Series Record

Bathman

I use DVBViewer with the remote only.

At the start of each week I have to run run through all the EPG to record my favorite programs. This is a pain in the arse and I frequently miss recording a program as I did not spot it. Every other piece of HTPC software has this MCE, Sage, GBPVR, Meedio, Media portal. What do other people doo. Is there a "record series" option that I have not been able to find. This "missing" feature is really annoying.

Edited by Bathman

use epgplus.

BTW if we would do as everybody else do, why would you care to use DVBViewer. we simply do better in the really important parts ;)

I will have another look at epg plus I was not able to figure out how to series record.

BTW if we would do as everybody else do, why would you care to use DVBViewer. we simply do better in the really important parts ;)

Yes I suppose that is a fair comment. From my perspetive no other program runs on such low resorches, changes channel so quick and interfaces so well with CAM. But i would think making the program more remote friendly making it more user friendly would only increase the software popularity. Please dont take this as a critisim I have every faith in your product and love it.

But i would think making the program more remote friendly making it more user friendly would only increase the software popularity. Please dont take this as a critisim I have every faith in your product and love it.

I take it as critisim and I agree with you. :blush: There are several things which can be enhanced in the viewer, in time they will ;)

For now, not exactly what you want, but there is a simple "search more" function in the OSD-EPG. Simply select one entry and press OSD-Blue in the menu select "search more".

I must confess, I have no clue what the record series should do. It does only look for shows with the same name, doesn't it?

And before you ask. I tried most of the products you mentioned, but I never came this far, sometimes the program crashed on installing, sometime on scanning. sometimes the picture got a bad case of hickup or tearing and sometimes the app was plain horrible and ugly :(

Hm... if your series are running in the same timeframe every week, you can enable the days of week when it runs in the OSD Dialog to set the timer and DVBViewer will record it every week on the selected days at the given time... that works quite good for the most series and channels, I know... you just have to make the timeframe big enough and you'll get your series every week ;)

Hello

I got my DVBViewer working today and this feature was the first thing I tried to find, I used it in media portal (it was the only good thing in that program). It automatically searched epg for certain name at certain channel and allways when a new show time appeared in the epg it automatically added it to timer. This would be a good feature because some series I'd like to record are usually aired at different time and weekly record won't help these cases.

I have missed too many shows because I forgot reprogram via epgplus find more occurencys option (I use dvb-t guides and it only shows 7 days ahead here in Finland). In MCE you have few options to record series: Record series in same time and same channel, record all occurencys (no need to be on same time or same channel). It uses show name / id to record all shows you wan't and you just need to hit record button twice on the EPG (easy eh...). DVBViewer has way better quality dvb-engine (subs works etc) than MCE, but there is lot to do with UI when you use it with the remote.

Is there possibility to add functin to EPGPlus which automatically add shows to your timer list when new show appears on the list and the search criteria is met? That way it is possible to record series and or by genre automatically (without any user actions) (e.g. you want record all food related programs, just add word food to search criteria and the epgplus would record everything related to word food ... This would be very nice feature..)

Edited by tomduud
Have you relay drayed EPGplus i think no.

Who? Me?

I use EPGPlus, but it is not containing "automatic" series recording option (or i'm just stupid and blind enough not find the function). I have seen many posts recarding the issue on this forum, but best answer so far is use the EPGPlus which helps a little, but it is not a perfect solutions because it has very limited OSD functionality. Many of us do not want to use mouse & keyboard on their livingroom where the home theather are usually set up. If you use EPGPlus OSD "search more" operation you get the list of the shows, but can not tell which ones you have marked for record. But this "search more" function do not help you if the show is aired once a week and you get only 7 days EPG data, so you have to manually add show every week and if you forgot you miss the show :) ) I hope this automatic series recording issue can implemented somehow (maybe direct manipulation of timer database is possible from third party application?).

(maybe direct manipulation of timer database is possible from third party application?).

It is. epgplus makes a lot of use of it.

I don't understand what you really want. As far as I know in epgplus you define the search parameters and each time epgplus finds a match, it transfers it to the DVBViewer timers. In my understanding this can be defined as series record.

It is. epgplus makes a lot of use of it.

I don't understand what you really want. As far as I know in epgplus you define the search parameters and each time epgplus finds a match, it transfers it to the DVBViewer timers. In my understanding this can be defined as series record.

Weird, I have not got it work that way. I Have to look it tonight again and look if there is Update for the software available.. I have few stored searhes there, but no new recordings actually happens automatically. I have to manual re-run search and manually mark found files to be recorded (maybe I'm doing something wrong here).. Anyway, thanks for your help.

br, Tomduud

If you create a search you can define if it's only send to the notify list or if it is send as a timer.

Anyway I'll ask rayman, if he see a possibility so exchange data with the viewer from the OSD. Means creating a search (instead of the search for more stuff) or something in this way nothing fancy :)

If you create a search you can define if it's only send to the notify list or if it is send as a timer.

Anyway I'll ask rayman, if he see a possibility so exchange data with the viewer from the OSD. Means creating a search (instead of the search for more stuff) or something in this way nothing fancy :)

Thanks for the information.

br, Tomduud

Generally the way that series linking works with other PVRs is that you highlight one episode in the EPG & click 'Record Series'. It doesn't involve doing a search of the whole EPG for a programme name & then setting up to record all matches found. Normally series linking is made smarter & easier by there being some sort of invisible metadata in the EPG that actually lets the PVR know that particular programmes are part of a series.

Normally series linking is made smarter & easier by there being some sort of invisible metadata in the EPG that actually lets the PVR know that particular programmes are part of a series.

well the epg I know of (EIT-EPG) does not contain such meta data. So you're stuck with simple searching...

EPGPlus works fine for me for that purpose: I have search criteria added with a pattern of the name (something like "desesperadas" for matching "Mujeres desesperadas episode XX") and a channel restritcion.

The great difficult for me was realizing that the accion associated with the search should be "add a PVR entry" or something like that in orther the record actually happens. Once got the idea, it's the most powerful and flexible programmer I've ever seen.

• 4 months later...