dvbviewer for slower pc's

miro111hrzg

hello.

I want to put my pinnacle dvb-t card in second computer and run it with DVBViewer.

Computer components are:

celeron 600mhz(pentium3) 128RAM nvidia32mb graphic card.

Is it possible or it's too low?

The most CPU power consuming job is video decoding. Try to play some MPEG2 stuff (a DVD or MPG video) on that PC. Then you'll know.

thank you for answer, yes, I can play DVD disc with intervideo decoder on that pc.

so that means dvbviwer could work ?

Pentium3 @ 600mhz should be fast enough, provided you use a good decoder (e.g. with MMX/SSE optimizations), the broadcasts are in MPEG2 and the PC is in good shape (no heavy background programs). That 128MB might bite you though if you try to use the PC for anything else while watching.

Ok, Installed latest DVBViewer with cyberlink mpeg2 decoder , I run it but I can see only picture no video running which means it's too high, Maybe I only need some good mpeg2 decoder for slower pc's.

Do you have maybe some suggestions, which decoder I should use with that slow PC?

Edited by miro111hrzg

Cyberlink's okay, but you need to enable "use hardware accelerator" in its options.

@ miro111hrzg:

You already have a video decoder, as you mention:

yes, I can play DVD disc with intervideo decoder on that pc.

Try to impose that decoder in "Options / DirectX / MPEG2 Video Decoder" and "Overlay" in the "Renderer / Video Renderer" field: with this setting DVBViewer work with the same DirectX filters as your DVD did...

:wacko:

I didn't found your setting, but it's not important.

Absolutely no chance to run DVBViewer on this components , LOL , to change one option I need to wait 10 seconds.

No chance!

Thanks you all for help.

Still, you should be able to run DVBViewer on such a setup. The only issue is the high bitrate of DVB-T compared to DVD and the handling/demuxing of the DVB-T stream. But a 600Mhz P3 should just about be able to cope with that is my guess. Which model is the Nvidia? What is your OS btw?

Edited by Klaus_1250

HI I used a p3 500 (not celeron) with a 32 mb geforce 2 graphics card win 98 for years.

It worked flawlesley.

recorded video everything!

Jpdamigaman

Absolutely no chance to run DVBViewer on this components , LOL , to change one option I need to wait 10 seconds.
Maybe you don't know, but you doesn't need to change this component on the fly: you better first click on "View / Close Graph" and then, in full peace (and instantly) you can set what you want in "Settings / Options / DirectX"... click on OK and you can check the new settings simply tuning some channel... it doesn't work? Well, again "Close Graph" and go to try another setting...

...or, to semplify our task, post here the file created with the SupportTool you find in the bottom of this post (click me)

BTW, I have a simple Celeron 300 with 128Mb (but with a good video card): I use it as DVBViewer LAN Client and I can see nearly all SD channel smoothly...

:wacko:

you can start DVBViewer with commandline parameter -c, which will prevent him from tuning a channel, maybe better than trying to klick on that menu-item all the time on a jerky computer... :wacko:

system was windows xp.

if I tried with 98, maybe It should work, however, it's computer from my sister and she don't wants old windows 98.

128MB is a bit too low for XP , if you can add another 128MB then this should be better or even higher.

Any fairly recent videocard helps alot to decode mpeg2. So it's crutial to enable hardware acceleration

in the software DVD player. A celeron600 is too slow to do it pure by main processor power.

Celerons are crippled Pentium's , less pipelines, less cache etc..etc. and they score good for typical

computer applications but not so good for heavy applications and 3d games.

Combination of celeron600 + videocard + powerDVD 7 hardware acceleration enabled) and correct DVBViewer settings

so sure not let it stay at "auto' shoud do the trick.

If she want's to use the computer also for other tasks, sure : add ram.

• 3 months later...

So, MPEG-2 decoding is the most intensive part. I'd like to setup a dvb-c card on my Windows 2000 "server"computer (P3 800MHz, 512MB) and only use that as network stream server or occasionally as a PVR, and I would do the actual viewing (decoding) on my desktop PC (Intel C2D E6320 2GB). Would I be successfull in doing that - I think that in this case the server machine doesn't need to do any decoding and would use much less resources?

you could stream from several cards, the cpu use is very small. Even a 200 mhz cpu should be enough (theoretically) :bye:

Wonderful!

So, the next step in my project is to select hardware. Windows 2000 doesn't support USB2.0, or does it?