New SS2 (2.6b)

stailus

Some one test new SS2 card (rev 2.4 I think) with DVBViewer? Work or not? What driver model have this new card.?

[it's 2.6b]

Edited by Oliver
Guest Oliver

Sorry, I didn't notice. ;) (I've removed the german post and your reminder.)

The 2.4 revision is still based on the B2C2-chipset and certainly works with the DVBViewer. I think they only modified some parts of the layout due to thermal-problems. But it is still not possible to use DiSEqC 2.0.

Bye, Oliver

Guest hackbart

well, may i post some more informations....

The current version of the DVBViewer works fine with the new skystar2 card. From channelscan up to Marfis splendid filter everything should run without a problem (this has been also tested with the cool usb box).

The design has been changed a little bit - this means it looks more like my realtek network card - if you bar the new tuner. This means: a really slim design + a neat tuner (smaller than the original one) = almost equal card (since the "heart" is the same).

I do not expect any problems - except the automatic symbolrate detection (caused by the new tuner).. ;)

Its a damn cool (in the truest sense of the word) new card..

Christian

Hey, the DVBViewer options are a good billing. But i dont know, if the DVBViewer TE can do all this promised things, and i had paid only 35 Euro also by ebay and not 69 Euro.

Guest hackbart

the Technisat Edition is logically slimmer :( By the way, the differences can be read in the english manual (part of the r5 release).

You might also be glad to hear, that i fixed a bug which caused a crash on 2k after 18 hours of watching the same channel ;) The bug was that small and perfectly hidden inside the code construct...

Christian

You might also be glad to hear, that i fixed a bug which caused a crash on 2k after 18 hours of watching the same channel

I think it was a feature. People who are watching the same channel for 18 hours must be stopped somehow ;)

Griga

Guest Michael

/me has a REV 2.3 and i never ever had heating problems ! :(

but a friend of me has the 2.4 and it is getting damn hot... you could really roast some beaf on it.... ;)

Guest Oliver

Hm, maybe the new model is really revision 2.68. The card on the picture above can't get so hot like the old ones, cause the "heater"-chip is no more. ;)

Bye, Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got version 2.6B from alternate.de.

I never had a SS2 before.

It works OK, does not seem to heat a lot.

Signal quality is not so good.

I get between 40%-60% most of the time, a colleague who has an Hauppage Nexus gets much higher figures.

Still the picture is mostly OK.

I think it has to do wit the power supplied by the SS2 to the LNBs.

Do you agree?

cheers,

MSI Hermes 650

Celeron 2.0Ghz

256 Mb DDR266

Western Digital 80GB

Guest Oliver
I get between 40%-60% most of the time, a colleague who has an Hauppage Nexus gets much higher figures.

On the same line?

I think it has to do wit the power supplied by the SS2 to the LNBs.

Do you agree?

No, that's unlikely. You should check the positioning of your dish and LNB.

Bye, Oliver

...but don't worry...

my SS2 on some channel with signal as little as 17% work perfectly! -_-;)

In fact the satellite signal is digital (DVB=Digital Video Broadcasting), so you won't see in the screen some eventual little error in the reception (maybe other service like TeleText or EPG can have some error, but who care? (w00t) )...

Cheers

Gioxy

my SS2 on some channel with signal as little as 17% work perfectl

Really? That's amazing - lately we had a thunderstorm here, and below 35% I could receive no TV, and below 30% no radio anymore.

If somebody wants to test it - there is a fine trick to simulate bad weather: Just put a wet lobe over the LNB.

I'm not sure wether the signal strength is influenced by the LNB power supply - it contains an amplifier, and if it's supplied with a voltage that is too low - may be.

Griga

A thunderstorm? (w00t) ...my situation was quite different...

It was a very clean nightsky ;) but I had to temporarily set my 60x80 cm dish inside my room, behind a large window, so having a very little but stable and indisturbed signal...

Normally, with the dish in his position, I obtain between 35%-60% with DVBViewer (...but now I'm curious to control if the other DVB SW give the same number... yes, I know, is the result of a function call, but I'm too curious... -_- )

IMHO is for this reason that the most important quality parameter of a LNB is the rumor figure and not the gain (if at lest you have some signal! :bye: )...

Gioxy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hackbart

hmm, interesting page it tooked some time to read the article - since my russian is otschen plocho :blush: - anyhow interesting.

By the way the new tuner should also be a little bit more sensitive and i also heard that the symbolrates could be in theory much more higher than they are up to 40000.

Christian