Crop mode

F J Walter

Some 4:3 programs are transmitted in the 16:9 signal, which causes black bars on the left and right of the screen.

Example of 4:3 program transmitted in 16:9 stream:

crop1go1.jpg

The area of the actual picture is shown with a green line.

I want to 'crop' the left and right portions off so that I am discarding everything but the 4:3 area of the picture. I'd like to be able to switch into 4:3 crop mode using keyboard shortcuts, so I don't need to go into the men

crop2sx7.jpg

Then, when I view it full screen, the resulting picture can fill the whole screen.

For an example of how this is done, use the crop function in VLC media player. Press 'C' while playing a widescreen video. Unfortunately DVBViewer doesn't have an equivalent feature.

It is possible to achieve similar results with the zoom feature which has a "pan and scan" slider bar. However this slider bar does not work properly:

- When zooming, the aspect ratio changes as you zoom. The picture zooms by different amounts vertically and horizontally, so if you zoom in enough to cut off the left and right black bars, the remaining picture is slightly too thin and tall. This is a bug with the zoom feature which I'll report in the bug section if there already isn't one.

- There is no easy way to just switch from full mode to 4:3 pan and scan mode with a keyboard shortcut.

Edited by F J Walter
Using the existing 'Zoom' feature is not a good solution for 2 reasons:

- When zooming, the aspect ratio changes as you zoom. It isn't locked. You would need to separately stretch the picture horizontally and vertically to different amounts in order to preserve the aspect ratio. This is a bug with the zoom feature which I'll report in the bug section if there already isn't one.

I can't agree that. Here Aspect ratio is constant while zooming.

- The zoom feature allows a continuous zoom so it takes a while to get the amount right, whereas other programs offer a one-step change from 4:3 to 16:9 mode.
It's possible to save up to 4 zoompresets and invoke a preset by a keyboardshortcut.

mfg tc

I can't agree that. Here Aspect ratio is constant while zooming.

Mine doesn't stay constant. For instance, when I zoom out far enough the stretching is very noticeable.

When zooming the aspect ratio should remain constant like this:

zoomout2yt6.jpg

However, here is what mine does:

zoomoutsa9.jpg

It does the same when zooming in but opposite - stretched too much vertically.

For my system stats, check the topic I created in the bug reports forum. Which setting do you have for rendering under directx? I have mine set to "overlay".

Edited by F J Walter

Hmm, if it is the problem i recognized after your first bug post it should be gone in the next beta update.

Christian

PS: It should at least not appear in VMR mode.

Hi,

I checked the other display modes. Currently the problem is currently occurring in all display modes:

- Unchanged

- Overlay

- VMR7

- VMR9

I would be happy to check if it is happening in the new beta when it is available. If you need any more info let me know.

Thanks

It is possible to achieve similar results with the zoom feature which has a "pan and scan" slider bar. However this slider bar does not work properly:

- When zooming, the aspect ratio changes as you zoom. The picture zooms by different amounts vertically and horizontally, so if you zoom in enough to cut off the left and right black bars, the remaining picture is slightly too thin and tall. This is a bug with the zoom feature which I'll report in the bug section if there already isn't one.

- There is no easy way to just switch from full mode to 4:3 pan and scan mode with a keyboard shortcut.

I've defined two modes like you want: 16:9 zoom and 14:9 zoom using only the Stretch bars in the "Size, Position and Zoom" Window. In this way I can control aspect ratio. My screen have 1.33 by 1 pixels and it displays normally "fat" images. After that, I use the defined shortcut to switch between modes.

Yeah exactly this is my Problem too!

If i start my reciver (not PC) then it fills the whole screen. But if i run DVBViewer there are always black borders around the picture...

Is it possible to add the feature that like the reciver DVBViewer uses the full screen? this would be nice!

it is right there...

set the aspect ratio to "none", if there are still black borders, then they are send by the tv-station, you have to use the stretch feature to stretch the image, that the borders are gone... it is not possible to do that automatically, right now, but you can define up to 4 presets and toggle them with your remote control.

If you still have issues, then it is very likely that you are experiencing nividas VRM9 bug... then dont use VRM9 or try to switch on nvidia vrm fix in the options.