PowerDVD 7.1 or .2

Jockeb

I would like to use 7.1 for my HTPC to be able to play my HD-DVD but when i installed it DVBViewer complained so i had to roll back to 7.0.

Has anyone got the newer powerdvd working ?

You cannot download it.

You have to buy PowerDVD Ultra. If you start the installation, you can chosse either BD or HD_DVD edition.

There is a little trick to enable HDDVD.

Download the Ultra package and rename the directory PDVDBD to PDVDHD and run the setup.exe file!!!

Edited by emilot
I got PowerDVD Ultra BD Edition working.

Did you tried the HD DVD too? Isn't it that good as BD?

H.264 decoding seems to be almost perfect.

Almost? What's still "wrong"?

Edited by MarSch2

I did not try HD_DVD edition. I think if you do not not own a BD or HD_DVD disk drive and you only want to playback normal DVDs and use the DirectShow decoders (H.264, MPEG2, Audio) there should be no difference between the two versions.

Almot perfect means that no more frames are dropped, but the playback is still not as smooth as it is when decoding MPEG2. This is very good for my configuration (Pentium 4 at 3GHz with HT (one CPU core) and a Geforce 7600GS graphics card). I think the decoder is as fast as CoreAVC when using a Geforce 7 graphics card for video acceleration.

Almot perfect means that no more frames are dropped, but the playback is still not as smooth

Have you ever noted jarring of titles, especially those horizontally shifting?

Almot perfect means that no more frames are dropped, but the playback is still not as smooth as it is when decoding MPEG2. This is very good for my configuration (Pentium 4 at 3GHz with HT (one CPU core) and a Geforce 7600GS graphics card). I think the decoder is as fast as CoreAVC when using a Geforce 7 graphics card for video acceleration.

DVBViewer is not working very well with VMR7 and VMR9. At least in my system the filter chain is not synchronized to the audio clock with VMR7 or VMR9. Sync is only happening if I disconnect OSD from the video renderer filter.

However, overlay renderer synchronize perfectly. I get perfectly flawless H.264 picture with overlay and reclock. Have you tried that configuration?

Of course I used overlay. I did not see any problems.

Reason I was asking is that I don't see any difference between MPEG2 and H.264 when

using overlay. You just might look more carefully. With VMR7 or VMR9 there is clear difference.

....I get perfectly flawless H.264 picture with overlay and reclock. Have you tried that configuration?

Please advise how do you integrate the "reclock" with DVBViewer ?

Thanks,

Please advise how do you integrate the "reclock" with DVBViewer ?

Thanks,

Install Reclock and set it as the DVBViewer Audio renderer (DirectX settings).

@mitsu thanks,

Did you notice any improvement using "reclock"

Thanks.

Yes, there is a visible improvement. Depends of course on how well the system happens to be in sync

without reclock. Biggest improvement is visible with HD material. Difference is easiest to see with quite quick panning where you can see if the panning is not smooth.

Sorry for the long wait,

I tried it again and now it works ...

don't know what I did wrong the first time , maybe I forgot to activate it ?

Now both HD-dvd & DVBViewer works and deintelace in discovery hd & voom hd are mutch better with 7.1