Bug? 2 Audio codecs loaded on Vista 64 bits

Huigie

Vista

vista.jpg

Looks like Vista is loading 2 audio codecs...

Even though in options-> DirectX-> MPEG Audio Decoder: Cyberlink Audio Decoder (PDVD7) is selected, the MS decoder is used.

If I play a DVD with DVBViewer, the "MPEG audio decoder" dissapears from the filter menu, the Cyberlink Decoder then lets itself change the setting to 6 speakers properly and it works like it should. If I then change back to TV the "MPEG audio decoder" takes over again. Very frustrating...

TV card: TwinhanDTV Cab-CI (2033 Mantis), driver version: 1.0.5.6

Mobo: Asus P5W Deluxe, Intel 975x chipset

Vidcard: nVidia 8800GTX, driver version: 158.24

support.zip

Something seems to be wrong with your DirectShow installation. From the SystemInfo.txt:

CyberLink Audio Decode (PDVD7.x): 09040000

CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD7): 09040000

MPEG Audio Decoder: 03680001 (File is missing) <--------- ???

CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD7 UPnP): 00800000

CyberLink Audio Decoder(TwinHan): 00601000

Usually the MPEG Audio Decoder is located in Windows\System32\quartz.dll (very important file, don't delete or unregister it). I'd use the RadLight Filter Manager to check the state of the decoder (see DirectShow section). Maybe re-registering quartz.dll helps.

Lol, it gets even worse, just installed 2x1GB Xtra, so 4GB RAM in total now. DVBViewer starts up and it shows "no data available". I i remove the xtra RAM it works again...

Something seems to be wrong with your DirectShow installation. From the SystemInfo.txt:

Usually the MPEG Audio Decoder is located in Windows\System32\quartz.dll (very important file, don't delete or unregister it). I'd use the RadLight Filter Manager to check the state of the decoder (see DirectShow section). Maybe re-registering quartz.dll helps.

RadLight Filter Manager gave an error when I tried to re-register quartz.dll so I just did a clean install, it shows the same, think that's a Vista64 thing...

Lol, it gets even worse, just installed 2x1GB Xtra, so 4GB RAM in total now. DVBViewer starts up and it shows "no data available". I i remove the xtra RAM it works again...

If I set the "memory remap feature" to disabled in the bios the OS only shows 3,2GB RAM but DVBViewer works. Not a nice solution but for the time being it will do. The codec issue sucks big time, sound is horrible atm...

I just saw the same thing in another SystemInfo.txt that was created under Vista. So I guess missing access rights prevent the support tool from finding the quartz.dll.

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to make GraphEdit work under Vista, that, by using "Connect to Remote Graph", would give a clear insight in what is going on with the decoders (it requires installing some MS SDK... maybe Google can tell you more, search for GraphEdit and Vista).

You can try to set the merit value of the MPEG Audio Decoder to MERIT_DO_NOT_USE (after that, reboot or log out/in). But, whatever you want do with the RadLight Filter Manager, you'll have to launch it explicitely with admin rights! Otherwise nothing will work... and I tell you, I'm really happy that I'm still with my ol' WinXP. IMO running DVB cards under Vista 64 Bit is something for people who are eager for problems. I'm not :)

Same scenario here described by Huigie. I thought this would be normal with 2 codecs, because I have no really problems.. (I'm also running Vista 64bit)

If I want to re-register quartz.dll, RadLight Filter Manager wants a DirectShow Filter...a file. So, I can't change the merit value of the filter.

This file (quartz.dll) is also located at "X:\Windows\SysWOW64"...

Edited by darky

Oh graphedit says: Cyberlink changed something on the output pin in 7.3.xxx and the graphbuilder adds the MS thingy automatically to get it rendered. Unfortunatly this goes in most cases wrong. So maybe try another audiodecoder, or go back to an older cyberlink version.

...or go back to an older cyberlink version.

Thx, will try that. Is there a way to use DVBViewer on Vista 64 bits with the full 4GB RAM enabled?

ps. It works great on WinXP Pro 64 bits with 4GB enabled.

yes, I'm using DVBViewer on Vista 64bit and 4 GB RAM without problems...

Would like to know how you did that... :bounce:

DVB starts up perfectly, OSD just shows the "No data available" message.

Are you talking about the mini-epg? It say's "No Data available", when it didn't got any EPG Data to show, yet... ?

It's not a real error message, just try another channel or something.

Never ever have I been so frustrated about TV on PC since I bought a digital tuner card...

In Vista, whatever I do, I can not scan channels in the new DVBViewer. Never could in XP too for that matter. If Casema changes channels I have to startup in Windows XP, use version 3.2.6 to scan, no newer version finds channels...then copy the DVB folder to my Vista disk to be able to watch TV...

This is what I did, hope you can find something that I did wrong...

On Vista I did a clean install of version 3.6.1.20, in the Transponder folder I dropped my Casema document which looks like:

[sATTYPE]

1=4000

2=Kabel (QAM 64) Casema v.3

[DVB]

0=106

1=290000,8,6875

2=298000,8,6875

3=308000,8,6875

4=316000,8,6875

5=324000,8,6875

6=332000,8,6875

7=340000,8,6875

8=348000,8,6875

9=356000,8,6875

10=364000,8,6875

11=372000,8,6875

12=380000,8,6875

13=388000,8,6875

14=396000,8,6875

15=404000,8,6875

16=412000,8,6875

17=420000,8,6875

18=428000,8,6875

19=436000,8,6875

20=444000,8,6875

I select the hardware, setup directx, all the usual stuff. Then I go to Channel->Channellist->Options->Scan.

Scan window looks like this:

scan.jpg

Then I press scan range and not a single channel is found...

result.jpg

Same settings in 3.2.6 on XP and all channels are found... I'm so f88king frustrated atm...

And now that I have it working, sound is crap because of the "Cyberlink changed something on the output pin in 7.3.###### and the graphbuilder adds the MS thingy". So I find an old PDVD 6 CD, install that and indeed it works, I can change to 6 channel audio. So I start National Geographic HD....error on the video codec, no HD codec in PDVD6.... *sigh*. I install the new PDVD 7 again and don't quit DVBViewer so that the "CLAud.ax" codec does not get removed. I quit DVBViewer to get the HD video codec loaded, yes, I have HD view but sound is crap again...codec got removed. So I go to the cyberlink folder, try to find the new CLAud.ax to replace it with the old CLAud.ax from PDVD6....there isn't 1 in the new version.... Man I got a headache...

Can't this be made simpeler for the not so nerdy user... I don't mind paying for example 100 euro instead of 15 for an installer that takes care of all this crap...this is way too frustrating.

Now I have the newest OS, a new twinhan mantis card that has 64 bits drivers, 4GB of ram of which I can only load 3.2 or else I get no picture... and crappy sound...ow, and a headache... :bounce:

Ok, there are some issues with your transponder.ini, at least I think so...

0=106 should be 0=20 in your case, it's meant to tell the parser the number of transponders... so it should be 20 not 106, but that's not the main issue it seems.

the "8" after the frequenzies seems very strange to me. I don't know where you got that, but take a look at your screenshot while DVBViewer is scanning: it says "Q32". This is very likely to be wrong, because your list's name contains "QAM 64", so I would try to scan QAM 64, not 32... :bye:

exchange the 8 to a three, that will scan the transponders with QAM64 modulation. Maybe the difference is that the older DVBViewer is not able to scan QAM32 and default to QAM64? I don't know... but I think that change from 8 to 3 should repair your scanning.. :bounce:

Ok, there are some issues with your transponder.ini, at least I think so...

0=106 should be 0=20 in your case, it's meant to tell the parser the number of transponders... so it should be 20 not 106, but that's not the main issue it seems.

the "8" after the frequenzies seems very strange to me. I don't know where you got that, but take a look at your screenshot while DVBViewer is scanning: it says "Q32". This is very likely to be wrong, because your list's name contains "QAM 64", so I would try to scan QAM 64, not 32... :bye:

exchange the 8 to a three, that will scan the transponders with QAM64 modulation. Maybe the difference is that the older DVBViewer is not able to scan QAM32 and default to QAM64? I don't know... but I think that change from 8 to 3 should repair your scanning.. :bounce:

Thank you so very much Moses! A mate of mine made that document for me and it allways worked in 3.2.6, lol!

Now all I need is a fix for the Audio Codec...just tried PDVD 7.2, same problem...

No data?

you mean no device?

Whatever channel I select, it allways show this with 4GB RAM adressed:

4GB_RAM.jpg

If I disable the "Memory Remap Feature" in my bios/chipset then it works without a problem.

If I disable the "Memory Remap Feature" in my bios/chipset then it works without a problem.

Seems the driver can't cope with memory remap.

Better use TransEdit (-> members area) for editing transponder lists, scanning and exporting the results to DVBViewer. It makes the settings much more obvious.

Seems the driver can't cope with memory remap.

Thx, I emailed Digitalrise about this.

yes, I'm using DVBViewer on Vista 64bit and 4 GB RAM without problems...

What driver version are you using? Mine is 1.0.5.6. (v3.3).

Thx, I emailed Digitalrise about this.

Got a reply:

Please ask the DVBViewer developers ...

They have our cards for testing.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by Huigie
Please ask the DVBViewer developers ...

They have our cards for testing.

Regards,

Martin

Very funny :bye:

Yes I got a Card from them, but I have no intention to buy a complete new system to test a problem with 4 GB RAM... :bounce:

Does the software of the twinhan card work in this case?

Very funny :bye:

Yes I got a Card from them, but I have no intention to buy a complete new system to test a problem with 4 GB RAM... :bounce:

I live behind my PC so I don't mind donating some cash so you can buy more RAM etc...

I live behind my PC so I don't mind donating some cash so you can buy more RAM etc...

Well maybe you first answer the question about the twinhan software, this could save you some money :bounce:

If the software does not work either, we can make it a twinhan problem again :bye:

For Audio Filter: just try the AC3 Filter, or is this not possible in vista?

Thx Moses, I am using that now.

Well maybe you first answer the question about the twinhan software, this could save you some money :bye:

If the software does not work either, we can make it a twinhan problem again :D

Just tried it, am mailing with Martin again... :D

Hi Martin, just checked that and I'm sorry to tell you that DigitalTV 3.3 also does not give a picture when the Asus "Memory Remap Feature" is enabled.

Eventually a message come on: "Failed to play the program".

On quit, 1 of the dual core proc spikes to 100% use. When I try to force quit DigitalTV with the task manager I get a message: "End Process, The operation could not be completed, Access is denied". Machine refuses to restart and has to be reset.

Hope this helps....

Most kind regards,

Rob

To be continued....

ps Lars, still would like to use the Cyberlink 7.3 decoder... :bounce:

Lars, still would like to use the Cyberlink 7.3 decoder...

There is nothing we can do. There are several reports about problems with the 7.3 (hardware accel does not work on vista etc) it seems cyberlink does not want other applications to use their decoders...

• 1 month later...

Ok, I installed PowerDVD 7.0 and could use that audio codec without a problem.

So I installed version DVBV 3.8 and now even 7.0 won't work...

Any idea? After reading that a PowerDVD problem was fixed I installed powerdvd 7.3 but then I have my initial problem back.