Playback of recordings

sapper

Hi all,

I am having issues playing back my files.

I ahve a Techno-trend S2-3200 DVB-S card, and it work for recording and viewing free to view Sky channels here in the uk.

The main purpose of the system is to record BBC-HD on sky.

I will hasten to add that the picture is fine, it is with the sound I have a problem with. I can reocrd in h264 format with the sound, and can play back in DVBViewer with no probles with sound or picture, the sound stream being detected on my AV amp is 5.1 (AC3)

However when I try and view the recording on windows media player, whislt I get sound, and in 5.1, it is very choppy, breaking up and is unwatchable.

Viewing the file in PowerDVD7.3 Ultra fails, PowerDVD just freezes with a still of the opening frame of the recording.

However, when Iset the DVBViewer software to reocrd in stereo, PowerDVD will play the recording, whilst Media Player 11 freezes on the opening frame.

What settings should I use for recording on DVBViewer so that I can export the recordings; or make avaialaibe for torrent should Iwish to?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is more information here in this thread on another smaller form More inforamtion on this problem here

I do hope soem one can help please

Adrian

What settings should I use for recording on DVBViewer so that I can export the recordings; or make avaialaibe for torrent should Iwish to?

Ok let me get this strait. You want us to help you to illegal publish copyrighted material via torrent?

You're joking, right?

Ok let me get this strait. You want us to help you to illegal publish copyrighted material via torrent?

You're joking, right?

Opps

I see how that sounds, and I apologise... But I did say should I wish to, rather than that was my aim!

I am More so interested with being able to view my own recordings on another PC on my home network, or my laptop if iam working away from home.

As Iunderstand I ahve paid for, at a very sensible rate I agree one license of DVBViewer which I use to record and watch free to view programs.

However, I will often wnat to watch the reocrded programs on another PC. At the moment Icannot do that easily for some strange reason, which I would like help in resolving.

Adrian

better ask the support of the said applications, why the won't playback your files correctly...

you could just install DVBViewer on all your computers. If they are really your own ones and you don't give away your password for the memberssection, that is ok. ;)

better ask the support of the said applications, why the won't playback your files correctly...

you could just install DVBViewer on all your computers. If they are really your own ones and you don't give away your password for the memberssection, that is ok. ;)

Thank you for your reply...

Not that it really solves the problem, though Iam not sure where the probelem lays.

Back in the old days of VHS, I could record it on one videopalyer, eject the tape and play on another VHS player. If this was not possible, the itles would have been delcared not fit for purpose under relevant British laws and a refund would be appropaite!!

But with this digtal age, it seems so much more problematic. You record soemthing on a Pc using either MCE for example. In days of old, if a friend asked for a copy of the recording youwould lend them the tape of said recording.

In this day and age, it is never as clear cut. If I was to record in DVBViewer or MCE for example, you cannot guareentee that yor friend will have the right software/hardware to play back the file. Even changing the audio decoders can remove/incur additiaonl problems.

I guess I should be content with that Ican play abck the recording in my legitiamte copy of DVBViewer. However, as I am using PowerDVD's h264 decoder, Iwould have assumed that PowerDVD would play it back. It will do so if I record in stereo rather than AC3.

I am guessing that I am simply not got the settings correctly configured.

Any help would be appreciated

Adrian

Thank you for your reply...

Not that it really solves the problem, though I am not sure where the problem lays.

Back in the old days of VHS, I could record it on one video player, eject the tape and play on another VHS player. If this was not possible, the items would have been declared not fit for purpose under relevant British laws and a refund would be appropriate!!

But with this digital age, it seems so much more problematic. You record something on a Pc using either MCE for example. In days of old, if a friend asked for a copy of the recording you would lend them the tape of said recording.

In this day and age, it is never as clear cut. If I was to record in DVBViewer or MCE for example, you cannot guarantee that your friend will have the right software/hardware to play back the file. Even changing the audio decoders can remove/incur additional problems.

I guess I should be content with that I can play back the recording in my legitimate copy of DVBViewer. However, as I am using Power DVD’s h264 decoder, I would have assumed that Power DVD would play it back. It will do so if I record in stereo rather than AC3.

Whilst DVBViewer software is good, it is true that codec’s and player applications make a difference. The picture quality of the Norah Jones concert recorded from BBC HD recently differs greatly from renderers, I would say that Power DVD is one of the better images whilst VLC (jerky) and medial player 11 {'foggy') are the worst.

I am guessing that I am simply not got the recording settings correctly configured.

Any help would be appreciated

Adrian

Edited by sapper

But if you recorded using LongPlay a recorder that didn't know about LongPlay, could not play it... if you had BetaDigital, no one with VHS could playback your recordings and you couldn't use theirs...

DVBViewer is as friendly as possible to other players. It just writes down what the broadcaster sends without any changes (at least if you record *.ts Files)! If a software is not able to play that material, it's not really the fault of DVBViewer. ;)

Ok BBC-HD seems to do some strange (or very new) things and there are some more people having problems with it.

HDTV is very new... you can't expect it to work out of the box everywhere, yet. ;)

I'm not sure how to solve your problem... maybe you should try some other players... VLC or zoomplayer, they are free and could be distributed easily. :D

But if you recorded using LongPlay a recorder that didn't know about LongPlay, could not play it... if you had BetaDigital, no one with VHS could playback your recordings and you couldn't use theirs...

DVBViewer is as friendly as possible to other players. It just writes down what the broadcaster sends without any changes (at least if you record *.ts Files)! If a software is not able to play that material, it's not really the fault of DVBViewer. ;)

Ok BBC-HD seems to do some strange (or very new) things and there are some more people having problems with it.

HDTV is very new... you can't expect it to work out of the box everywhere, yet. ;)

I'm not sure how to solve your problem... maybe you should try some other players... VLC or zoomplayer, they are free and could be distributed easily. :D

Thank you Moses, I do see yoru point about longplay...

I am feeling slightly frustrated at the moment as I have spent a large amount of money and effort in having a HTPC My HTPC specsthat is simple and wife freindly. To this end, I was hoping to ahve as few play-back software packages as possible.

As such I was hoping windws MCE for music, freeview TV and DVDs, and Power DVD for HD sources, be it blue ray, HD-DVD or HD TV.

The DVBViewer is a good packeage over all, and I am still learning about it, and I suspect it is a simple issue to resolve, but what.

I will contine working on the issue and will get back to you if I find away.

Sorry I upset the team by suggesting illeagal activities, my mistake and I apologise.

One other issue I have to fully resolve is absent recordings. Do I have to have DVBViewer running all the time, or is it possible (as in MCE) to programe the software via the EPG to record, and then to close the application, but leave the PC running. Running DVBViewer uses ~50 % of teh CPU which slows other applications down, and also requires the PC to work harder to keep it self (esp the CPU) cool.

Another issue is technology, it is moving forward rather fast. As soon as somethign is designed, produced and markted, it is out of date. At least with the HTPC route, it is easier to keep up to date with additiaonl codec etc as and when required.

Adrian

Edited by sapper
and then to close the application, but leave the PC running.

For this you need the DVB Task Scheduler (-> members area): It creates Windows tasks for scheduled recordings, when DVBViewer is closed, and re-launches it in time. The tasks will even wake your PC up from hibernate / standby for a recording.

Another option is to keep DVBViewer running, but switch playback off (View -> Close Graph, a kind of DVBViewer standby mode), even while a recording is going on. Recording works without playback and requires very little CPU load. If you tick the Disable AV checkbox for scheduled recordings, playback won't be reactivated when they start.

hm.. you could DVBViewer as player on your HTPC, that works quite good here.. but I think it has problems with Blue-Ray / HD-DVD (don't own the necesarry hardware to test that, yet).

You need to have DVBViewer running or use the task scheduler (see member section for download) to add tasks for you, so that windows will start DVBViewer automatically.

If you have DVBViewer running, but don't want to watch TV, you can select View->Stop graph and it should use only very little ressources. If you select "Disable AV" on all your times (you can make it default in options), then DVBViewer will never start playback on it's own and save you many system ressources ;)

If you just use the pc for recordings and not for playback you could also have a look at the recording service (in the beta part, but it's very stable).

hm.. you could DVBViewer as player on your HTPC, that works quite good here.. but I think it has problems with Blue-Ray / HD-DVD (don't own the necesarry hardware to test that, yet).

You need to have DVBViewer running or use the task scheduler (see member section for download) to add tasks for you, so that windows will start DVBViewer automatically.

If you have DVBViewer running, but don't want to watch TV, you can select View->Stop graph and it should use only very little ressources. If you select "Disable AV" on all your times (you can make it default in options), then DVBViewer will never start playback on it's own and save you many system ressources :)

If you just use the pc for recordings and not for playback you could also have a look at the recording service (in the beta part, but it's very stable).

I will look into this further, but as yousay by closing the graph the cpu usage falls to igsignificant.

Thank you

Adrian