Audio Recorder

Griga

I've just uploaded the new version of the Audio Recorder Plugin to the members area - for everybody who wants to test it right now.

It may be used with DVBViewer release 1.99 R6/R7, though there are some issues, which (hopefully) will be fixed in the coming 1.99 R8:

- Don't use the "Stay Connected to Audio Stream" option with the SkyStar 4.2 source filter - any Rebuild Graph action may last up to 30 seconds. With Marfi's source filter it should be no problem.

- Timer recordings with the plugin and automatically using the channelname as filename will not yet work.

- Don't terminate the DVBViewer, while an audio recording is still going on - DVBViewer will crash.

For MP3 recording you need an additional file, because in some countries it is not allowed to distribute MP3 encoding software without a licence due to patents held by Fraunhofer. Please follow the hints in the Readme (English/German Readme provided).

Further information about this project and its history can be read in this thread.

The plugin has been successfully tested on four different computers (thanks to Oliver and Klausing for taking the risk). Now let's see how it behaves on yours...

Enjoy!

Griga

I've just uploaded version 2.1 of the Audio Recorder Plugin...

There was a nasty bug in version 2.0 causing the DVBViewer to crash, when the DirectShow graph was stopped while the plugin was still recording - only in this case! It happened after switching over to another channel, switching DVBViewer to pause mode, terminating DVBViewer or performing a Rebuild Graph.

During the last days Christian and me spent some time haunting this bug, without avail... tonight I finally got it. It was hidden somewhere deep down in the Delphi compiler, and it's still there, but I found a workaround. If you are a Delphi programmer, avoid to use the TComboBox property 'ItemIndex' in case statements. Instead of

case MyComboBox.Itemindex of...

which may cause very subtle problems, rather use something like

var i: Integer;

{...........}

i := MyComboBox.ItemIndex;

{..........}

case i of....

BTW: The first steps towards an enhanced Audio Recorder are already done - it (hopefully) will provide Audio Timeshift - the ability to play back files while they are recorded, without any limits (especially without a 30 minutes limit :radscorpion: ).

See here:

Zwischenablage01.png

Hmmm, i can't find the tab Player with this fantastic slider. o:)

And in the "about window i see version 2.0 and not 2.1 :radscorpion:

Could it be, that you have after a long evening uploadet the wrong version or is this screenshot only to make us inquisitively to your next version?

Steffen

Hmmm, i can't find the tab Player with this fantastic slider

@Klausing: Sorry, the screenshot is from the coming version 3.0 (or 2.5, don't know :radscorpion:) which is still under heavy construction. I just fixed the bug described above and two or three minor bugs... and forgot to change the version number on the About Tab.... but the timeshift feature will take some time. Be sure to be engaged as beta-tester again before it is released.

Griga

• 2 weeks later...

Again a new Audio Recorder Plugin version :D - just uploaded to the customer area.

As already announced (see screenshot above), it now provides full timeshift capabilities. You can play back the audio file while it is recorded, jump to any position between the starting time and "now" (actually now minus 1.5 seconds) and listen to it.

Two important points:

- MP3 playback and MP3 recording require additional files that can be found in the web. Please follow the hints in the German or English Readme.

- For playback via the new Play Tabsheet it may be necessary to select a different audio output device in the DVBViewer options - please pay attention to the description of the Play Tabsheet in the Readme.

While I was programming the plugin I did a lot of mostly short recordings as tests (must have been more then 200 :blush: ) - all kinds of music and speech - and listened carefully to the results. And after all, I strongly recommend Ogg Vorbis - for me a 128 kbps Ogg Vorbis recording definitely sounds better than a 128 kbps MP3. And with 64 kbps the difference is even more significant. While low bit rate MP3 comes close to that ol' AM radio, Ogg Vorbis still provides a crisp and clear sound.

Well, that's my personal impression - but if you want a compressed format, and there is no special reason for recording audio as MP3, you should at least try Ogg Vorbis.

Enjoy!

Griga

Hi Griga !

I´ve tried out your new Plugin - but when recording I have some Problems....

1.) When Recording WAV I get after starting to play the file : Now Codec....

Winamp is already installed and runs with all other WAV.Files....

2.) When Recording MP3 (with all files named in the DOC !) I get a MP3-File with noise on one channel and sound on the other, but too slow

Any ideas ????

Thanks

Tüssken.......Detlef

PS: Please transfer this reply to the right place in the forum, I didn´t find any adequate one... 8=((

@Delaco: Please describe the problem more clearly.

1) What exactly happens after starting to play the recorded WAV-File? An error message? I guess it was "No Codec...", not "Now Codec...". How does the complete message look like? Attach a screenshot. And how does WinAmp get in? The Audio Recorder has nothing to do with WinAmp.

2)Is the noise in the recorded file, or does it only occur during playback with the Audio Recorder? You may try the other DLL-Version (as described in the Readme).

Griga

du musst dir für 15 ¤ die Vollversion kaufen und dann kannst du dich mit deinem REgistrierungsschlüssel in die MEmber Arena einloggen und dort kannst es runterladen :wacko:

du musst dir für 15 ¤ die Vollversion kaufen

Richtig - wobei das Passwort für das Service-Center jedoch eher Nebensache ist. Nur die Vollversion des DVBViewers verfügt über das erforderliche Interface, um mit komplexeren Plugins kommunizieren zu können.

Griga

• 2 months later...

Hallo,

da XTRA Music einige Kanäle zeitweise freigeschaltet hat,würde ich gern wissen wie man mit dem Audio-Recorder Plugin in MP3 Format aufnehmen kann

:blush: vielen Dank für einen Tip

addim

würde ich gern wissen wie man mit dem Audio-Recorder Plugin in MP3 Format aufnehmen kann

Indem man das MP3-Format anwählt. :blush: Allerdings sind dazu zusätzliche Dateien notwendig, die im Web zu finden sind... die ReadMe enthält alle dazu notwendigen Informationen.

Griga

..wobei man sagen sollte, dass für viele anwendungen eine wandlung nicht notwendig ist. Winamp spielt mp2 genauso gut wie mp3 und wenn man es auf eine cd brennt, erkennen das viele spieler auch.

• 3 months later...

I've just updated the Audio Recorder Plugin in the Service Center (now version 2.7).

- supports additional audio decoders (AC3 Filter, Ligos, Sonic, Nero).

If you use the AC3 Filter, it has to be configured for 16 bit PCM and 2/0 stereo output. Otherwise the Audio Recorder can't do its job. This also may apply to other audio decoders.

- better timer recording support - requires DVBViewer 2.0 R3 or later!

All actions, that can be performed after a timer recording (see DVBViewer's Record Settings Window, dropdown list at the lower left) now work with the Audio Recorder. Furthermore the shutdown options are now performed in a 'clean' way - before DVBViewer settings could get lost, when a plugin did a shutdown.

- saves the settings in an INI file

Forget about the old AudioRecorder.cfg. You don't need it any more. The AudioRecorder.ini file can be opened with any text editor and will facilitate support in future. However, you will have to re-adjust your settings, after having updated to version 2.7

- ReadMe updated and minor fixes

That's all - enjoy! :wacko:

Griga

P.S. Unfortunately an unexpected problem is raised by a new filter, that is included in the DVBViewer 2.0 R3 installation. Please read this.

P.P.S. Oops, there was another awkward litte bug :blush: I fear the the Audio Recorder Plugin created a Sleeptimer.ini. Two files got mixed up, and additionally remembering the last window position didn't work like it should. Fixed now... so those 18 people who already downloaded it please download again. Sorry for inconvenience...

Edited by Griga
  • 2 months later...

Another Audiorecorder-Update.... ;) in the Service Center (version 2.8).

Since radio timeshift doesn't work really well with the latest DVBViewer release 2.1 , I've added MP2 recording to the Audiorecorder, in order to provide a 'clean' solution for radio timeshift. Altogether the plugin now supports 4 recording formats: WAV, MP2, MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. All of them can be timeshifted.

Please note: MP2 playback requires an additional file, that can be found in the web (the same file as for MP3 playback). The ReadMe tells you what you have to do... :stupid:

The Audioreorder captures the MP2 data right from the transport stream of the SkyStar2 driver. Due to this method there are restrictions: MP2 recordings from video or DVD playback are not possible (MP3 works, however). Furthermore there are things that have to be considered, if you use the SkyStar 4.2 or Marfi's source filter - please read the ReadMe file.

Some smaller enhancements:

- Supports the free GPL audio decoder

- Mouse wheel volume control added.

- Better audio format detection.

It still depends on what the audio decoder in the filter graph delivers, however... some like the InterVideo are doing a good job, others may send no information at all, thus causing recording problems with unusual sample rates like 32 khz. As long as you record 'normal' audio with the most frequently used DVB audio sample rate of 48 khz, it should work anyway.

I hope you will capture some really good music with it ;)

Griga

Edited by Griga

Die Vorgängerversion des Audiorecorders 2.7 funktioniert bei allen drei Formaten einwandfrei. Die Aufnahmen mit der neuen Version werden bei den Formaten wav, mp3 und ogg mit doppelter Geschwindigkeit wiedergegeben, was bei mp2 nicht der Fall ist. Ich habe sonst keinerlei Änderungen beim DVBViewer vorgenommen.

Nikki

Edited by Nikki

In case of problems with playback speed I need the following information:

Which audio decoder is in use?

Which channel has been recorded? Which sample rate (see DVBViewer's status bar)?

Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder und Aufnahme von Mood Media (96Kbps / 32 Khz)

Bei Kanälen, die mit sample rates von 48 KHz senden, gibt es keine Probleme.

Mit der Version 2.7 funktionieren auch Aufnahmen bei Sendern mit sample rates von 32 KHz. Es wäre schön, wenn das mit der neuen Version auch wieder gehen würde.

Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder

Yes, Mood Media is a difficult thing. The Audio Recorder depends on the audio format that is reported by the audio decoder. Unfortunately some of them just don't ;) so the recorder has to assume that it is 48 khz sample rate, which lets playback sound too fast, if it's only 32 khz.

Do you have the InterVideo or Sonic Cinemaster audio decoder? Both do their job reliably.

I've changed the audio format detection a bit, since the old method failed in other cases. However, especially with Marfi's Filter it seems to work better than the new one.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with the plugin. I just installed windows and the problem appeared. I have used it before in good conditions. Now here is the problem: when I try to record for let's say 3-4mins in 1h the plugin begins to force the cpu verry much that the sound becames unstable. On the recorderd sound sometimes the unstabilities are not recorded but unfortunatly they sometimes are.

Can someone please help me.

I have a PIV 2.4 HT, SS2 card, 1GB RAM, Audigy 2, 10k rot HDD, windows xp, direct x 9, DVBViewer 2.1, Audio Recorder 2.8

Please attach the file AudioRecorder.ini. It contains the Audio Recorder settings. If you've changed something since the problems occured, tell me what it was...

you can attach files simply by the file attachements option directly to the board.

Steffen

3-4mins in 1h the plugin begins to force the cpu verry much

As I can see from the INI, you use the highest MP3 quality level (3). It requires a whole lot of CPU power. Usually is not recommended for real-time encoding - I only included it for people with a 3 GHz PC :). Try wether selecting quality level 2 solves the problem. It gives satisfying results without charging the CPU so much.

Furthermore, using another Lame Encoder version than 3.92 might cause problems. I've only tested the Audio Recorder with 3.92. If there are any changes concerning the interface, the Audio Recorder won't work properly. Probably they've enhanced quality level 3 in a way that it needs even more CPU power... I don't know. Or there is a bug in the new Lame Encoder version...

So I'd recommend to use the 3.92 (the ReadMe provides a download link).

Well. Lame 3.92 does the trick for me. I am using it with max level of quality, like I had used it before I reinstalled windows (for months) without any problems. Thanks a lot Griga you helped me a lot!

Klausing: I know, thanks. I just wanted to show you my site :)

Thanks a lot for such great thing you do!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed windows and all and when I try to use the recorder I get the following error: "Cannot find audio decoder" . I copyed lame_enc.dll and MpgLib.DLL to G:\Program Files\DVBViewer .

Thanks

I've updated the Audio Recorder Plugin in the Service Center to version 2.9, since the 2.8 wasn't able to detect the coming DVBViewer Filter 2.0 (affecting MP2 recording) More about this topic here.

Other changes (nothing exciting):

- The plugin is able to connect to some more audio decoders (DScaler, ffdshow, NVidia 3.0...)

- Slightly enhanced audio format detection (for recording sources with strange sample rates).

- Updated Readme (links changed, see above)

• 2 months later...

"I just installed windows and all and when I try to use the recorder I get the following error: "Cannot find audio decoder" . I copyed lame_enc.dll and MpgLib.DLL to G:\Program Files\DVBViewer . "

well, the problem is hapening again, and I was stoned when I make it work last time. now the thing is hapening again and I read the readme a milion times. I copied lame_enc.dll and MpgLib.DLL and all other dll's.

Please try to help me if you know what I am doing wrong insted is making fool of me. I really need help I am not the kind that puts questions just to put them, but this time I have done everything.

Thanks and I appreciate your time

"Cannot find audio decoder"

You are using an audio decoder that is not known to the plugin, so it can't connect to it.

Go to the DVBViewer options, select another audio decoder and try again.

If you want to help to make the plugin better, try to find out it's name and CLSID by using the RadLight Filter Manager. Select the decoder in the DirectShow section of the tree view, click "Copy CLSID" and paste it here.

Please try to help me if you know what I am doing wrong insted is making fool of me.

Who is making a fool out of you? There is only one person who is really able to do it.

You.

{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}

it's a file called quartz.dll

I have installed

Nero Digital Audio Decoder

MPEG Audio Decoder

in DVBViewer. it's doing the same with both

"Posted: Oct 16 2004, 07:58 PM

read the README ! "

I read it before I asked....

Also: win2003, pIII 800, ver 4.3.0.9, win2k3 default ati drivers, latest DVBViewer,

Edited by hashwood

Hmm, that's strange. The MPEG Audio Decoder (it's from Microsoft) is known to the plugin.

But is has a different CLSID here:

{4A2286E0-7BEF-11CE-9BD9-0000E202599C}

It *should* have the same CLSID everywhere. So I don't know... I'll check it later. Maybe Google knows something about it.

What you can do now: Download and installl the Elecard Decoder Package. It contains the Moonlight Odio Dekoda, a good audio decoder that should do the trick...

Here's a list of all audio decoders that are currently supported. However, not all of them are MPEG decoders.

('{4A2286E0-7BEF-11CE-9BD9-0000E202599C}',  {MPEG Audio}
  '{E32C3B01-C81B-4D01-8AD4-2B93F7FA544C}',  {Moonlight Odio}
  '{7E2E0DC1-31FD-11D2-9C21-00104B3801F6}',  {Intervideo}
  '{212DC700-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}',  {NVIDIA}
  '{9BC1B780-85E3-11D2-98D0-0080C84E9C39}',  {CyberLink}
  '{145BC782-FC0C-11CF-BE4B-00AA003F29A1}',  {DVD Express}
  '{2BE4D130-6F2E-4B3A-B0BD-E880917238DC}',  {MainConcept}
  '{02391F44-2767-4E6A-A484-9B47B506F3A4}',  {Ogg Vorbis}
  '{38BE3000-DBF4-11D0-860E-00A024CFEF6D}',  {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}
  '{D51BD5A1-7548-11CF-A520-0080C77EF58A}',  {Wave Parser}
  '{A753A1EC-973E-4718-AF8E-A3F554D45C44}',  {AC3 Filter}
  '{451AD9C2-4CEB-4C5A-BC90-463E4F3C1E0C}',  {Ligos}
  '{321D3CFB-E80A-49B3-8306-819DDB94EEE5}',  {Nero}
  '{9F062738-CD84-4F54-A3C4-BD5EB44F416B}',  {Sonic}
  '{3D446B6F-71DE-4437-BE15-8CE47174340F}',  {GPL Decoder}
  '{6C0BDF86-C36A-4D83-8BDB-312D2EAF409E}',  {NVidia neu}
  '{0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}',  {ffdshow}
  '{D2CA75C2-05A1-4915-88A8-D433F876D186}'); {DScaler}

{6A08CF80-0E18-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}

it's a file called quartz.dll

OK, found: It's the CLSID of the ACM wrapper filter (not MPEG Audio Decoder!), which is supposed to wrap Non-DirectShow-Codecs in a way that they can be used in a DirectShow filter graph.

Seems to wrap some decoder for MP2/MP3 playback in your system - unusual. However, I'll include the CLSID in the plugin's internal list. Will be uploaded soon.

P.S. Has been uploaded.

Edited by Griga
  • 2 months later...

Audiorecorder Plugin 3.0 is available in the Service Center:

- (Hopefully) no more problems with unknown audio decoders resp. their CLSIDs (see above), since version 3.0 uses a more flexible decoder detection method.

- Some enhancements in the user interface, like additional navigation buttons on the Play Tab (for jumping ten seconds / one minute back and fore), a more convenient way to select the output directory and to enter a filename, and more... please refer to the updated Readme.

- Adjustments for using the plugin with DVBViewer Pro 3.1 / DVBViewer GE. Both can determine now wether the Audiorecorder Plugin is recording or not and handle situations accordingly. However, there are still things left to do on the DVBViewer's side. When closing it, no warning is displayed yet, if the Audiorecorder Plugin is recording. Will probably be fixed in the next releases.

Please note: Though DVBViewer 3.x / DVBViewer GE in general allow recording without playback of what is recorded, this does not apply to the Audiorecorder Plugin, since it grabs the decoded audio data from the filter graph. With other words: It can only record what is played. This has to be considered in some situations. E.g. starting timeshift playback or searching in a file while it is played by the DVBViewer will affect an ongoing Audiorecorder Plugin accordingly.

- Reorganized audio format detection.

The Audiorecorder Plugin needs to know the format of the input data. As long as it comes as the usual 48 khz samplerate stereo, everything is fine. However, a mono stream can already be sufficient to cause trouble (depending on the audio decoder), and even more an audio stream with a different samplerate like 32 khz. In both cases the recording will be played with the wrong speed and probably sound like Mickey Mouse. ;)

With DVBViewer GE this is easy to solve (as far as it concerns TV/radio and TS/MPG playback): Simply tick the "Automatic Format Detection/ Audio" checkbox under Options/ DirectShow.

DVBViewer Pro 3.x provides a similar option, but unfortunately it doesn't work due to a bug. That's why the plugin provides a work-around. After having used it for the first time, you'll find the following line in the file Audiorecorder.ini:

DetectAudioFormat=0

By using a text editor, you may change the value to 1 to fix the issue. However, it should only be done if necessary, and must be removed before installing a (most likely) "debugged" DVBViewer Pro 3.2, since handling things like this from outside is always a bit doubtful...

OK, that's all. Enjoy your music, or whatever you may record... :)

• 3 months later...

Audiorecorder Plugin 3.1 is available in the Service Center.

No new features, but enhancements for future projects, and two fixes:

- Fix: Some people encountered the error message "Cannot find Sample Dumper", due to an unregistered DirectShow filter. Now the plugin tries to register the file DVBViewer\Filters\RLDumper.ax in this case, so you shouldn't be molested by the message anymore.

- Fix: When there was a taskbar at the top of the desktop, the Audiorecorder Plugin window moved a bit each time the DVBViewer was launched, and eventually got out of scope.

- Added: Support for running the host application in different (especially restricted) user accounts with different settings. This feature will be introduced with DVBViewer GE 1.5. More about it after all components/plug-ins have been updated accordingly

- Added: Possibility for programmers to remote-control the most important Audiorecorder Plugin functions (like start/stop recording) and to get status information by using the FindWindow and SendMessage API calls.

A rough documentation in the form of Delphi code is available here.

• 1 month later...

Now that some ARD Radio Stations are sending Radiotext would it be possible to implement this to the Audiorecorder Plugin? So that the recorded file name would be interpret_-_title.mp3/wav/ogg instead of SWR3_Sep-07_14-50-52.mp3/wav/ogg?