Favoured MPG2-decoder

Guest Oliver

What's your favoured MPG2-decoder?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favoured MPG2-decoder?

• NVIDIA
    • Elecard
    • Cyberlink (PowerDVD)
    • Intervideo (WinDVD)
    • Mediamatics (DVDExpress)
    • Sonic
    • other (Ulead, Pinnacle...)
    • Radlight (planned)
    • unknown

Guest Oliver

Since there are often uncertainties which MPG2-decoder should be used or not and which one is likely to cause errors, I think it could be helpful to broaden the base of experience. Apart from that I'm curious. :angry:

So please vote for your preferred MPG2-decoder:

Bye, Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the people dont know how important this theme is.

Guest Oliver

Maybe. Before I got my SS2 I, too, had not much knowledge about DirectShow filters and different MPEG2-decoders. For analogue recordings I was using HuffYUV.

Well then, listen up: It's important for future improvements of the DVBViewer.

I'm quite surprised nobody is using the Elecard decoder, since it was so often advised in the forum. Okay, today I no longer suggest its use. I think the best decoders are nVidia, Intervideo and Cyberlink.

Bye, Oliver

I'm quite surprised nobody is using the Elecard decoder
The reason is simple. All other decoders comes with DVD-Software automaticaly. Most people only use the elecard demultiplexer and they wont pay for him.
I think the best decoders are nVidia, Intervideo and Cyberlink.
I completly confirm with you. (also with the sequence)

I don't recommend the Cyberlink decoder as it has the worst image quality. With the nVidia decoder I've got some problems with the picture size. Mediamatics is too slow. Elecard is a combination of nVidia and Mediamatics, but it's useful to install it for preview. I definitely recommend the Intervideo decoder even if there are still some little issues with the OSD-overlay.

I definitely recommend the Intervideo decoder even if there are still some little issues with the OSD-overlay.
Which issues do you have? With the newest releases of the Viewer, i have no problems with this codec. Also transparent overlay works well.

Yes, it works. But it need about one second to "apply" the transparency (using Overlay Mixer). Sometimes it stays gray.

Guest Oliver

The Cyberlink decoder has also - like nVidia - hardware acceleration and a quite good de-interlacer. The de-interlacing function of the Elecard decoder is one of the worst ever.

Bye, Oliver

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also ich preferiere den Cyberlink5-Decoder.

Mehr dazu hier: Forum-Link

Gibts auch für ca 5Eur bei eBay.

Ich finde es immer wieder komisch, alle Cyberlink-Decoder in einen Topf zu werfen. Dabei gibt es sehr gravierende Untwerschiede. Ich gehe mal davon aus, dass Du jeweils die neueste Version eines Decoders meinst.

Cyberlink 3.0: keine Ahnung

Cyberlink 4.0: crashed beim zappen, nicht HDTV-fähig

Cyberlink 5.0: voll zappingfähig, voll HDTV-fähig

Es fehlt übrigens unter anderem der Ligos-MPEG-Decoder. Der wird wohl unter anderem in Codec-Packs mitgeliefert. Ist aber wohl nichts besonderes.

Der DVD-Express-Decoder ist auch ganz ok und meiner Ansicht nach superschnell beim Zappen.

Der NVidia wollte bei mir immer nich so richtig. Hab ne Geforce4Ti.

Beim Elecard hatte ich immer massive Formatprobleme und benutze ihn deswegen nicht mehr.

Der Elecard-Splitter und der Elecard-Odiodecoder sind hingegen IMHO erste Sahne...

Siehe zur Beschaffung auch hier (man sollte sich allerdings beeilen):

Forum-Link

huch, was'n alter thread :blink: ..eigentlich hat die umfrage auch wenig sinn, denn ich brauche mehrere decoder. Ohne elecard kein 4.2:2 und ohne sonic oder intervideo kein hdtv :(

• 1 month later...

HI all!

I think many people do not vote, because they do not know all these technical stuff you are talking and writing about.

Talking for me: I´m using the DBV just to watch digital TV and sometimes to record little videos.

It is too difficult for me, what shall i demux or render or bla...

The programms should do all that stuff for me or even should help me to do so!

Even to choose a programm to cut some recordings seems to be very difficult??

If I had known of the problems to record, cut and ... with the datas we get by satellite, maybe I had bought another tv card and another program to use!

Am I lonely with this opinion?

:)

Maybe you are right, but if you by a car you want to know which engine and which gear is inside.

Marfi or DVBViewerSource are the engine and the decoders are the gear of Your DVBViewer. Without a good gear you cant use the quality of the engine.

This is what we all had to learn and that's the reason of Derricks question.

The Decoder is accountably for your picture quality. The Source Filter is accountably for recive the informations in a for decoders usable format...

You are right, it's difficult but if you wnat to have the best results you have to learn ....

Steffen

Guest Oliver
with the datas we get by satellite, maybe I had bought another tv card and another program to use!

It's the same procedure with other cards. :)

Bye, Oliver

It's the same procedure with other cards.

I agree with Oliver, and I know, what I am talking about... I also have a pinnacle TVsat card............ ........ ......... :)

But as some wise man said: You can't learn experience , you'll have to gain it for yourself! :bye:

HI All!

To learn isn´t wrong, but if you have NO idea to start solving problems, one may frustrate very fast.

When I drive my car, I first take the first, then the second ...gear.

That is not so difficult, but when we compare the questions and answers in this board, it seems to me that I should know how many teeth the first gear and so on ... use.

Thanks for your answer for the other cards and software. I have not compared other ones and it seems to me that my choice was´nt so bad!

Bye, Rally

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RealMagic Hollywood Plus & Sash Direct Show Driver (Windows XP)

Great image quality!!!

Due to it being a tweaked driver it doesn't always work 100%.

There are a few issues with turning the sound up or down, totally mutes sometimes.

Intervideo:

Easy to set up and runs reliably. Picture quality could be better.

As is always the case direct show filters need registering/unregistering...