R/L polarization ?

smv1210

R/L or H/V does not depend on the application but what the plumber has installed outside at your dish ;)

Switching the polarisation is normally done by voltage. It is the lnb or the feed that is built to receive either circular or linear polarisation.

R/L or H/V does not depend on the application but what the plumber has installed outside at your dish :original:

Switching the polarisation is normally done by voltage. It is the lnb or the feed that is built to receive either circular or linear polarisation.

Well, it seems that I have delivered my question in a wrong way (English is not my native language) ;)

The general assumptions are as following:

- I have proper, "circular" converter installed at my dish.

- the dish is pointed to "Eutelsat W4" satellite and tested with Samsung DVB-S digibox and with my computer's DVB-S2 (Twinhan AD-SP400) PCI card together with its native "Digital TV" SW - all; H/V/R/L channel are OK.

But it is not OK with DVBViever - I can not get all available TV channels there.

So, what could be the challenge?

Wrong (or not updated) DVBV's channel list for certain satellite, or limited DVBV's "polarization" functionality?

..or limited DVBV's "polarization" functionality?

..probably more the user's limited technical background ;)

There is only voltage and 22khz that can be controlled. Try transedit with a complete and up-to-date transponder.ini (0360.ini)

..probably more the user's limited technical background ;)

Have You noticed in which sub-forum I am placing my posts? :original:

Any way, thanks a lot for your suggestion - I'll try it.

(if I only figure out "how to" do it - where can I read about this INI file structure?)

Edited by smv1210

ok, now I see your problem (hopefully :original: )

When I tried to generate a transponder.ini from 36E, the circular polarized transponders were not copied (by fmeditor). I can't receive these transponders to check the settings.

Try to add the circular transponders from Lyngsat into Transedit. As you already noticed, there is no L/R but only H/V. By try&error you'll find out whether L corresponds to H or the other way round ;)

As you already noticed, there is no L/R but only H/V. By try&error you'll find out whether L corresponds to H or the other way round ;)

Sorry, but I do not see any logic there.

As You mentinoed above (or, in fact, as I uderstood that :original:), the HardWare (DVB-S card) gives polarization command to the convertor by changing voltage level on inner conductor of the coaxial cable.

The same time, it is not HW itself, but SoftWare (DVBViewer in our case) has to translate "V" and "H" (or R and L) characters from transponder.ini file (28=12173,H,2532,34) to proper HW command.

So, two different letters can refer to two different voltage levels, but not to four ones.

Does mean, somehow, SW, rather then "user tech. background" limitation? Please comment...

So, two different letters can refer to two different voltage levels, but not to four ones.

4 letters=2 voltages ;)

..there is no no distinction possible between linear and circular. Only 2 different voltages are available and that has nothing to do with the DVBViewer but with the hardware.

4 letters=2 voltages ;)

..there is no no distinction possible between linear and circular. Only 2 different voltages are available and that has nothing to do with the DVBViewer but with the hardware.

Can You refer me to the tech. specs, please?

here you are :)

Ehh... That's a nice sample of typical "G"(or "D")- attitude… Thanks you, "expert", again ...

Well, for other Newbie's who might be interested in the subject:

It looks like, from practical/ tech. implementation point of view, that "circular" polarization means… having no polarization at all :bye:.

Cause most of "circular" converters in the market are… just ordinary H/V pol. converters with imbedded de-polarizator, needed for avoiding 3dB signal losses.

That, theoretically, means - it does not matter what to use in transponder's parameter ; "H" or "V" - there should not be any difference in this case.

talking about attitude.. ..I told you to add the circular transponders into the ini and to play with the polarisation in TransEdit. But instead you've asked for specs but you didn't mention the hardware in use.

If you have a depolarizer (e.g. dielectric plate inside the feed horn) you'll see a difference for R/L according to the voltage. But the linear transponders would suffer. Without depolarizer it doesn't matter whether the control voltage is set to 13V or 18V. You will only get half of the signal (-3dB).

To have equally good performance for linear as well as for circular polarized waves you need more hardware at your dish ( e.g. a magnetic or mechanical polarizer). But such a device can not be controlled by the DVBViewer or any other DVB-application. For optimal reception you could use an old analog positioner with an output for a polarizer.

When entering polarity info for a circular LNB, just remember "RV"

Right equals Vertical

Left equals Horizontal

That might be true for many lnbs but it depends on how the dielectric plate is arranged inside the feed horn. The orientation could be either under 45 degrees to the left or to the right. By try&error it only takes 2 steps to find out. That's what I already said in the beginning.. :bye:

I have updated file 0361.ini (Eutelsat Sesat, W4 ) with new transponders. But... when I run setup wizard it seems to apply to old file information.

Also, I tryed to create new, 0361RV.ini file (2=Eutelsat Sesat, W4RV) but the wizard does not see it at all - so, what could be the problem?

Update-------------------------

Have solved it myself in:

C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\Transponders

Edited by smv1210