DVBViewer EVR support in VISTA

Franky692

Since I'm trying DVBViewer in Vista with 1080i h.264 material I see a big improvement in PQ and particularly in smooth, using EVR of DVBViewerGE not available in DVBViewer 3.8.

Do you plan to insert EVR support in 3.9 or 4.0 coming releases?

Thanks

No. Use the forum search.

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

No. Use the forum search.

Did you refer at this thread?

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...60&start=60

If yes it's of Jul 15 2007, some months ago... I hope in new development about the subject...

I'm really impressed about the enhancements we can get with h.264 material and EVR...

For that reason I hope DVBViewer will have it in future.

Thanks

Edited by Franky692

just switch to XP and you get exactly the same enhancements in vrm/overlay... there is nothing special about EVR, just that MS tries to forces applications to use it in vista.

just switch to XP and you get exactly the same enhancements in vrm/overlay... there is nothing special about EVR, just that MS tries to forces applications to use it in vista.

..luckily I still have XP but this advice can't be possibly taken seriously. New PCs are shipped with Vista and not with XP.

..luckily I still have XP but this advice can't be possibly taken seriously. New PCs are shipped with Vista and not with XP.

And I add that having a nVidia 8600 in HTPC make difference with Vista than XP...

A lot of people that has compared Overlay with evr with h.264 material tell that evr render quite better (and me too).

VMR + XP + DVBViewer + nVidia 6-7 series = stutter probably :P

Edited by Franky692
A lot of people that has compared Overlay with evr with h.264 material tell that evr render quite better (and me too).

Ah come on, if you say something like that you have to come up with more...

From my point of view, VMR support is not well realized within nVIDIA Vista drivers. It has some restrictions in terms of PostProcessing when DXVA is used (limited deinterlacing and scaling). Overlay and EVR show perfect picture quality with DXVA.

Under XP, picture quality with VMR and DXVA is optimal.

However there are some advantages of EVR except for DXVA 2.0. It for example does not tend as much to tearing and jittering as VMR does. But these things can hardly be spotted, especially with DXVA turned on.

Edited by CiNcH
Ah come on, if you say something like that you have to come up with more...

I have a DualBoot system on my HTPC (Vista/XP) so I can easily compare Premiere HD (for example) in DVBViewer on XP with Cyberlink h.264 7.3 codecs in overlay and same channel in MediaPortal with same decoder but with EVR (not yet completely stable) enabled (now im trying with a nVidia 7950). Two good results indeed, but with football specially, with fast transitions of the ball or fast pannings, EVR has more precision and less "ghost" effect on the players and the ball.

I'm using Forceware 94.20 in XP and 163.71 in Vista.

Probably in next weeks I will switch my 7950 with a 8600 (that i'm testing on another PC) and as you know dx9 now are replaced with dx10 and it should be another advantage for vista+EVR

I can had that for SD TV VMR9 in vista is working better than in XP and better than EVR. And from my first impresion in VISTA+8600+DVBViewer+VMR9 the stuttering problem should be fixed.

Unfortunately the other people that are comparing VISTA with XP and EVR with Overlay/VMR9 are in some italian forums so the link can't be so useful but trust me, these situation exists.

We are always looking for the best result we can get from our HTPC so in every case more options and possibilities are always welcome, EVR is an opportunity we should have, with the stability and other good features of DVBViewer (in my opinion)... :P

Cheers

Edited by Franky692
sure it can. You can still buy XP in many stores. :wacko:

..yep, maybe that's what m$ wants, to pay twice thanks to your advice. :P It would be cheaper if an application written for this os would comply with the latest edition :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
From my point of view, VMR support is not well realized within nVIDIA Vista drivers. It has some restrictions in terms of PostProcessing when DXVA is used (limited deinterlacing and scaling). Overlay and EVR show perfect picture quality with DXVA.

What about Ati 2*** series and its driver; Vista +VMR is OK with them on Pro?

Always it is told it is a Nvidia bug.

Can somebody tell me whether it is an OSD issue or nVidia FW issue?

Edited by ricabullah

ATi X2000 series at least has the same quarter picture VMR bug when DXVA is enabled. It's known as the nVIDIA bug because they have been suffering from that bug for quite some time now. ATI X2000 series is quite new so there have not been that many complaints yet :bye: .

Edited by CiNcH

OK!

I gonna put an Ati 2600 and if i see the same quarter screen i will start suffering from Ati bug, not nVidia this time :bye:

What is interesting; with VMR even under Vista, nobody is suffering from nVidia or Ati driver bugs :D

Edited by ricabullah
??? Of course. Same bug under Vista...

So we could say same bug drops to Pro but not to GE under Vista or XP :bye:

(One word has missed: it was GE; sorry)

Edited by ricabullah

VMR and two input pins simply is a no-go currently, neither with current nVIDIA nor with current ATi based graphics cards. Both do not work properly in DXVA mode, no matter which OS you use.

GE of course is a different story as it renders the OSD differently.

D3D engine should not be too far off however. It has already been integrated into FireDTVViewer application which is based on the DVBViewer.

..or more later than sooner ?? :bye:

I think this is the %100 translation of my thought!

Users don't expect fantastic things or advanture; just reality is more than enough; like GE.

Thx to Griga by the way!

Edited by ricabullah