Channels search on client

fredfred

Hi,

I use dvbserver on a server , and on my notebook i use DVBViewer like client using unicast.

I've seen that if i make search channels on server (using DVBViewer or wizard) it finds on hotbird

more than 2000 channels... but if i make it on client it finds about 1200 channel...

on the same sat and with the same transponder file .ini , why ? :D

Note: I'm using the latest version on DVBViewer & dvbserver.

Another question... i like tune feeds frequence... i've seen that there is not a simple

method to scan new frequences that are not present in the transponder.ini... the only method

(avoiding to add manually the new frequency) is using TransEdit... but it don't support dvbserver, right ? :)

Bye

Edited by fredfred
..run transedit on the server via a remote desktop.

Thanks for immediate answer. :)

I already use this solution using VNC, and sharing directory on lan...

but i don't like this method... i like server use a PII 350 with about 100mb ram

and so it is difficult (impossible :D ) to use preview, it is necessary stop dvbserver etc...

And for the question about the number of channels found, any idea ?

Bye

Transedit has not networking capabilities, so you'll have to live with it or use network scanning via the dvbserver. The difference in channel numbers can have different reasons. Maybe you've checked data channels in transedit or..

experiment with the buffer size on the dvbserver. it might help.

Thanks for answer... but the problem remain.

It scan the transponder (i see this in Setup4C(on server), in "State" i see that the frequency is tuned and the signal is about 80%)

but not channels found... the PAT remain RED...

for Derrik: "Maybe you've checked data channels in transedit or.."

i speak about the channels searh of DVBViewer on server and not transedit.

Same transponder file , same version program... on server about 2000 channels... on client about 1200...

You should try low buffer counts for a remote scan on the server.

local hotbird scan on the client with a firedtv: 1890 channels

remote scan, buffer count 2 and 4: 1890 channels

remote scan, buffer count=100: 130

Transedit scan with all options (data channels): 2660 channels -> translates to 2081 channels after export to the DVBViewer.

You should try low buffer counts for a remote scan on the server.

local hotbird scan on the client with a firedtv: 1890 channels

remote scan, buffer count 2 and 4: 1890 channels

remote scan, buffer count=100: 130

Transedit scan with all options (data channels): 2660 channels -> translates to 2081 channels after export to the DVBViewer.

Hi,

same problem ;)

I've tried with differents parameters... but no good results.

I'm forced to buy a usb dvb-s/s2 card ;)

You don't need to change the buffersize for scan with the 3.8.0.0 server. Scan works only with unicast and the buffersize is adjusted automatically. If it doesn't find all channels, simply rescan the missing frequencies or scan on the server computer with DVBViewer or transedit and copy the channels.dat.

... Scan works only with unicast and the buffersize is adjusted automatically.

Hi, I use Unicast...

If it doesn't find all channels, simply rescan the missing frequencies or scan on the server computer with DVBViewer or transedit and copy the channels.dat.

This is not a solution ;) i've buyed the pro version after i've read that the remote scanning works... but i think it don't.

I use feeds frequencies... and it is not possible every time scan frequency on server and copy it to client...

TransEdit it's a powerful tool, but it doesn't run in remote. so i must buy a usb card. it's the only solution !!!

I think the problem is the ""tuner lock"" time on client...

is possible to increase the tuner lock on client ??

I know in client it is not a tuner lock... but i mean the time to wait for establish if the current

frequency is active or not...

I watch on server that there is signal... but the card tune it

after client is passed to another frequency.

I use feeds frequencies... and it is not possible every time scan frequency on server and copy it to client...

The internal scanning engine is not ment for feed hunting ;) With your SS2 you could try to tune to a slightly higher frequency (1-2 Mhz) for scpc carriers with a SR < 6000 kbaud.

The internal scanning engine is not ment for feed hunting ;)

Hi Derrick...

Ok it is not ment for feeds...

But on client the normal search channels doesn't work properly...

I've tested all your suggestions... but nothing!!!!

I think this is a problem... and it would have to be resolved... or not ?

can't help you.. ..but I've got a SS2 as well and I will repeat my tests with this card.

btw. if it's not ment for feeds, you don't have to scan that often ;)

ok, I tried network scanning with my SS2. It's pretty useless I must admit. Different parameters (low bandwidth, stop stream, open whole transponder, retune) had no significant influence. Only about 600 channels were found on astra 19E.

Scanning single frequencies worked ok. So you're probably right that a different timing could solve the problem. In the past it was possible to raise the lock timeout in the ini of the DVBViewer. Dunno whether this is still possible. but the internal scanning engine is a pain in the neck anyway o:) For example it is not possible to get a tree view of the transponders in the channel editor (what a euphemism :P ). That's why I only use transedit for my scans ;)

You don't need to change the buffersize for scan with the 3.8.0.0 server. Scan works only with unicast and the buffersize is adjusted automatically. If it doesn't find all channels, simply rescan the missing frequencies or scan on the server computer with DVBViewer or transedit and copy the channels.dat.

I forgot to mention that my experience shows that the buffer count has an influence. With the standard count 100 only a fraction of the channels were found (pinnacle_dvb-s2_usb2 device)

imho, rescanning single frequencies can't be possible a solution ;)

I forgot to mention that my experience shows that the buffer count has an influence. With the standard count 100 only a fraction of the channels were found (pinnacle_dvb-s2_usb2 device)

imho, rescanning single frequencies can't be possible a solution :rolleyes:

Hi Derrick, i'm happy that there is an interest for my problem...

Rescanning single frequency don't work... i've tested on normal hotbird 13°E frequency

and for example on 10719.00 V (i receive it with about 89% of signal) but on 20 tests it found

correct channels in ONLY 1 .

In the case of others frequencies i've tested about 40 times... but nothing... (tuning on server it work...)

Do you know if transedit has a command line input ? it is interesting to have directly a ini file with chans on that frequency,

so i can build a remote application in java rmi to scan a frequency on server, to take the ini file and so import it.

I've tried to add this parameters (on client) to transedit.ini

udTunerLock=100000

udPATTimeout=150000

udPMTTimeout=150000

udSDTTimeout=150000

udNITTimeout=150000

but there are no changes :( I think that using unicast device, the client don't read this parameters...

i'm happy that there is an interest for my problem...

..that won't help very much. I'm afraid there's not much interest of the devs to change things. Try as I told you to scan with transedit via a remote desktop and import the channel.ini into you client. That's much more reliable.

..that won't help very much. I'm afraid there's not much interest of the devs to change things. Try as I told you to scan with transedit via a remote desktop and import the channel.ini into you client. That's much more reliable.

Ok, i can't still use DVBViewer...

I've buyed it after i have read that the remote scanning was possible...

and so i can accept that is not possibile to change tuner lock time etc... on client

But i can't accept that the NORMAL SCAN doesn't work properly.

It is a very good program, but for my interests i've spold 15euros uselessly.

I return to Alt-dvb :rolleyes:

Last question:

If devs sais that channels search is possibile in client (using unicast) they have tested this or not ?

I want only know what version of driver and dvb card has been used for test... (maybe driver problem or another setting thing to set)

I wait for an devs answer... to know this!!!

Thanks a lot Derrick, for your patience and test with ss2.!!!

..you're welcom. AltDVB is a good alternative. It's a different concept. DVBViewer is certainly the better choice for HTPC fans :rolleyes: Channel settings and editing is much more advanced in altdvb. I only use altdvb occasionally cos my favorite hardware is not supported (yet). Dunno whether there will be another version ever :( btw. does altdvb support network scanning?

..you're welcom. AltDVB is a good alternative. It's a different concept. DVBViewer is certainly the better choice for HTPC fans :( Channel settings and editing is much more advanced in altdvb. I only use altdvb occasionally cos my favorite hardware is not supported (yet). Dunno whether there will be another version ever :wacko: btw. does altdvb support network scanning?

AltDvb support perfectly the network scanning, also different values for tuner lock on client :rolleyes: !!!

It seems to have the skystar on client !! I thought with DVBViewer to have the same ... but nothing!!!

I see that no one devs is interesting in this problem...

I'm afraid because this is not ONLY a my problem ... but of all who have my configuration...

that in the spec it is supported. (dvbserver + client)

I hope that the problem will be resolved... (it is a problem of the DVBViewer and so in this case it would have to be resolved... (remeber 15€???))