Geforce 8500/8600 Full Avc/h.264 Support

CiNcH

You have to activate DXVA in the cyberlink decoder settings from within DVBViewer.

Should i see some difference when dxva is on and off? As far as I notice, CPU usage and sporadical jerkiness of the video is same. For example, I still can not watch football on Anixe HD smoothly, but movies are shown fine, as there are usually not so many fast scene transitions and action...

If I use VR7 or VR9, on Anixe HD I get ~23 frames/sec, with the processor usage of 50%. I wonder what can I tweak or change to get this number up? I guess I need 30+ for smooth video playback (or at least 25).

I have non-overclocked C2D E6300 (Q965 motherboard, no support for overclocking), 3 GB of RAM, GF 8600GT, Skystar HD.

I am seriously considering to buy new MB and case where it can fit (as I am using now some small-form-factor case which look nice for media center PC). Hope something changes if CPU runs on 3GHz+

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CiNcH

• verhohner

• Future777

• vladojko

Top Posters In This Topic

With DXVA enabled, the CPU usage should lower a lot (max. of ~20% CPU usage with Blu-Ray Discs or H264 HD-DVD´s). HDTV (with only 20MB/s) should drop even more. If this isn´t the case, something isn´t working properly. I heard from users, that they had to de-install/re-install the nvidia drivers on vista 2 times to make everything work properly. And also - when you change DXVA settings, make sure to reboot first.

Regarding AnixeHD: Not sure which frequency they´re sending their signal (50Hz/60Hz)? This could be a reason for playback issues. If it´s 50Hz, make sure to set your resolution refresh settings to 50Hz.

cheers

Future

Edited by Future777

Frequency is 50Hz, like the rest of the channels in Europe.

I get perfectly smooth vision on AnixeHD using the Mainconcept H.264, noi Hardware supported, with my E6400 overclocked to 2.6GHz.

Anyway live vision via Sat is more taxing than watching a BR or HD-DVD disc (especially if the AACS is stripped off by AnyDVD HD). Bitrate is not all: complexity of encoding must be taken into account, and H.264 offers possibilities to achieve same visual quality with lower bitrate at the expense of higher power needed for encoding and decoding.

Frequency is 50Hz, like the rest of the channels in Europe.

I get perfectly smooth vision on AnixeHD using the Mainconcept H.264, noi Hardware supported, with my E6400 overclocked to 2.6GHz.

Anyway live vision via Sat is more taxing than watching a BR or HD-DVD disc (especially if the AACS is stripped off by AnyDVD HD). Bitrate is not all: complexity of encoding must be taken into account, and H.264 offers possibilities to achieve same visual quality with lower bitrate at the expense of higher power needed for encoding and decoding.

I tried to change frequenzy to 50 Hz, but it is same for my eyes , I can not notice any difference. At the moment there is football on AnixeHD so I am using chance to test little bit. If I watch live stream in DVBViewer, I always get 50% of cpu usage, and image is little bit jerky. Little bit, but enough to be very annoying and to make you some headacke. You can notice it for example when you follow movement of the ball.

Then, I tried to record couple minutes of video, and play it back with DVBViewer, WMP, WMP Classic and PowerDVD. With first 3 programs result is more or less same - same cpu usage as live stream has, and same jerkiness of the video. When I play it back with PowerDVD, if I disable hardware acceleration, the result is same. Then, I enabled the hardware acceleration in the options menu, and, voila! Great smooth video, with no jerkiness at all, with cpu usage of 5-6%!

So, my conclusion is that PureVideo HD acceleration is available only in PowerDVD! Now, the question is if I am doing something wrong, or it is still not possible to use the hardware acceleration within DVBViewer...

Are you sure that you have only one CyberLink PDVD7 Codec installed? I once had three of them, think from PowerDVD, PowerDVD Ultra and from PowerCinema...

Probably there is some registry tweak that enables PureVideo (2) (there are lots of features that can only be enabled through registry). I only know that the DXVA setting on the filter's control panel can enable PureVideo 1 and ATi's first generation acceleration...

We have to check the PowerDVD keys within the registry to see if there is an appropriate key that we can then try to add to the application individual CyberLink filter keys.

Take a look at the filters in DVBViewer and make sure, that it uses the cyberlink one...

I wish the solution is so simple. I am curious, is there anyone who can confirm that full HD acceleration works with DVBViewer?

I wish the solution is so simple. I am curious, is there anyone who can confirm that full HD acceleration works with DVBViewer?

Yes, I can confirm that DxVA is functioning in the DVBViewer V 3.6.1.2 (using Nvidia 7900GT & CyberLink PDVD7 Codec) when watching H264/mpeg2 channels.

The CPU utilization is reduced approximately to half.

Yes, I can confirm that DxVA is functioning in the DVBViewer V 3.6.1.2 (using Nvidia 7900GT & CyberLink PDVD7 Codec) when watching H264/mpeg2 channels.

The CPU utilization is reduced approximately to half.

I mean, with GF 8500/8600 cards? With those, CPU utolization should be decreased much more.

I read an article over at Toms Hardware, can't remember the details, but in their tests the 8600 performed no better than the 7000 series in some setups, whilst in others it reduced cpu usage to a few percent.

I read an article over at Toms Hardware, can't remember the details, but in their tests the 8600 performed no better than the 7000 series in some setups, whilst in others it reduced cpu usage to a few percent.

Probably those tests were related to VC1. The bitstream processor within the GF 8500/8600 series only supports CAVLC/CABAC. VC1 entropy coding cannot be reversed with it. I do not know whether PV2 supports an additional stage within the VC1 decoding pipeline compared to PV1 which can be found on GF 7 series GPU's.

I finally got my hands onto an 8500GT + Vista, too. The H264 acceleration within PowerDVD 7.3 on my P4 3.2 Ghz System is amazing. Only 12% CPU usage with 20MBIT H264 .ts files. (95% with my "old" 7950GT on the same P4 system)

Unfortunately i have to confirm that hardware acceleration does not work within DVBViewer, even though DXVA is selected within the filter settings (cyberlink acv filter). I also didn´t manage to make it work within zoomplayer. So i think it´s an overall problem with vista.

Anyway - ultra-smooth H264 with 12% of a P4 3.2 Ghz!! wohoo! :bye: (makes PowerDVD my new standard player)

cheers

Future

Edited by Future777
I finally got my hands onto an 8500GT + Vista, too. The H264 acceleration within PowerDVD 7.3 on my P4 3.2 Ghz System is amazing. Only 12% CPU usage with 20MBIT H264 .ts files. (95% with my "old" 7950GT on the same P4 system)

Unfortunately i have to confirm that hardware acceleration does not work within DVBViewer, even though DXVA is selected within the filter settings (cyberlink acv filter). I also didn´t manage to make it work within zoomplayer. So i think it´s an overall problem with vista.

Anyway - ultra-smooth H264 with 12% of a P4 3.2 Ghz!! wohoo! :bye: (makes PowerDVD my new standard player)

cheers

Future

ok good to know, thanks. Then it is best to record HD channels when i want to watch something, and play it back in powerdvd ;-)

Try using DVBViewer GE and the Enhanced Video Renderer. I have read that under Vista EVR with its DXVA2-API is the only way to take advantage of H.264 acceleration with the CyberLink decoder.

Edited by CiNcH

Grandioser Tipp! Das war es! Hardware acceleration geht in DVBViewer GE (mit EVR). Grossartig! Jetzt kann ich HD schauen und mein Computer merkt davon garnix. Diese neue Nvidia Grafikkarten rocken!

And in english: DVBViewer GE (EVR) works! Hardware acceleration is perfect! :bye:

cheers

Future

Edited by Future777

Unfortunately there´s a downer: I can´t get the CI (Cam) to work with DVBViewer GE...

I hope EVR is soon available in DVBViewer Pro.

cheers

Future

Yes, GE does not support CI.

But I think this is a nice piece of information to work with. Too bad that people always have to find out such things for themselves...

Probably there will also be filters that use the proprietary API's even under Vista, just like it is the case under XP, where no DXVA2 is available (at least not officially).

It also teaches us, that DXVA2 is not completely renderer independant.

I hope EVR is soon available in DVBViewer Pro.

They are currently working on their own renderer. But I do not know whether people will be too happy when neither DXVA nor DXVA2 is possible with it. But let's wait what they will come up with...

Edited by CiNcH
Yes, GE does not support CI.

But I think this is a nice piece of information to work with. Too bad that people always have to find out such things for themselves...

Probably there will also be filters that use the proprietary API's even under Vista, just like it is the case under XP, where no DXVA2 is available (at least not officially).

It also teaches us, that DXVA2 is not completely renderer independant.

They are currently working on their own renderer. But I do not know whether people will be too happy when neither DXVA nor DXVA2 is possible with it. But let's wait what they will come up with...

I tried DVBVierer GE, and yes, it works.

So, if it is renderer problem, I guess it would be enough to have a graph file with EVR in it, and any other application that supports graphs should be able to use DxVA 2?

So, if it is renderer problem, I guess it would be enough to have a graph file with EVR in it, and any other application that supports graphs should be able to use DxVA 2?

It is not as easy as exchanging a decoder filter, unfortunately. The application should support the renderer.

Edited by CiNcH

:) Welche dieser Grafik-Karten ist denn Eurer Meinung nach zu empfehlen.Die 8500,8600GT oder die 8600 GTS.

Tuts die billigste auch oder muß man zur teuren 8600 GTS greifen.

Gibs da schon Erfahrungen oder Testberichte mit diesen Karten. :bye:

Hi,

laut diverser Berichte soll schon die 8500GT reichen. Ich habe aber den Kompromiss gewählt und eine 8600GT geholt denn die 8500 wäre in anderen Gebieten langsamer als meine alte Karte gewesen und das wollte ich nicht.

cu B.

wenn du es nur für nen HTPC willst, dann reicht wohl die 8500GT... wenn du auch noch zocken willst damit, dann sollte es das beste vom besten sein, wie immer... *g*

:bye: Erstmal Danke für Eure Antworten ;)

Gibt es denn nun schon einen Treiber für Windows XP, um da auch in den Genuss von PureVideo HD zu kommen oder ist da immer noch warten angesagt. Auf der Internet-Seite von Nvidia ist ja in den vergangenen Tagen ein neuer Treiber erschienen.

Unter XP ist noch nichts mit PV2.

Wenn du genau wissen willst, wie die 8500 gegen 8600GT/GTS performt, schau dir mal den Link im ersten Post dieses Threads an. Sehr ausführlicher Test, was H.264 angeht, mit allen 3 Modellen...

Edited by CiNcH

Ich würde die 8500GT nehmen. Hat den geringsten Stromverbrauch und gibts von einigen Herstellern ohne Lüfter (silent)

Habe so eine Karte von Asus und die funzt super! Wenn du HDCP brauchst, empfehle ich eine Gigabyte Karte. Kommt in Deutschland in 2 Wochen raus. Ansonsten gibts ja noch ...... (beseitigt HDCP am PC)

cheers

Future

Edited by Griga

Hat sich noch nicht herumgesprochen, dass das deutsche Urheberrecht die Umgehung von Kopierschutzmaßnahmen verbietet?

Wie auch immer - ich hoffe, es stößt auf Verständnis, dass Forenbetreiber Abmahnungen möglichst vermeiden möchten. Selbst wenn sie sich letztendlich als nicht durchsetzbar herausstellen sollten, kostet solche Vorgänge Nerven und sind sehr zeitraubend.

Ich bitte, das in Zukunft zu berücksichtigen. Danke im Voraus.

Na guuut..ich habs ja schon befürchtet..

Ich halte mich künftig daran, grenzwertige Aussagen zu unterlassen.:bye:

cheers

Future

Edited by Future777
Aber von der Software gibts ja sogar Pressemeldungen im Internet.

Dann würde ich eventuell einen Link setzen, mit einem harmlosen "Interessantes zu dem Thema hier:", sofern es sich um rechtlich unbedenkliche (deutsche) Quellen handelt. Links, die direkt oder indirekt zu einem Download von kopierschutzknackender Software führen, sind natürlich absolut zu vermeiden.

Ich gehe im Forum nach dem Prinzip "Die Geier mit ihren Suchmaschinen möglichst nicht anlocken" vor und vermeide deshalb sogar die Nennung eines bekannten DVD-Schrumpfers, von dem es inzwischen eine legale deutsche Version gibt. Statt dessen schreibe ich: Unten auf dieser Seite.

Im Grunde traurig, dass es soweit gekommen ist. Aber man passt sich halt an und hat seine Workarounds...

Ich würde die 8500GT nehmen. Hat den geringsten Stromverbrauch und gibts von einigen Herstellern ohne Lüfter (silent)

Hallo,

dem ist glaub ich nicht ganz so. Die 8500GT schlägt mit max 65Watt zu. Die 8600GT mit 47Watt und die 8600GTS mit max. 75Watt.

Die Angaben beziehen sich auf die unübertakteten Normalversionen. Das Fertigungsverfahren wurde von 90 nm (Geforce 8800,8500) auf 80 nm (Geforce 8600) gesenkt.

Quelle:

Tomshardware und nvidia.com

Ich denke ich werde für unseren HTPC die 8600GT kaufen, sobald XP Treiber für PV2 released sind. Das diese sogar den geringsten Stromverbrauch hat ist natürlich auch nett. Ansonsten kann ich die 3d Leistung ganz gut gebrauchen um mal ein Ründchen Pro Evolution Soccer mit meinen Kumpels auf dem 40" LCD zu spielen^^

Ansonsten kann ich die 3d Leistung ganz gut gebrauchen um mal ein Ründchen Pro Evolution Soccer mit meinen Kumpels auf dem 40" LCD zu spielen^^

Mal abwarten, was da noch so alles im Videobereich auf uns zukommt. Die Shader-Units kann man nicht nur für Spiele gebrauchen, sondern auch hervorragen für Video-PostProcessing auf Pixel-Niveau einsetzen. Das wird noch spannend, wo da so die Grenzen aktueller GPU's liegen.

@verhohner,

ich habe bei EBay eine passiv gekühlte 8600GT gefunden und genommen. Scheint ganz passabel zu sein und für einen HTPC ist passiv immer ganz nett.

cu B.

Natürlich kommt bei mir auch nur eine passiv-gekühlte Graka in meinen HTPC. Ich geb ja nicht zig € aus um das Teil flüsterleise zu bauen und dann steck ich ne neue Graka mit Aktivkühler rein^^

Wie viel hast du denn gezahlt für deine 8600GT?

Ich werde wie gesagt erst zuschlagen, wenn ein Treiber für XP draußen ist, sodass ich PV2 nutzten kann. Aber eigentlich macht es auch erst dann Sinn, wenn ich noch ein HD-DVD Laufwerk oder eine DVB-S2 Karte habe. Und bisher gibt es ja leider nur das Laufwerk von der X-Box, welches farblich leider absolut nicht passt^^

Edited by verhohner

Hi verhohner,

passive 8600GTs liegen bei €150 tendenz wird aber wohl fallen. Ich habe die Gainward und dann gibt es noch eine MSI.

Der Chip wird beim Desktop 55 Grad und bei 3D-Demos bis jetzt ca. 65 Grad warm.

cu B.

B) Ich habe Heute meine Geforce 8600GT bekommen. Die ist von Leadtek und kostete gerade mal 116,-Euro bei Mix-Computer. Die ist zwar aktiv gekühlt ,aber geregelt. So das man den Lüfter überhaupt nicht hört. Habe sie jetzt eingebaut und mein System neu Installiert. Morgen werde ich dann mit dem DVBViewer Pro, HDTV testen und berichten, wie sich die Karte schlägt.

:D Also ich bin entteucht von dieser Karte. Habe mein PC extra neu mit Windows Vista Ultimate installiert und nur das installiert, was man braucht um mit dem DVBViewer Pro 3.6.2.2 zu testen. Beim DVBViewer Pro merkt man garnichts von der Hardwarebeschleunigung. Da ist die CPU genauso stark ausgelastet wie bei meiner Randeon X1600XT. Nur das bei der Geforce Karte der DVBViewer dauernt abschmiert und im Overlay-Modus ist das Bild nur am rumzucken. Im VMR 7 oder 9 Modus ist die Bildqualität sau schlecht. Egal welchen Decoder ich einstelle.Habe es erst mit Power DVD 7.3 Ultra Deluxe versucht, dann mit WinDVD 8 Platinium und zum schluß noch mit Sonic 4.5 der beim WinOnCD 9 Brennerprogramm dabei ist. Dauernt Abstürze und Ruckler. Dann hatts mir gereicht.Nvidia Treiber Deinstalliert. PC ausgeschaltet und meine ATI Randeon wieder eingebaut. DVBViewer gestartet und alles lief wieder normal.

Habe die Nvidia Karte Heute wieder zum Händler zurück geschickt und warte lieber noch ein wenig. Irgendwan wird ATI auch weiter entwickeln und da kommt bestimmt mehr bei raus. ;)

Edited by karlchen1
Beim DVBViewer Pro merkt man garnichts von der Hardwarebeschleunigung

Da hast du wohl den Thread nicht durchgelesen. Wir haben herausgefunden, dass die DXVA2 Hardwarebeschleunigung mit DVBViewer Pro nicht funktionieren kann, weil der EVR Modus fehlt. In VMR7 oder 9 kann die 8600GT nicht zum Einsatz kommen. Mit dem DVBViewer GE funktioniert es, weil dieser EVR unterstützt.

cheers

Future

;) Mal abgesehen davon, ist die Bildqualität und sind die dauernden Abstürze nervent. Warscheinlich sind die Treiber von Nvidia für Windows Vista nicht ausgereift. Auch das der Overlay Modus nicht funktioniert nervt. Aber wenn ich an frühere Zeiten denke, war Overlay mit Nvidia Grafikkarten schon immer ein Problem. Das war damals auch der Grund weshalb ich auf ATI Grafikkarten umgestiegen bin.

Also bei mir funktioniert der Overlay Modus schon seit Jahren vollkommen anstandslos... und ich nutze eigentlich nur Nvidia Karten.

Ich habe eben die neue ForceWare Beta 160.03 unter XP probiert. VMR Treiber-Bugs bleiben bestehen, keine Unterstützung für die PureVideo 2 Engine...