A bunch of questions about v3.8.0.0

Cooler

I had a bit of free time on my hands, so I decided to play with DVBViewer again in hope to fix some "features" I've been having after getting initial problems fixed via forum here. Apparently that was a bad choice, as things went bad to worse.

Previously I had basically only two problems. I was unable to get screenshots and I was getting lousy picture and sound if I tried timed recording... allthought recordings were fine if I was recording while watching the channel.

After upgrading to v3.8.0.0 (by installing on top of v3.6.1.20) I noticed everything did not go smoothly:

All channels were messed up, favorites were gone, some settings (DirectX etc.) needed to be set again.

After those were fixed, I realized I'm still missing something: Where's that menu/toolbar from the bottom of the window which I used to quickly access the "Mute" button? I mean, the one which pops up when I move mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen?

Also... starting at v3.8.0.0 I hear "ding" from speakers every time I start DVBViewer, but no information is stored to Windows logs.

I think I'm gonna do a complete reinstall... after I get some more recent codecs to replace my ancient ones, but as I'm not fond of blindly adding codecs I would like to know if there is some degree of consensus about best codecs and versions of them. Not only free ones, but I may think commercial ones, too...

So, basically what I'm after is...

- What is the functional difference between recording current channel while watching it and timed recording? One works, one stutters badly.

- Where's the screenshot function? Only seen it in settings, but I can't get it working.

- Where's that handy menu with play control and mute buttons from the bottom of the screen?

- What is that error(?) at every start of DVBViewer... and how to get rid of it?

- I don't have enough cash or time to try every existing codec, so suggestions to "hall of fame for codecs" would be nice.

There was something else, too... but apparently my memory does not serve like it used to do...

Edit: attache :)

Edited by Cooler
Where's that menu/toolbar from the bottom of the window which I used to quickly access the "Mute" button? I mean, the one which pops up when I move mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen?

Settings -> Options ... -> General, activate "Controlbar Popup" and choose a adequate delay.

Also... starting at v3.8.0.0 I hear "ding" from speakers every time I start DVBViewer, but no information is stored to Windows logs.

That "ding" normaly means, that some key was pressed, but nothing processed it... how do you start DVBViewer?

- Where's the screenshot function? Only seen it in settings, but I can't get it working.

Screenshot does not work, if you are using the overlay renderer. There it is for every other renderer: View->Screenshot. :)

- I don't have enough cash or time to try every existing codec, so suggestions to "hall of fame for codecs" would be nice.

Cyberlink is my choice... does a very good job here all the time. ;)

Settings -> Options ... -> General, activate "Controlbar Popup" and choose a adequate delay.

That "ding" normaly means, that some key was pressed, but nothing processed it... how do you start DVBViewer?

Screenshot does not work, if you are using the overlay renderer. There it is for every other renderer: View->Screenshot. :)

Cyberlink is my choice... does a very good job here all the time. :)

1. Excellent! Now, how did that checkbox got unchecked at first place... :o

2. Starting it with shortcut copied to root of start menu. Same thing happens if shortcut is in quick launch bar.

3. Bummer. I must try other options, but overlay mode seems to give smoother video.

4. Currently using InterVideo NonCSS Video (and Audio) decoder for Hauppage. My (version?) of CyberLink causes bad video stutter.

Thanks for tips! I'll start by checking if I can get other renderers producing usable video. :mellow:´

Edit: For 3rd item, screenshots seems to be working... so far. However, there are black borders on SS even while in video there are none. That is, if I force aspect ratio to 4:3. With Auto, aspect ratio of SS is wider (16:9?) than video (4:3), but then there are black borders even with video. Oh, well... back to tinkering. :blush:

Edited by Cooler

More findings. General appearance on TV window on screen (Open/Maximize/etc. TV window) is faster, but changing channel is slower and it produces artifacts for some seconds.

As far as the "ding" effect on startup, perhaps these errors have something to do with it? Why they appear or what's "Weatherwindows has to do with TV, I have no idea whatsoever:

DVBViewer.log:

8/12/2007 22:20:26 EAccessViolation raised by instance frmRecWin of class TfrmRecWin at 00000000:Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00000000. 
Lesen von Adresse 00000000

osderror.log:

12.08.07 22:20:27 WindowsInit	  Could not init the Window: The Weatherwindow

For having working screenshot function, I have to use VMR9 even while it's not quite as good choice I'd like it to be. VMR7 does not work, as it produces only two narrow stripes of video tp left and right side of the screen. Overlay would work, but it would disable screenshots.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have to settle with VMR9 or Overlay and both of those are compromises.

I have to try if I can get timed recording to produce usable results and then decide which one of those is better choice.

Edit: formatting.

Edited by Cooler
what's "Weatherwindows has to do with TV, I have no idea whatsoever:

Well if it was a tverror.log, I would wonder also. But OSDerror.log does state quite clearly what is in there, doesn't it? :P

Well if it was a tverror.log, I would wonder also. But OSDerror.log does state quite clearly what is in there, doesn't it? ;)

Fair enough. So, DVBViewer has some sort of (non-functional) weather... service/window/radar/whatever. How can I either remove it or disable completely to get rid of those errors and annoying "ding effect"? I mean, don't even try to use or initialize such, as I only want to watch TV. If I need to check weather, I already have "weather window" on my apartment. :P

What about EAccessViolation on other log? any relation with these errors?

Edit: typo. ("what's wrong with my spelling on these days...")

Edited by Cooler

I don't think that it's connected to the "ding" effect... you are not the only one expiriencing the "ding", Lars is looking into it, hopefuly he will find a solution :P

You can disable the OSD somewhere in options. But I don't know if that realy disables everything or just doesn't show the OSD anymore, so the error will be logged anyway... you shouldn't care about that error too much, I think it's quite common if you don't install some weather icons and so on.

You can disable the OSD somewhere in options. But I don't know if that realy disables everything or just doesn't show the OSD anymore, so the error will be logged anyway... you shouldn't care about that error too much, I think it's quite common if you don't install some weather icons and so on.

Ok. I just get a bit annoyed with that sound, as it manifested itself after installing 3.8.0.0 only. If I need to check local weather forecast, I can do it via certain webpages.

The message was there before (<3.8.0.0.), and it doesn't cause the beep.

Message, perhaps... but I did not get the sound before. I don't care if those messages are in the logs. They're not annoying, but the sound is. ;)