Feature ideas

aydan

Hi,

here are some features I would find useful:

1. longer scrollbar for Timeshift and Replay

2. Recording without actually running the Viewer (maybe as a service for 2K/XP?)

3. Recording in logged off state

4. Timeshifting with already started recordings

bye

Aydan

Guest hackbart

hmm,

there is a more handy scrollbar inside the osd..

1. I already thought about a better solution, but i did not found any - so if you have any cool idea feel free to tell ;)

2. this is indeed already implemented, if you use the windows scheduler in combination with the console recorder.

3. hmm see 2.

4. not sure, what you exactly mean with this, but i suppose you mean you record files and are able to play them back - well windows does not allow to open files which are already opened for recording...

Christian

Guest Michael
1. longer scrollbar for Timeshift and Replay

hmmm.... it's enough for me....

2. Recording without actually running the Viewer (maybe as a service for 2K/XP?)

yeah.... would be fun.... but.. you can minimize to tray... and there you go...

3. Recording in logged off state

!?!?!?

4. Timeshifting with already started recordings

YEAH ! that would be a MUST !

me would prefer making the PVR into a schedule... where you can start a times timeshift record....

2. this is indeed already implemented, if you use the windows scheduler in combination with the console recorder.

Could't you implement a UI for configuring this with the viewer?

and for #3:

If I'm not mistaken, the DVBViewer needs the Server4PC to run, right?

But it won't run until there's somebody logged in. So you won't be able to record with no user logged in.

Here's an idea for the scrollbar:

it would be nice to have a seperate form to control the video. Like a remote control. If you like it you use it. If not you don't.

bye

Aydan

Hello aydan, welcom aboard...

If I'm not mistaken, the DVBViewer needs the Server4PC to run, right?

You are mistaken...

But regarding the problem about "logged off" or not, I think you refere to a Windows NT/2000/XP OS...;

I can confirm that with the AT command you can do anythink without "logging in": I use it many time to realize a automatic daily unattended server backup...

Maybe is a little bit hard to understand how, but the solution is simple: you have to write a .cmd (or .BAT) file that run your function/prog, and use it in the AT command, not your function/prog directly...

Cheers

Gioxy

P.S.: Remote control? Nice idea, it is possible to realize it in the OSD??? ;)

Hi,

I found a problem with the Trackbar in the timeshift window. It's not being updated So after a while the slider will stick to the end of the bar although there's still time remaining. also it would be nice, if those two time-fields above could be updated from time to time.

Thanks for the really fast implementation though.

Bye

Aydan

Guest Oliver

Could it be you don't have the Elecard demultiplexer installed? Such a problem is caused by the Microsoft demuxer.

This piece of information might explain it (from the PVAStrumento manual):

A special case is the first video header: When dealing with a file that contains only a video ES (that is typically a file with a suffix of .mpv), most software (and typically the software of your operating system vendor, if it is MicroSoft) will calculate the length of the stream (in seconds) by looking at the size of the file and the bitrate of the first video sequence. Most of the time this is simply annoying, as your player will display a wrong length information.

Bye, Oliver

But timeshifting doesn't use a real mpeg-file, right?

So the position and length of the stream gets calculated in a different way.

I think Christian just forgot to do the updating thing.

Bye

Aydan

PS.:

I just thought about the Timeshifting of an already started recording.

I think it's possible to open a file twice, if it's been opened in shared mode.

So if the recording function would do so, you could watch it while it's being recorded.

Guest Oliver

So the position and length of the stream gets calculated in a different way.

Of course it's a real MPEG 2-file. Since the DVBViewer just saves the stream from the satellite, what else should it be? There is no conversion.

Which demultiplexer do you use?

Bye, Oliver

PS: Microsoft says it's not possible to open a file twice. Link

Marfi wrote that the timeshift.dat is an mpg file with some additional informations.

Read this thread.

cheers

Steffen

But the file is handled completely by marfi's renderer, isn't it.

My question was if there's a way to get info about current length and position of the video stream to show it in the playback control form (slider and all).

Bye

Aydan

Guest Oliver
But the file is handled completely by marfi's renderer, isn't it.

My question was if there's a way to get info about current length and position of the video stream to show it in the playback control form (slider and all).

Would you please explain this a bit more detailed, as I don't know what your desire actually is.

Bye, Oliver

Its no problem! You can make a copy of this file during timeshift is running. Than rename it as *.mpg and you can handle it as a normal mpg-file.

PS: Microsoft says it's not possible to open a file twice. Link

For me it says just the opposite:

The following example demonstrates opening a file for reading and writing, but disallowing access to other users or processes.

Which means, that there are possibilities to allow access to other users/processes (by using the Shared attribute), that's how I understand it - or did I miss something?

Griga

My desire was to have the times (Current time and total time) and the sliderbar in the playback-control form updated while timeshift runs. It's a little annoying id the slider is stuck to the end although you are minutes behind.

The other thing was about being able to timeshift a running recording. I started discussing this here.

Bye

Aydan

Guest Oliver
My desire was to have the times (Current time and total time) and the sliderbar in the playback-control form updated while timeshift runs. It's a little annoying id the slider is stuck to the end although you are minutes behind.

I don't think that's possible. Here is an excerpt of the PVAStrumento manual:

A special case is the first video header: When dealing with a file that contains only a video ES (that is typically a file with a suffix of .mpv), most software (and typically the software of your operating system vendor, if it is MicroSoft) will calculate the length of the stream (in seconds) by looking at the size of the file and the bitrate of the first video sequence. Most of the time this is simply annoying, as your player will display a wrong length information. But sometimes when using DirectShow filters for transcoding this can be a real pain. By checking the option, you can have PVAStrumento change the header of the first video sequence to the average bitrate. This will not be "correct" of course, but at least now the timing information of the more simple minded programs will be (more or less) correct.

Bye, Oliver