4:2:2 broadcasts

Breffni

Christian,

Knowing that 4:2:2 is not an encryption system, I wonder if you could help me with the settings to be made in order to view this type of signal using DVBViewer. I read somewhere that this could be done making some rendering adjustments (whatever that means).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Breffni

:)

Guest Oliver

Hello!

Well, it's a method of compression. The best is 4:4:4. You have to have installed the correct codec to watch corresponding videofiles with DVBViewer. But every MP2- and DivX-decoder known to me is capable of that.

Bye, Oliver

Oliver,

4:2:2 is not a video codec - Divx type of thing. It is a DVB transmission system, a kind of softcrypt used for feeds, which be received by dedicated receivers OR by changing certain parameters (rendering parameters) in software, such as DVBViewer.

Can anyone esle help!

Thanks all the same

Regards

Breffni

Guest Oliver

Obviously you failed to understand. Of course it's not a video-codec. It's a mean of compressing video-data. Usually there are 4:4:4, 4:4:2, 4:2:2, 4:2:1 and 4:2:0. Here is some additional information for you:

MPEG-2 video extends the sampling-choices to three t; the old 4:2:0, and the new ones are 4:2:2, and 4:4:4. DVD-video, which is a contrained-parameter MPEG2 is restricted to 4:2:0, so that's all that counts. Incidentally 4:2:2 is functionally equivalent (though not exactly the same, implementation wise) to the YUV-packed formats YUY2, UYVY. Both are 16bpp, and both subsample the CbCr (U/V) data 1/2 in horizontal (so a 720x480 4:2:2 frame = 720x480 Y, 360x480 U, 360x480 V)

Bye, Oliver

Guest hackbart

Hmm, 4:2:2 is a mpeg2 norm which only contains each 2nd C-Point of a signal. Normally used for cable broadcasters.. I really do not have any influence in the data packages coming from the satellite. The mpeg data is decoded via the decoder, which should handle these things.

Christian

• 3 months later...

How can I watch EBU feeds (mpeg 4.2.2) with DVBViewer 199R6??

Sorry for bad English, but I hope you can help me.

P III 664 Mhz 256 MB Skystar 2 card

Greetings Bart

• 3 weeks later...

@klausing

EBU is an union off all european state tv-stations for example RAI, TVE, SRG, ORF, TF1 also known as EUROVISION !!!

Feeds can you recieve on the eutelsat w3 at 7°east/ all feeds are encoded in mpeg 4:2:2.

• 2 months later...
Prog uses the Elecard Decoder Filter. To get 4:2:2 streams run properly in the DVBViewer just change the Decoder to Intervideo, Cyberlink or Elecard.

Christian

Neither windvd (Intervideo) nor powerdvd (Cyberlink) is able to decode 4:2:2.. you have to switch to elecard.

• 2 weeks later...

elecard is also the only with working 4:2:2 for me.

Is the signal strength of more importance with 4:2:2? Yesterday on a 4:2:2 feed I had 30% strength but still squares freezing from time to time.

Is the signal strength of more importance with 4:2:2? Yesterday on a 4:2:2 feed I had 30% strength but still squares freezing from time to time.

..no, the signal strength (signal quality is the better term :radscorpion: ) is not related to the different formats though it could be that elecard's codec has a lesser concealment algo than other decoders.

If the error rate (can be monitored with the technisat tool) stays at zero, it should be ok. Why the signal strength sometimes changes when some options are changed, imho nobody really knows. The transmission parameters are monitored upstream in the frontend.

OK thanks. Don't think I actually had anything but 0 in the error rate. I think I checked it as I was unsure if the freezing was a signal or filter issue. Will have to wait for another 4:2:2 feed to check it again.

My P4 2,40 should be able to handle it..