DVBServer

thehawk

Good evening friends.

I've been reading about DVBViewer and DVBServer and would like to know if there's an English manual or guide about the purpose of DVBServer and how it works with DVBViewer as I see no sticky about it.

Thank you.

Edited by thehawk
Good evening friends.

I've been reading about DVBViewer and DVBServer and would like to know if there's an English manual or guide about the purpose of DVBServer and how it works with DVBViewer as I see no sticky about it.

Thank you.

The documentation is not up-to-date. Most of the developers energy has gone to the content and i can asure you: It's VERY good.

The priciple ideas behind dvbserver would be to be able to:

- seperate the location of your capture sources from the clients

- be able to have multiple client pc's use the same capture sources.

How it works (for me):

You configure DVBViewer on a server having the dvb card(s) and configure dvbserver to mimic the configuration in DVBViewer. Better to use a fixed IP address on the server. You should use 'unicast'.

If you have multiple cards using different satelites, you should use channelgroups to distinguish them, so for example group A has Astra1 and group B has Astra2.

Channelscan your configuration on the server.

If all works well, configure a client:

After installing DVBViewer on the client edit usermode.ini to have the number of unicast devices that corresponds to the number of dvbserver sources. So . in this example two unicast devices. Edit the properties of each unicast device and check the ip-addresses and port numbers. Scope each unicast device to a channelgroup and scan them just as if they were the original cards. You should check the same options as on the server. (Better to make sure the server is not streaming at the same time).

I hope this helps a bit. Dont hesitate to ask more specific info.

Regards, Eppo

Edited by pastimer

you can use DVBViewer as Client for a DVBServer on the same machine. That's no problem. But without other clients in a network, it doesn't make sense (yet).

So basically it is used to be used in a network environment I assume, not for a standalone machine, right?

You got it. :bye: I use it because i want my HTPC as quiet as possible (dvb cards use a lot of energy and require cooling) and to minimize the length of the antenne cables. Having the server close to the dish gives me a much better signal. The ability to view at other places in the network, i see it as a free bonus and only occasionally use it (if my wife and i cant agree on what we'd like to watch).

Of course you cán use dvbserver and DVBViewer on the same computer (use localhome; 127.0.0.1) but afaik it has no benefits.

Regards, Eppo

• 7 months later...
If you have multiple cards using different satelites, you should use channelgroups to distinguish them, so for example group A has Astra1 and group B has Astra2.

Hi,

I don't quite understand the channel group function here, perhaps someone can clarify?

I have a satellite tuner and a terrestrial tuner. At the moment, they are both set to use group A, with the channels allocated to two roots ("Satellite" and "Terrestrial"). Obviously, there is an overlap in the channels that are broadcast e.g. BBC1 but the problem is that the channel names are different between the two systems. Is there any way of getting DVBViewer to use firstly the satellite then if that is not available, terrestrial for channels that are on both, even if the channel names are different?

Secondly, I have a third tuner ready to install. it is an old Hauppauge Nova (Technotrend) with a Grundig tuner. The BDA driver requires the frequency offset to be specified in the transponder file, whcih I have done. Again, I had this on a third root ("Terrestrial 2"). if I was to rescan into group B of the "terrestrial" root, would that allow DVBV to use the 3rd tuner when the other terrestrial is occupied? Would I have to add a third unicast device to DVBServer, or would the existing one cope?

Sorry for the heavy-going questions but I've reached a brick-wall in my understanding of how DVBV works, and really need some more info in order to use it fully.

Thanks!

Arnold.

• 1 year later...
I hope this helps a bit. Dont hesitate to ask more specific info.

Regards, Eppo

Hi Eppo,

I got a specific question for you, Is it possible to have a server and two or more clients watching different channels at the same time? If so, please assist in configuring the server and the clients.

I already tried this with both multicast and unicast, and what I get is this:

The first client to connect to the server is like the 'master', next one is the 'slave': means the 'master' is the one to choose the channel to be watched, and the 'slave' could switch between channels but the only channel working for him is the channel watched by the 'master'.

Please give any advice possible.

Thanks

wiss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Recording Service is a powerful evolution/convergence of DVBServer and other tools, where the DVBServer part were only to act as stream server for DVBViewer LAN clients...

From the wiki page:

The DVBViewer Recording Service is a native Windows service. It executes programmed timers with a very low system load in the background. It can start the machine from Hibernate / Standby for recordings and works even if no user is logged on to Windows.

It is based the DVBViewer Technology, all DVB devices working in the DVBViewer, do work with the service (Exception: Unicast/Multicast Network devices).

It has a Webinterface to program timers (via EPG), manage recordings, search in the EPG or scroll through the EPG. Either from your local network or via internet.

It is able with the webinterface to stream LiveTV and recordings into the LAN or Internet, either unchanged or transcoded (with the help of VLC 0.8.6i). This streams can be played with VLC, MPC or WMP.

It contains a UPnP AV Server which can stream LiveTV or recordings to UPnP devices or programs (xbmc).

It can be a DVBServer for the DVBViewer Pro. The DVBViewer can show the EPG, manage the Timers and the recordings of the Recording Service and add new timers.

The wiki doesn't mention - but can be very interesting for someone - that the Recording Service Webinterface also include a (web)mobile interface...

You can read more about it following the link above...

:rotfl:

Edited by Gioxy
  • 5 months later...

Hi All,

I would appreciate some help, the wiki and other threads are a bit fragmented...

I have a PC with a Hauppauge S2 card.

I have set up DVBViewer and DVBserver (unicast) to work on the local machine, and I can also watch live TV on a laptop using DVBViewer (but not at the same time).

Would Multicast allow me to watch a single channel on two clients simultaneously? (but would I lose the ability to change channels etc?)

Is it possible to use clients other than DVBViewer with DVBserver? If so, how do you set up a connection to the server on VLC or XBMC ?

For streaming to XBMC on an Xbox, do I need to enable Recording Service? If I use Recording Service so I need to disable/stop DVBserver, or do they work together?

thanks!

I can also watch live TV on a laptop using DVBViewer (but not at the same time)
I should be able to... please follow ALL the instructions reported in the Recording Service Installation Guide...

Would Multicast allow me to watch a single channel on two clients simultaneously? (but would I lose the ability to change channels etc?)
Yes, and you can watch on the two PC two different channels until both are from the same transponder...

For streaming to XBMC on an Xbox, do I need to enable Recording Service?
please ding on the forum how to...

If I use Recording Service so I need to disable/stop DVBserver, or do they work together?
Recording Server (RS) do already include the "old" DVBserver, hence you have to stop DVBServer... as a matter of fact RS is a DVBServer evolution as you can read in the very previous post...

;)

Fantastic! Thanks for your help.

What is the difference between "enable DVB Server" and "UPNP AV Server" ?

I have installed RS and set up as instructed and can view TV using DVBViewer locally.

When I go to UPNP devices on XBMC (on an xbox)I can see the PC, but it just lists the shared folders - I can't see how to stream live TV. Any tips?

Thanks!

can't seem to edit... sorry.

OK

I got it working - had to open the firewall to RS :(

I can now watch live tv on xbox. Depending on what channel I go into... sometimes it won't let me stop one channel and go into another.

If I get the composite cable and set the xbox to 720p can I watch HD live?

How do I get multiple clients running simultaneously?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...