Only subtitles and program info with mpeg4 channels

Nils-H

Hi!

I'm trying to watch the new h264 encoded channels with the latest DVBViewer. I have the coreavc h264 decoder (ver 1.2), and enabled the decoder for h264 in the "options". But when I tune into the channels, all i get is the dvb subtitles and the program information. No video or audio. When using the dvbsource filter, it says "not connected" or something. What could cause this behaviour? Is it a codec or encryption problem? Or is it simply the hardware that can't handle it (in that case, I would just expect choppy video...)? Also tried the ffdshow and mainconcept decoders with no luck.

I should probably also mention that the the channels are encrypted, and I have a subscription that includes these channels. But the cable provider insists that I have to buy their new HD-tuner and a new subscription card to watch the channels. I can view the new HD channels that use MPEG2 just fine (which is in the same subscription package), so I was hoping that I didn't need the new card (which of course is not sold separately....), if that could be the problem.

Hope this kind of made sense :)

Hardware:

Mac mini 1,8GHz dual core

Intel on board graphics card

FireDTV DVB-C with Conax CAM

Software:

Latest released DVBViewer

CoreAVC decoder 1.2

But when I tune into the channels, all i get is the dvb subtitles and the program information. No video or audio. When using the dvbsource filter, it says "not connected" or something.

That could indicate a problem with your subscription. EPG data could originate from other transponders but dvb-subtitles are part of the selected program. Could you check whether the PCR clock is running in the source filter view?

That could indicate a problem with your subscription. EPG data could originate from other transponders but dvb-subtitles are part of the selected program. Could you check whether the PCR clock is running in the source filter view?

I'll double check when I get home, but I think I remember a clock ticking. At least there were some numbers moving there.

If the channels are not decrypted, your conax module should show some kind of a message, or not?

Good question. I have not noticed anything within the DVBViewer application. I'll run the CI application that comes with the FireDTV and see if I can get any information out of it. What puzzles me is that I can view the MPEG2 channel that's supposed to be in the same subscription package.

yes, keep a look at that ci-application.. you should try to browse the cam menu with it. If there is a message from the cam/smartcard the window should pop up, but if DVBViewer runs in fullscreen and stays at front, you won't see that :)

Btw: you are not using one of the latest beta versions of DVBViewer, are you?

After double checking, there is no clock ticking, and today I don't even get subtitles (only program info). The CI program doesn't give me any information either.

..no, any module that that is certified for a corresponding CAS will do. The module doesn't care about the format or content if it's a DVB stream. In rare cases the high bitrate of hdtv_streams could cause some problems but at least something should get through. The module from your link is for transcoding mpeg4 into mpeg2. That will enable older receivers to show mpeg4_sdtv_programs but it is not for HDTV.

After double checking, there is no clock ticking, and today I don't even get subtitles (only program info). The CI program doesn't give me any information either.

..ok, I've overlooked this one :)

That is a clear indication that you either don't have reception or the channel has disappeared.

Thanks for your answers. I spoke with customer support today, trying to convince them that I only needed them to enable the channels on my existing subscription card.... But no...they won't enable it without me buying their new tuner... I'm not paying 300 Euros to watch 3 HDTV channels when my current tuner could handle them! :)

Strange...today, the Clock (PCR) is ticking again and the subtitles are back. But the "Video state" and "Audio state" says "No data/Connected". Any idea what this means?

again: no descrambling -> something wrong with your CI_module/smart card :bounce:

Thanks. I apologize if you found my questions too eager. I couldn't find any conclusive answer earlier, and thought some more confirmed information might help.

I appreciate your time helping me.

..if it is a problem with the cam handling, try the latest available DVBViewer-beta. Imho your postings lack clarity. Once you said that your subscription includes the hdtv channels but then you wrote:

I spoke with customer support today, trying to convince them that I only needed them to enable the channels on my existing subscription card.... But no...they won't enable it without me buying their new tuner...

could you explain :bounce:

Imho your postings lack clarity. could you explain :bounce:

I'll try.

The story is:

My cable provider just recently (a few days ago) released their HDTV offering. In that offering, customers with my subscription package should get the new HD channels in the package. However, they claim that to view the new channels, I have to buy their new tuner, which includes a new smart-card. I phoned customer service, and asked if they could enable the channels for my existing card, since I assumed that I didn't have access when I couldn't view them. But they didn't confirm one thing or the other, they just claimed that I needed the new card (and by that, of course, the new tuner).

So the "conclusion" is that nobody really knows :bye: I should have access to the channels since they are in my subscription package, but I don't really know if I have to get the new card. I though a smart card didn't make a difference (I thought the subscription packages was handled centrally), but I guess there's something to it, since I can't view the channels.

Now, I'm pretty sure that didn't help solving the problem :D

With regards to the beta, I thought it was closed?

There's a new beta in the member's area as you might have seen already :bounce:

But this won't help if your sc doesn't have the correct entitlements for these channels. Check you card in an official receiver if this is possible.

There's a new beta in the member's area as you might have seen already :bye:

But this won't help if your sc doesn't have the correct entitlements for these channels. Check you card in an official receiver if this is possible.

I tried the new beta, and I got a brief "no access" message on one of the HD channels. Guess I'll just have to wait until my provider becomes more HTPC friendly :bounce:

I tried the new beta, and I got a brief "no access" message on one of the HD channels. Guess I'll just have to wait until my provider becomes more HTPC friendly :bounce:

CANAL+FILM HD is a part of the CANAL+Total package but as you write it might not be autorized on non-hd smartcards.

You can test DVBViewer on Canal+FILM HD during daytime as it is not scrambled on daytime ( only scrambled in the evenings&nights).

Canal+ Film HD changed to MPEG4/H.264 earlier this week so you need codec for MPEG4/H.264.

Canal+Sport HD is not part of any package and cost 99 kroner per. month.

The HD package also cost 99 kroner per month. If it was possible to order this HD channels

without HD receiver you will have to pay the 2400 kr for one year anyway... The HD channels is free 12 months

when buying a new CD HD receiver for around 2400kr.

http://www.canaldigital.no/templates/gener...e____21155.aspx

Its kind of the other way around with subsidised SD satellitte receivers where the receiver is often

free but you pay full price for the subscribtion.

The smartcard for the CD HD satellite box works in any receiver but I'm not 100% sure if its the

same case with cable. If its the same with cable then the smartcard will work

with HTPC for the time being. I actually think a lot of people buy subsidised HD receiver and put the smartcard in

HTPC or a different HD receiver with conax common interface CAM.

Edited by Bobben
So the "conclusion" is that nobody really knows :bye: I should have access to the channels since they are in my subscription package, but I don't really know if I have to get the new card. I though a smart card didn't make a difference (I thought the subscription packages was handled centrally), but I guess there's something to it, since I can't view the channels.

What they probably did is, even though they fall under the same subscription package, they didn't let them fall under the same entitlements/keys as that package. Which means that unless they activate your smart-card for the HDTV-channels, you won't be able to view them. If they refuse to do that, there isn't much you can do.

PS: It might be though that they use a different encryption system for the HDTV-channels?

You can test DVBViewer on Canal+FILM HD during daytime as it is not scrambled on daytime ( only scrambled in the evenings&nights).

Canal+ Film HD changed to MPEG4/H.264 earlier this week so you need codec for MPEG4/H.264.

I can confirm that after a bit of switching and trying different decoders and options, that I can view the Canal+ Film HD unencrypted MPEG4 broadcast! So it's definetively a subscription issue. Thanks for the tip! :bye: I'm using the latest beta, but I'm not sure if that really had anything to do with it.

The smartcard for the CD HD satellite box works in any receiver but I'm not 100% sure if its the

same case with cable. If its the same with cable then the smartcard will work

with HTPC for the time being. I actually think a lot of people buy subsidised HD receiver and put the smartcard in

HTPC or a different HD receiver with conax common interface CAM.

They said that the received and sc was "paired", and they insisted that it wouldn't work in a different receiver. I'm not sure how this "pairing" thing works, so I wouldn't know...

They could do that. The reason it won't work in that case, is because they don't want it to work in any other equipment. IMHO a very consumer unfriendly approach, since it locks you in and usually means you will end up paying for it in the long run. I think it also touches the border of legality.