Subtitle file (.srt) problem

mitsu

When playing a recording which has DVB-subtitle stream AND there is a .srt file with the same name in the same folder no subtitles are shown. Neither the .srt subtitles nor the DVB subtitles.

If I rename the .srt to something else DVB subtitles are shown normally.

If the recording does not contain DVB subtitles .srt subtitles are shown normally.

This is happening with the 3.8.0.0 and the latest beta.

My system:

- Asus P5B-VM with Intel 965G and C2D E6420

- TT S2-3200 with Conax CAM

- Nvidia 8500GT with latest drivers

My recordings are Canal digital HDTV (H.264 AVC 1080i) containing 4 DVB subtitle streams.

support.zip

I would like to have this fixed because Canal digital DVB subtititles are so ugly that I want to convert them.

Anybody else having a problem with this?
I can confirm that there is something strange. I tried this with YLE subtitles. I get DVB subs but something has happend to timing of subs, they show only for a very short time. If I rename *.srt file then the timing of DVBsubs is normal again.

This problem is also in the 3.9.0.0.

Would be really nice to get this fixed. Though subtitles can be shown with DVBV if the DVBSource is not used. But the H264 recordings seem to be difficult with all other demuxer filters and players. For instance subtitle timings are impossible to get fixed. Timings change when jumping to different position in the recording.

Also remuxing the H264 so that the DVB subtitle streams are stripped away seem to be challenging. I have found only one almost working way from doom9 forum (mencoder -> avc2avi -> virtualdubmod) which is pratically unusable.

Please fix this.

• 6 months later...

Still not working :)

When a .ts file has DVB subtitles and a .srt file is in the same directory no subtitles

are working.

Please enable .srt subtitles also when the recording has DVB subtitles.

There is no other working solution available playing H.264 1080i recordings with subtitles

than DVBViewer. Other players give jerky picture. So we are fully dependent on you guys.

Please indicate at least whether this would be possible with reasonable work amount.

sorry this will just not work. just remove either the srt or the dvb subtitles.

How do you remove DVD subtitles from a H.264 .ts file?

I really would like to do that so that the resulting file will play with DVDViewer.

How do you remove DVD subtitles from a H.264 .ts file?

..you could filter the file with pj.x but why would you do that? I wonder where does the srt file come from. I never have it in a ts_recording :)

..you could filter the file with pj.x but why would you do that? I wonder where does the srt file come from. I never have it in a ts_recording :)

Are you saying that ProjectX can demux/remux H.264?

I cannot make that happen. It doesn't understand H.264 and remuxing is not working.

Demux DVB subtitle streams does work, however.

Well, seems that you do not have much experience of subtitles.

I have a personal problem with Canal Digital HD channel subtitles. They are big and ugly and ruin

the whole movie experience. I need to be able to adjust font and size of the subtitles.

What I do is rip the subtitles out of the DVB subtititle stream and convert the stream into .srt

file using a set of quite tricky tools.

Now the problem is that I cannot get acceptable picture with subtitles using any other viewer

than DVBViewer.

Are you saying that ProjectX can demux/remux H.264?

I did not mention remux but you can use pid_filtering to get rid of unwanted (elementary) streams.

I did not mention remux but you can use pid_filtering to get rid of unwanted (elementary) streams.

Of course, stupid me.

Thank you, this solved the problem. Need to one extra phase and some more disk space, though.