recording Audio directly to mp3

Klausing

It would be nice if we could record sound direct to mp3. mp3DirectCut have such a function. It use Lame_enc.dll for fast encoding.

At this time i play the radio station with DVBViewer and record directly to an mp3 file with mp3DirectCut. It would be nice if i could do this directly with the viewer.

With this option, i think you never need anymore support for mp3-satellite-radio becuse you can record every station themself to a mp3 file(if your pc is fast enough) :angry: .

cheers

Steffen

Guest Oliver

Yeah, that's a good idea, at any rate for radio-recording. I've sent you a DS-filter for experimenting. It should be possible to integrate this filter into the DVBViewer.

Bis dann, Oliver

Ohhhh i love this forum :angry:

Only a little stone in the water and you can surf of the big wave which was created by the forum.

But i cant use the lame_directshow Filter direct in the DVBViewer.

the CLSID is {B8D27088-DF5F-4B7C-98DC-0E91A1696286}. If i want to use it directly as Audio Filter in the DVBViewer i get following Errormessage:

"Die Anweisung in "0x0192a373" verweist auf Speicher in "0x000000ec"Der Vorgang read konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durchgeführt werden.

And after that i get Message:

"Unbekannter Softwarefehler (0x0eedfade) ist in der Anwendung an der Stelle 0x77e8e8bb aufgetreten"

Now i have 100% reception but not sound or video. The reason is that the DVBViewer.exe is not complete killed.

Maybe we must put the lame fiter behind the mpg2-audio-filter. But at this time we cant make it directly with the DVBViewer. At this moment i cant build a working graph with this DS-Filter (also not with graphedit). I think with this detailed discussion we should go to DVB - The technique behind.

Maybe mprDirectCut goes an other way an use the output of the soundcard for decoding .

By the way it must be possible to integreat this in the viewer.

(Maybe with a litte record plugin from a good plugin programmer :D ?)

Guest Oliver

In any case I've sent this filter to Christian, too. I think he can do something with it. The filter has to be put after the Odio (or corresponding MPG2-audio-decoder) because it can't use MP2-input. That's just theory - I haven't got it working yet, too.

Bye, Oliver

I think we have an error in reasoning. From the satellite we get a mpg2-audio-stream. If we want to record to mp3 we have to encode (for instance with lame_enc.dll) the stream. So we dont need the DS-filter.

So the "only" thing what we need is a detour over the Encoder for saving mp3. Maybe there is the possibility for an option in the recorder control.

Guest Oliver

Hah? :angry:

The stream delivers MPG-1 layer 2 audio. The LAME-DS-filter can't use that. The Odio-decoder can work with that input and delivers PCM which can be used the LAME-DS-filter.

If we want to record to mp3 we have to encode (for instance with lame_enc.dll) the stream. So we dont need the DS-filter.

No offense intended, but: Why not, I mean when do you want to convert to MP3? It has to be done after the MP2 decoding and before the audio-rendering. I'm not sure I understand your proposal. :D I thought the DS-filter just does that.

Bye, Oliver

Guest Oliver

@DAvenger:

May I ask where can I obtain this filter?

You may ask. :angry:

It's contained in the NIMO-Codec-pack, but I've sent it to Christian, too. I could post it here if you like, it's about 78 KB.

Bye, Oliver

May I ask where can I obtain this filter?
http://www.elecard.net.ru/download/ look at "MPEG Layer III Audio Encoder for DirectShow"

or look at http://www.souxin.com/mpeg4software.htm, there you can find find

Lame 3.88a8 - best and free MP3 encoder

Lame ACM - LAME codec for the use in VirtualDub, FlaskMpeg and ac3dec

Lame dshow - direct show filter of LAME

an other helpfull downloads!

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, here is a filter graph for watching/listening to TV and recording audio as mp3 at the same time - successfully tested with GraphEdit :angry::DB) .

I did the following:

- Launched DVBViewer and tuned "Das Erste". Then closed DVBViewer.

- Launched GraphEdit, selected "Render URL", entered b2c2src://101-102.mpg

- Inserted the Infinite Pin Tee Filter, that should be present in your system (file qcap.dll). It is necessary for connecting the Default DirectSound Device and the Lame Encoder to the mpeg audio decoder.

- Inserted the LAME mpeg3 audio encoder

- Inserted WAV dest. This filter is part of the DirectX SDK (source only). You can find a compiled version here - download demo project, extract wavdest.ax from the ZIP file and register it. It has to be put in between the lame encoder and the file writer filter (seems to be a general solution for connecting encoders to the file writer).

- Inserted the file writer filter, entered test.mp3 as output file

- Connected the filters as shown below

- Let the graph play and stopped it after a while

And here are the (unsolved) problems I've encountered:

- The tooltip for the test.mp3 file showed a bitrate of 0 kbps (on the lame encoder property page I had selected 96 kbps), and WMP 7 couldn't play it (unknown error), but DVBViewer, BSPlayer and ZoomPlayer did it without problems. The property page of the mp3 decoder showed the correct bitrate.

- GraphEdit wasn't able to save the Graph as a GRF file - after saving and reloading most of the filters were missing. So after closing and relaunching GraphEdit the graph has to be rebuilt manually :D

Maybe someone else finds a solution for that...

Griga

Guest Oliver

It also functions this way, so you can listen to the final result. :angry:

GraphEdit wasn't able to save the Graph as a GRF file - after saving and reloading most of the filters were missing.

After reloading every filter was there - but they weren't connected.

Bye, Oliver

PS: Both Griga's and mine version don't seem to function with the Graphedit version "DirectX 9.0 - build 021204", the program just shuts down.

Well, I've sent the graph and the filters to Christian, but it seems that he doesn't feel very much like including this as a DVBViewer feature... and indeed it would be a bit odd to add a "mp3 Recording" button, which won't work, unless the user gets the necessary filters from somewhere else and installs them :D

Perhaps it will be possible to write a DVBViewer plugin for direct mp3 recording (Chistian says, it is). I hope in the summer holidays I'll find some time to look in this direction... :angry:

Griga

Oh griga i wish you short sommer holidays B):D

OK, OK it was a joke, but it would be very nice if you would do this. Maybe there is somebody faster than you :angry:

But i can understand Christian. Some people have enough problems with the mpg2-filter. and now an other problem with an other filter ....

cheers

Steffen

• 1 month later...

Finally it's done - at least a beta version of an audio recorder plugin. I've just uploaded it to the members area, so you may pick it up there - beta testers ahead!

Because I'm a bit tired now (a lot of MSDN reading about DirectShow had to be done), I just copy the ReadMe included in the plugin package to here.

Enjoy

Griga

P.S I've forgotten something in the ReadMe: The plugins stores the files by default in the folder you have selected for the DVBViewer videos (it reads the path from the setup.ini).

Audio Recorder Plugin for DVBViewer

Version 1.0 beta by Griga

The package contains the following files:

- AudioRecorder.dll: Just put it into the DVBViewer/Plugins folder.

- Readme.rtf: This text.

- AudioRecorder.dpr/pas/dfm: The source code for all Delphi enthusiasts. It shows how to manipulate the DVBViewer filter graph in a plugin. If you only want to use the plugin, you don't need these files.

Please note:The plugin needs the latest DVBViewer version 1.99 R6.

Please note again: It only works, if you have two additional filters installed:

- The MPEG Layer III Audio Encoder for DirectShow - a DirectShow version of the famous Lame Encoder. It's free, available at http://www.elecard.com/download/ and provided with a batch file, that registers the filter in your system.

- The WavDest Filter, which is part of the MicroSoft SDK. You find a compiled ready-to-use version at http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DShowEncoder.asp. Download the Demo Project, get the file WavDest.ax out of it and store it at some appropriate location on your hard disk. This one has to be registered manually in your system with regsvr32.exe, as described in chapter 10 of the DVBViewer helpfile.

Plugin Features

- Direct audio recording of radio- or TV broadcasts as MP3 or WAV.

- Audio recording as MP3 or WAV, while playing a media file with DVBViewer. Thus the plugin may be used for conversion, e.g if you play a recorded mp2 file, you can record it again as MP3 or WAV.

- Access to the property page of the Lame Encoder. There you may select different bitrates or quality levels, for example. Important: Make sure that "PES" is unchecked on the property page, otherwise you may get a bad sound quality, and some players won't play the files.

- Recording a video with DVBViewer, and at the same time recording the sound as MP3/WAV to an extra file (if your PC and hard disk are fast enough). Important: For this, precede as follows:

Start audio recording via plugin -> start video recording with DVBViewer ->

-> Stop video recording -> Stop audio reccording.

Plugin Drawbacks

- For some unknown reason it doesn't work with Marfi's rendercore yet (resulting filesize 0 bytes or not playable). So you have to choose the SkyStar 4.2 rendercore in the DVBViewer options, if you want to get clean MP3 or WAV files. Marfi is already looking after it and made it work on his computer, but unfortunately only on his computer -_- nobody is able to explain why it doesn't work on others.

- The WAV files are recorded with the same sample rate as the DVB audio stream (48 khz). Therefore they can't be used for creating audio CDs, but must be downsampled to 44.1 khz first with some conversion software, e.g. DBPowerAmp. Nero Burning ROM, however, creates audio CDs out of the 48 khz files, and my CD player plays them, but with a bad sound quality - anyhow, you can try... and if you know a DirectShow filter which is able to do the downsampling, please let me know.

- The Lame MP3 Encoder optionally offers a sample rate of 44.1 khz on it's property page, but it doesn't work - the MP3 files are always recorded with the original sample rate of 48 khz.

- The plugin needs to identify the audio decoder which is used for playback. Currently the following audio decoders are supported: MPEG Audio, Moonlight Odio, Intervideo, Nvidia, CyberLink, MainConcept, DVD Express (Mediamatics). If the plugin displays an error message "Cannot find Audio Decoder", please report it in the forum, and we'll try to find a solution...

Please have in mind, that this is a beta version, though it proved to be quite stable on my computer. Now I'm interested in how it behaves under different conditions. Feedback is welcome! If you encounter bugs, or if you have an idea how to make it better, please feel free to post it in the DVBViewer Forum.

P.S. I just had to realize that the second link for the WavDest.ax file doesn't work anymore - they ask for a login.

It's included in the Nimo Codec Package, but that's a pretty large download, and I wouldn't recommend to install all these filters....

So just download the plugin from the members area - you'll find a solution in there -_-

Griga

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to let everybody know, that a new version of the audio recorder plugin is already working quite fine. The features:

- works now with Marfi's source filter

- Direct Ogg Vorbis recording added by Christian. Near CD quality with 64 kbps - great!

- Different sample rates now possible (e.g. WAV with 44.1 khz for audio CDs)

- Pause button for interrupting a recording - continued in the same file.

- Timer recordings supported

and further enhancements. There is heavy testing going on... will be released together with the next DVBViewer version, I suppose.

Griga

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...