Audio Problems...

antdude

Hello!

I am using DVBViewer v3.5.0 with AC3 Filter v1.09a). I noticed all HDTV (720p and 1080i)'s audios (TV shows and commercials) are perfect (AC3 Filter shows center channel too downmixing to 4.1 speakers setup I have). However, non-HDTV shows have much lower sound volume and does not show center and rear channels (must be in stereo).

How can I have the audio louder for these non-HDTV parts? It can be live and from recordings. Also, these are ATSC since I live in Los Angeles, CA, USA. I am using an old Klipsch ProMedia v2-400 (4.1 speaker setup; analog connections), Creative Audigy 2 ZS with the latest drivers, Windows XP Pro. SP2 (IE6.0 SP2; all updates, DirectX 9.0c), etc.

Thank you in advance. :bye:

Edited by antdude
How can I have the audio louder for these non-HDTV parts?

...pump up the volume! :rofl: :dvbviewer:

ok, serously... look in "Settings / Options / TV + Radio": there you can check "Remember volume for each channel and, if you need it, "Remember audio balance for each channel"...

:bye:

...pump up the volume! :rofl: :dvbviewer:

ok, serously... look in "Settings / Options / TV + Radio": there you can check "Remember volume for each channel and, if you need it, "Remember audio balance for each channel"...

Heh, it is already cranked up half-way up on my speakers and the sound volume is at the max in DVBViewer! And my Windows' sound effects are too loud already. :)

I will try that volume remembrance thing. I never saw that option before. I hope it is there in v3.5.0.

How about for non-HDTV vs. HDTV? Because commercials are so quiet.

Edited by antdude
I hope it is there in v3.5.0

Uhm, dunno if there are in that ver... but why you don't upgrade to last DVBV ver.? There are a lot of improvements :)

Oh, and if you'd prefer, I think you know well you can install it in a different folder to test it as match as you wish, without any interference with your running installation (only one suggestion: install it in "Compatible mode")...

Because commercials are so quiet

Did you mean while watching the same channel?

IMHO this isn't up some config hw/sw but it's depending on broadcaster's policy about it...

In Italy we have had need of a law to limitate to only +15% the vol difference between the show time and the commercial inserted into it (before they deafen as with +50% and even more! :dvbviewer: )

Edited by Gioxy
Uhm, dunno if there are in that ver... but why you don't upgrade to last DVBV ver.? There are a lot of improvements :D

Oh, and if you'd prefer, I think you know well you can install it in a different folder to test it as match as you wish, without any interference with your running installation (only one suggestion: install it in "Compatible mode")...

Did you mean while watching the same channel?

IMHO this isn't up some config hw/sw but it's depending on broadcaster's policy about it...

In Italy we have had need of a law to limitate to only +15% the vol difference between the show time and the commercial inserted into it (before they deafen as with +50% and even more! :dvbviewer: )

If I were to upgrade, do I have to reconfigure everything (pain in the but; I only upgrade if there is something significantly better -- still waiting for working subtitles :bye: ) if I were to upgrade over my old one?

Yes, same channel. Remember, it is seen in SD (non-HDTV) commercials with HDTV shows. I also upgraded AC3 Filter to v1.1, but that didn't help. :)

Also, I checked the volume settings, they are at maximum already in DVBViewer. It just bugs me that non-HDTV commercials are friggin quiet.

Edited by antdude
do I have to reconfigure everything ... if I were to upgrade over my old one?

I can't know if such a jump (3.5 -> 3.6) retain all configs... I'm sure for the majority (and, obviously, you will find all new features unconfigured), but if I remember well, there is some difference in the channel file type...

My suggest for a painless testing is: copy the whole working config folder with a different name (eg. C:\Program Files\DVBViewerTest), test it (to be sure it work like the original!) and then upgrade to the last ver. in this new folder (remember, in "Compatible mode"!)...

:dvbviewer:

I can't know if such a jump (3.5 -> 3.6) retain all configs... I'm sure for the majority (and, obviously, you will find all new features unconfigured), but if I remember well, there is some difference in the channel file type...

My suggest for a painless testing is: copy the whole working config folder with a different name (eg. C:\Program Files\DVBViewerTest), test it (to be sure it work like the original!) and then upgrade to the last ver. in this new folder (remember, in "Compatible mode"!)...

Just to before I jump to it, what does this compatible mode do that non-compatible mode do?

You can keep your working DVBViewer. Just install the latest version into a new folder (upgrading is highly recommended cos no support for outdated versions).

With ATSC audio is always AC-3. Mpeg1/layer2 sound is only used with DVB. Switching between different ac3 modes (e.g.: 2.0, 5.1) depending on the content of the channel can cause a change in the loudness. There's not much the DVBViewer can do. Try to adjust the parameters of the AC-3 filter..

In the compatible mode the settings are saved in the DVBViewer folder (UserMode=0).

In the other in "Documents and Settings" one time in all users (UserMode=1) or for each user in his own folder(UserMode=2).

You could change it by editing the UserMode.ini.

You find the joust config folder in DVBViewer About>Info..>Versionsinfo-> the blue link.

You can keep your working DVBViewer. Just install the latest version into a new folder (upgrading is highly recommended cos no support for outdated versions).

With ATSC audio is always AC-3. Mpeg1/layer2 sound is only used with DVB. Switching between different ac3 modes (e.g.: 2.0, 5.1) depending on the content of the channel can cause a change in the loudness. There's not much the DVBViewer can do. Try to adjust the parameters of the AC-3 filter..

Yeah, I think that is what is happening. 2.0 vs. 5.1 (actually 4.1 since it is downmixxed). Do real television sets have this problem too or only AC3 Filter/computer have this problem? And do 2.0 audio always have software after playing 5.1?

I will check out the DVBViewer beta or whatever when I have time. I just don't see anything big in changelog that would change much for me. I think the big changes I am waiting for is subtitle fix which is busted in 3.5 (timing is way off). Everything else works for me in v3.5. I only use channel listing, record, timeshifting, and play. That's it. Just a basic DVR for me. :dvbviewer:

I am going to bed so I will check and reply later.

It looks like AC3 Filter is the culprit after fiddling with my system's sound setup for over hours.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/59169/1962117 has a 17 seconds 20 MB MPEG-2 video clip of a HDTV recording (a TV ad in stereo and Lost in its 5.1). See if your AC3 Filter has the same problem.

I disabled AC3 Filter and tried making Windows Media Player v6.4 and Classic to use CyberLink Audio Decoder (PowerDVD 7) with 4 speaker setup. Audio were even in both non-HDTV and HDTV. Even the rear speakers played properly with HDTV (5.1 sound).

I think there's something wrong with AC3 Filter on my machine. I wonder why. :dvbviewer: I will use CyberLink's audio decoder at the moment until I can fix this AC3 issue.

Edited by antdude

In my PC, with AC3filter 1.11 and 5.1 output downmixed to stereo (I have only 2 speaker), the audio level hearded in the two parts is the same...

I also noticed that in the 5.1 part, the equal audio level is achived on the central channel, while the others ch are very quiet...

So probably it depends on the matrix choosen to dowmnix, and/or on the (external?) volume (hw?) setted for the various output channels, namely for the central....

Edited by Gioxy
In my PC, with AC3filter 1.11 and 5.1 output downmixed to stereo (I have only 2 speaker), the audio level hearded in the two parts is the same...

I also noticed that in the 5.1 part, the equal audio level is achived on the central channel, while the others ch are very quiet...

So probably it depends on the matrix choosen to dowmnix, and/or on the (external?) volume (hw?) setted for the various output channels, namely for the central....

Well, here's my setup and what I did. I tried the defaults in AC3 Filter's settings. I tried various speaker setups (even tried just stereo even for 5.1 sounds), enabling/disabling options like normalize, bits, matrix, etc. Someone else suggested to play with the CMSS in Creative's programs. I tried that and that didn't do anything. I am at a loss what else to try with the AC3 Filter.

At work, I installed AC3 Filter v1.11 and other goodies (especially MPEG-2 and Media Player Classic) from the latest K-Lite Codec Full pack. I tested the short video clip I posted earlier. I hear the same low volume in non-HDTV part (TV ad) and the louder volume (Lost). The speaker setup is in stereo and the sound card was a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio (onboard in this Dell Optiplex machine)?

So, it can't be my computer, speakers, Windows, sound card, and drivers. It sounds like AC3 Filter's problem or maybe my recording (but PowerDVD's audio plays it fine)? :bounce:

Is anyone else having this problem too?