No Sound On Certain Channels

finepics

Need some help again here please good folks. Recently I noticed that there was no longer any audio with certain channels (mostly ITV digital, channel 5 and a few others). Other channels are all fine. So I just upgraded to the new version of 3.6.1 and the problem is still there. But there is one funny thing - on Channel 5 there is audio but it's different voices describing what is happening - almost like audio for the blind!!! I cannot find any settings to do with this other than the subtitle settings - clearly not that. I'm running Vista business 32bit on an Intel 3.2 HT chip, MSI mobo with on-board Realtek 7.1 sound and 4gb RAM and a V-Gear USB receiver. I have attached the report tool .zip

Any help is appreciated.

support.zip

It seems that in your PC some audio decoder file are corrupted or missing:

---------------------

MPEG Audio Decoders:

---------------------

MPEG Audio Decoder: 03680001 (File is missing)

ArcSoft MPEG Audio Decoder: 00600000 (File is missing)

Nero Audio Decoder 2: 00600000

Nero Digital Audio Decoder: 00400000

InterVideo NonCSS Audio Decoder for Hauppauge: 00400000

So firstly try to reinstall the ArcSoft codec and impose it in "Settings / Options / DirectX / MPEG Audio Decoder" (instead of "<System dafault>)...

:)

It sounds like you've got the secondary audio stream (containing Audio Description) selected.

Can you tell me where this is? I have tried every option available with no difference. I see also that the help files are way out of date (2005) and bear little relation to the current version of DVB.

I tried selecting all the different MPEG audio options - all with the same result (no change from what I already have). Even if I select Arcsoft codecs (which are not there since these would have been uninstalled when I removed the original Arcsoft software that came with the V-Gear stick) everything still works as normal except for the affected channels. I should add that the system had worked properly with the configuration that I currently have but I don't know what has changed to have caused this.

how can I replace the missing codecs that show in the support tool report?

Before you replied (Derrick) I installed the K-lite codec pack. I hope this is not a problem but it does not seem to make any difference. there are several tools in the codec package but I'm not sure how to use them. I have used Sherlock to assess which codecs I have and have attached the report here. I am really in the dark about the technicalities of this software. All I know is it worked fine on all channels until recently but not sure what has changed to render the sound inoperable on certain channels. I will try to re-scan the channels and see if that makes a difference.

Codecs.txt

Edited by finepics

..fiddling with codec packs (not recommended) won't help if you're tuned to the wrong audio track. It's like changing tyres after realizing that you're driving against the traffic :bye:

Well I have accidentally fixed this problem now - I was looking at the channel editor and had re-scanned the channels which meant I had all of them listed twice but with the same problem. I noticed that for each channel there is a Video PID and an Audio PID. Then I noticed that for all the channels that were ok the audio PID was only one digit more than the video PID so BBC 1 video PID is 600 and the audio PID 601 so changing the audio PID of a channel that had no sound to another that did eg BBC 1 sound on Channel 5 video gave me sound on the faulty channel. All the channels that had no sound had their audio PID two digits apart from the video PID so I simply renumbered them and bingo - problem solved. So nothing at all to do with codecs, and the visual impairment assistance was never selected (which I did find eventually). If anyone could tell me why these PID's had changed when they were working perfectly before - I had not changed anything but something obviously did?

Edited by finepics

I have just downloaded and set-up DVBViewer for use with my Twinhan USB2.0 Alpha tuner.

On the initial 'Scan' I noticed a lot of duplicate channels for example BBC2 would have a further entry marked as BBC2 1, the BBC2 1 entry had no audio signal with it just video, I just deleted the additional entries.

Due to the fact that certain UK Freeview channels only transmit during daytime and others only at night, I did a couple of 'Update' scans using frequency setting only so that I now receive all Freeview channels.

Harryo

Edited by Harryo