if F12 shows some DVBV variables, this means that some of the plugin code is executed.

Still with DVBV in the background, and Girder 4.0 in the foregroud, press F4 and F7 to show the logger and console. Do you see any messages (either error or messages telling you about connections with DVBV)?

In theory, with the latest version of DVBViewer, the plugin and DVBV should be in communication. if not, try executing the code associated with 'OnTaskCreate DVBV'. This code should be triggered automatically if you have the TaskCreate and TaskSwitch plugins active in Girder (which is a prerequisite for the plugin).

By the way, if you highlight a command in the Girder tree and Press F5, this should communicate with DVBV even if Girder has focus.

Let me know what happens.

Eiffel

Ok, if F12 shows some DVBV variables, this means that some of the plugin code is executed.

Still with DVBV in the background, and Girder 4.0 in the foregroud, press F4 and F7 to show the logger and console. Do you see any messages (either error or messages telling you about connections with DVBV)?

In theory, with the latest version of DVBViewer, the plugin and DVBV should be in communication. if not, try executing the code associated with 'OnTaskCreate DVBV'. This code should be triggered automatically if you have the TaskCreate and TaskSwitch plugins active in Girder (which is a prerequisite for the plugin).

By the way, if you highlight a command in the Girder tree and Press F5, this should communicate with DVBV even if Girder has focus.

Let me know what happens.

Eiffel

I have the same problem as Whitey. I should admit that I am running in Windows Vista. The LUA log when testing the OnTaskCreate DVBV looks like follows:

********************************************************************************

**********'

Welcome to Promixis Girder 4.0!

Line1 - DVD Viewer

Line2 - Starting DVBViewer

[string "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml:\DVBViewer 3.6\O..."]:5: attempt to call global `AdjustAudio' (a nil value)

stack traceback:

[string "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml:\DVBViewer 3.6\O..."]:5: in main chunk

********************************************************************************

So the COM interface is never initialized due to an error in the AdjustAudio global.

Any ideas?

/Peter

Ok guys, if the problem is with AdjustAudio, define this function in the initialization script so that it returns nothing:

function AdjustAudio()

end

This should clear the hurdle which Peter described. I do not have the luxury of a testing system which is separate from my HTPC, and this function is a global function which is not specific to the DVBViewer application and defined elsewhere. What it does, in case you're curious, is to adjust my sound card and receiver to route the audio signal properly.

Let me know how it goes then (hopefully there won't be other underfined variables or functions... if this were the case though, please let me know -and, if in a rush, try to initialize these variables or functions with dummy values as for AdjustAudio).

It may take me a while to get back to you as I'm having difficulties with my ISP

Eiffel

Works for me :bye:

I'd be more than happy to help other people to get it working (time permitting), but without a description of what is happening this is proving very difficult...

With the suggested change to AdjustAudio, does the plugin work better, or do you get some other error messages in either the lua console or the Girder logger?

Eiffel

Works for me :bye:

I'd be more than happy to help other people to get it working (time permitting), but without a description of what is happening this is proving very difficult...

With the suggested change to AdjustAudio, does the plugin work better, or do you get some other error messages in either the lua console or the Girder logger?

Eiffel

I'm sorry but I don't know girder enough to follow what you saying. I haven't had the time recently to invest in getting it to work. I'll have another go during the holiday

Thanks again

Whitey

• 1 month later...
Ok guys, if the problem is with AdjustAudio, define this function in the initialization script so that it returns nothing:

function AdjustAudio()

end

Ok, I didn´t manage to find out where to insert that function, but I found a different solution. The AudioAdjust-Error was shown in console as soon as I switched from Girder to DVBV. So I rightclicked on "On TaskSwitch DVBV" within Girder and selected "Edit". I deleted the line where AudioAdjust is called, clicked on "Apply" and "Close" and "Save". After a restart, Girder connected to DVBV and happily let me switch between stations. When I closed DVBV, console showed another error, concerning a shutdown-function I found (and deleted) at "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml > DVBViewer > DVBViewer Events > On Close" > Edit. Now DVBV closes without an error in the console but after a restart of tv-software, Girder won't reconnect.

With some more bugfixing (I'm willing to help with testing) this could become a nicely working plugin ;-)

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, and creative solutions to make this plugin work. I *think* I've addressed both issues in the version of the plugin I uploaded on the Girder site earlier in the week. It can be downloaded from:

http://www.promixis.com/downloads.php?mode...odName=Girder+4

The only caveat at the moment is due to the support of both DVBV GE and the regular DVBV 3.6.x... if you have both installed this seems to confuse the plugin at times (It shouldn't... and I could deactivate the DVBV GE instruction to remove this issue completely).

Let me know how it goes.

Eiffel

I *think* I've addressed both issues in the version of the plugin I uploaded on the Girder site earlier in the week.

Ok, no AudioAdjust-problem but:

[string "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml:\DVBViewer 3.6\O..."]:4: attempt to index global `VFD' (a nil value)

So I'll standby, waiting for the next update ;-)

Tim

PS: Only DVBV 3.6 here, no GE.

Edited by timmey

Darn!

This is very strange. If you open the On GirderOpen macro event, is the 'VFD Simulator' action enabled? Try highlighting it, and pressing F5. This should make this error disappear, until you restart Girder.

I do need to investigate what's going on, because the VFD variable should be initialised automatically

Eiffel

If you open the On GirderOpen macro event, is the 'VFD Simulator' action enabled?

How can I tell?

Try highlighting it, and pressing F5. This should make this error disappear, until you restart Girder.

Yes, that works.

Tim

How can I tell?

Yes, that works.

Tim

Tim,

Once you've pressed F5 as above, do you experience any other issues, and does the Girder Lua Console show some helpful messages?

I need to investigate why the VFD script doesn't launch automatically, but in the meantime I'd like to know if there are other issues to address.

Actually, just a quick check, when you open the 'On GirderOpen' macro, does the symbol before the VFD Simulator action look shaded? If that's the case, highlight it, check the 'Enabled' box on the General panel (on the left hand side of the Girder action tree), and save the script... it may be as simple as that!

Thanks

Eiffel

Edited by Eiffel

After the last test I replaced the latest version of your script with an earlier one which I had edited to make it work. Now, when I reinstalled the latest script to test again, it started up properly. The error showed up only once in about 5 or 6 starts and it seems to make no difference whether Girder or DVBV is started first.

I know that's programmers hell, but that's what it's like ;-)

Tim

• 1 month later...

This plugin works fine for me. The only problem I have is that it responds slowly (probably 0,5 sec after buttons are pressed). This is annoying when I scroll meus etc. I do not know if this is easy to fix.

I have also commented out DVDV.cookie3 and DVBV.timer in DVBViewer luacom initiation.

harry(square)

I'm glad that the plugin is working for you.

The delay you're experiencing, which is on average 0.5 sec and can go up to 1 sec, is due to how often I poll for updates. If you want more frequent updates, replace the value in "DVBV.timer:Arm(1000)" (around line 315 in the script) with a lower value such as 250(ms).

I'd be interested in what you've done with DVBV.cookies3 and .time, so as to incorporate your mods into the next version of the plugin.

Eiffel

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have been trying this plugin out with the newest DVBViewer 3.9.1.

It seems to kind of work. I can get it to receive commands and show the vfd stuff in girder console. But I also have the following problems

1. It eats a lot of resources (girder is using 50% of cpu while the com-connection is online between DVBViewer and girder). I think it might be due to the several teletext-events DVBViewer sends to girder every second. Could this be somehow fixed?

2. Also it seems that the onclose-event of the girder plugin doesn't get automatically triggered despite of my attempts to tune the window conditional (or is it maybe triggered by something else?)

3. I have no idea how i should edit the code so that i could reroute the lcd-information to my matrix orbital lcd. I've already been able to make the lcd to work with lcd g4 plugin. Could someone give me some tips what to edit to accomplish this?

I'm using girder 5 beta if that matters. I don't know practically anything about LUA so my attempts at editing the code haven't been very fruitful.

Thanks for all the help and tips in advance,

Petteri Hjort

• 5 weeks later...

Since the plugin for Girder 3.2 stopped working for me I tried this one with girder 4 instead and it works just fine.

But is there a simple way to add "Favourite up" and "Favourite down" functions to the plugin?

(I´d like to use that instead of Channel up and down)

I´ve been trying to figure that out but I guess my knowledge about these things just isn´t good enough.

• 9 months later...

Hi there!

I just installed Girder 4 and assigned the IR commands I need with all dvbv commands, but every time I press a button on my remote or F5 one of the commands I always get this message in the LUA console:

[string "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml:\DVBViewer 3.6\D..."]:1: attempt to index global `DVBV' (a nil value)

stack traceback:

[string "Eiffel DVBViewer 3.6.gml:\DVBViewer 3.6\D..."]:1: in main chunk

It doesn't matter if it's a command where I learned another IR command or if its one I didn't touch. It's always the same message.

Can anybody help me with that problem?

Best regards

Jacomo