How do I jump forward 60 seconds when playing back a video?

smilingcrow

I can’t see a way to change the default setting for jumping forward and backward when viewing a file. The default is 10 seconds for each and I want to set it to 60 seconds forward and 15 seconds backwards.

It’s slow to jump as well which I think is possibly due to there being a delay before processing keyboard actions. Is this the case and if so how can I shorten this delay?

I'm using Version 3.6.1.2

if you are using the "jump +xy" function, try to press it three times and you'll get your 1 minute... ;)

15 seconds is not so easy to archive... but maybe you are lucky with 30? ;)

the option to change the jump intervals and delay was only included in the beta versions as hidden setting... who knows? Maybe it will be more visible in the next release :)

Edited by Moses
if you are using the "jump +xy" function, try to press it three times and you'll get your 1 minute... :)

15 seconds is not so easy to archive... but maybe you are lucky with 30? ;)

Aagh, I see how it works now, it seems to go 10, 30, 60, 120, 300, 600, 900 seconds if i press the key quickly repeatedly. Nice one; thanks.

I just need to get my ATI Remote Wonder to work with it now. Another thread I think.

the option to change the jump intervals and delay was only included in the beta versions as hidden setting... who knows? Maybe it will be more visible in the next release :)

It would be nice if this feature was added, even if you have to manually edit the settings in a configuration file.

Now that I realise how the jump works I think it’s a great way of doing it but I’d like to be able to tweak the numbers to suit my TV recordings. I use the jump to move through commercials so I’d like the jump backwards to be able to use smaller steps.

the option to change the jump intervals and delay was only included in the beta versions as hidden setting... who knows? Maybe it will be more visible in the next release

This is incorrect. It was included 2 years ago and is also documented in the FAQ.

I’ve got the Remote Wonder working now but it doesn’t work if I use the media playback buttons for some reason. If I assign the Pause button on my keyboard within DVBViewer it works fine. But if I then try using the Pause button on the Remote it doesn’t recognise it. All my other Multimedia applications recognise these multimedia commands whether they are supplied by a keyboard or a remote so this would be a good feature to add.

I’ve had to manually assign function keys within DVBViewer to Play and Pause and then assign the same functions keys to the programmable buttons on the Remote. It works but it’s not as intuitive as using the stock media control buttons.

This is incorrect. It was included 2 years ago and is also documented in the FAQ.

I've just looked at the FAQ on the website and the program help file and can't find a mention of this. So I searched the forum and found a topic that covers this issue: http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...904&hl=jump

The Jumptime section isn't present in my Setup file so I just added it and modified the values. It's working really well now and with remembering the last playing position for a file also it behaves very much my like hardware PVR. :)

Is there a limit on the numbers of files that it will remember the last playback position of?

I've been looking for information on how to change the delay time when responding to keyboard input but haven't found anything. Is this possible and if so where can I configure it?

I've been looking for information on how to change the delay time when responding to keyboard input but haven't found anything.

which delay? there are several. The one for the dynamic jump, the one for inputting channelnumbers (options -> tv+radio).

which delay? there are several. The one for the dynamic jump, the one for inputting channelnumbers (options -> tv+radio).

The dynamic jump I think.

It seems slow to jump forward 15 seconds when viewing a video file. I tested it with an MP3 and that’s slow also so I think it might be that the program is waiting for x seconds before processing the jump so that you can increase the jump time. Reading the forums gave me the impression that this delay time is a parameter that can be adjusted. If so where can I do this? I looked in the XML file and couldn’t see anything there that was obvious.

It's a "hidden setting", too.

You have to add that to your setup.xml.

Value: Keytimeout
Section: Jumptime
Accepted: 0 - 5000
Default: 600
Description: The timeout value of the dynamic jump forward / backward feature. The value describes the time in milliseconds.

For an example take a look here:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...time+keytimeout

(I hope I got it right this time, if not I'll better go to sleep again :))

Edited by Moses
It's a "hidden setting", too. You have to add that to your setup.xml.

Value: Keytimeout
Section: Jumptime
Accepted: 0 - 5000
Default: 600
Description: The timeout value of the dynamic jump forward / backward feature. The value describes the time in milliseconds.

Thanks, that helps a bit but it's still slow compared to my hardware PVR. I guess I've been spoiled by my Humax 9200T.

Edited by smilingcrow
Thanks, that helps a bit but it's still slow compared to my hardware PVR. I guess I've been spoiled by my Humax 9200T.

Yes. My motivation is also to match the performance of my Topfield.

On playback of a .ts file you can get a one minute jump by pressing the Next button, rather than the jump button. I use this in conjunction with the jump button, now set for 15 seconds.

In the other thread you mention: Quote uglyrooster:

SETUP.XML:

</section>

<section name="Jumptime">

<entry name="Keytimeout">2000</entry>

<entry name="0">30</entry>

<entry name="1">60</entry>

<entry name="2">120</entry>

<entry name="3">240</entry>

<entry name="4">480</entry>

<entry name="5">960</entry>

<entry name="6">1920</entry>

<entry name="7">3540</entry>

This post has been edited by uglyrooster: Apr 1 2007, 09:38 AM

Unquote.

Adjust your Keytimeout milliseconds to as short as you want, say 500. This will reduce the response time. Adjust the first jump interval to say 15 seconds.

Then you will have 1 min with the "next" button and 15 seconds with the jump button.

Edited by dezzy
My motivation is also to match the performance of my Topfield.

As soon as this topfield does the following:

Record 2 encrypted channels on Sat-Card A,

record the whole transponder on SAT-Card B,

Record 3 FTA channels on SAT-Card C,

record 5 Channels on 2 DVB-TCards and

playback a DVD while

browsing the EPG and

programming new recordings,

you can say it does match the DVBViewer... :bounce::bye:

On playback of a .ts file you can get a one minute jump by pressing the Next button, rather than the jump button.

Thanks. My files are .mpg although the format of the TV recordings is probably Transport Stream. I tried using the Next button but it didn't do anything even if I renamed the file to .TS. Am I missing something? Is the one minute 'Next' jump noticeably quicker?

playback a DVD while

browsing the EPG and

programming new recordings,

you can say it does match the DVBViewer... :bounce::bye:

You are right. No argument.

However, your response is out of context. I was answering the OP's comment about about his Humax, its response time and ease of use. The thread is about jump intervals while playing back video files.

I implied in my positive response that I have achieved a viewing experience comparable to a Topfield.

I hope that with these minor adjustments his enjoyment of DVBViewer will also be enhanced.

Thanks. My files are .mpg although the format of the TV recordings is probably Transport Stream. I tried using the Next button but it didn't do anything even if I renamed the file to .TS. Am I missing something? Is the one minute 'Next' jump noticeably quicker?

You should try it. The changes I have suggested have considerably enhanced my viewing experience. The response for either button is now almost instantaneous. (Dare I say, almost like a PVR)

The default keytimeout is 600. 500 is still real big, it's half a second... if you really just want to jump 15 secs, you should set it further down. I think 0 shoulb be possible, too, but be sure not to press the buttons two times too fast. :bounce:

The next button does nothing while playback (and the playlist is empty), I think you have assigned it to something else. You can build it for yourself... if 60seconds is your 3rd jump interval, just add an input and add "jump plus 10" three times, now you'll have DVBViewer press that button 3 times for you and you'll get an instant 1 minute jump. You should be able to adjust the jump time to let's say 10ms and you have an nearly instant 15 second jump and nearly instant 60second jump.

You should try it. The changes I have suggested have considerably enhanced my viewing experience. The response for either button is now almost instantaneous. (Dare I say, almost like a PVR)

I have and it’s still slow. The strange thing is that the value that I set in the setup.XML file gets changed by the programme at times. There’s no Jumptime section in the ‘other’ setup file so it can’t be anything to do with that. I have to close the program and re-start it twice before the setting sticks!

The default keytimeout is 600. 500 is still real big, it's half a second... if you really just want to jump 15 secs, you should set it further down. I think 0 shoulb be possible, too, but be sure not to press the buttons two times too fast. :bounce:

Even if I set it to 50ms or lower it’s still slow. It seems to just freeze for 1.5 seconds or so every time it jumps regardless of what I try. Maybe there’s an issue with my PC (dual-core 2GHz, 2GB DDR2-667, 7,200rpm SATA) or another setting in DVBViewer that I’ve over looked?

The next button does nothing while playback (and the playlist is empty), I think you have assigned it to something else. You can build it for yourself... if 60seconds is your 3rd jump interval, just add an input and add "jump plus 10" three times, now you'll have DVBViewer press that button 3 times for you and you'll get an instant 1 minute jump. You should be able to adjust the jump time to let's say 10ms and you have an nearly instant 15 second jump and nearly instant 60second jump.

You are correct he hadn’t stated that he’d manually assigned a function for this. I just did the same and it’s a very useful feature particularly if you have a remote control with loads of programmable buttons. :bye: I was confused at first as adding four 15 second Jumps in a custom function gave me a 2 minute jump rather than 60 seconds. It seems to double the value each time rather than add.

Anyway, it still has the 1.5 – 2 second freeze no matter what I do. It’s mildly annoying but in the process of getting to understand more about DVBViwer I’ve come to appreciate just how flexible it is. Since some of you are able to get it to work without this freeze I’ll give it another go over the weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nah.. it's not doubling anything... that's not how it works.

Let's say your jump steps are 15, 30, 60, 120. If you press the jump +xx action once it will jump 15 secs, if you press it a second time and the keytimeout isn't over jet, it will jump 30 secs, the third press will give you 60secs and the fourth 120... it's selecting the step, not doubling anything... if you set all steps to 15, you will always get 15 secs, no matter how often you press the button (expect for an ocasional 0 when it start's again)... :bye:

Of course there is always a little delay, but 1.5-2 secs seems a little long... or are you talking about H.264? Then it's quite good... :)