Encoding while recording

duja

Hi,

Would it be possible to send the recordstream through a xvid filter and then save the encoded stream to a file?

So as a simple question, would it be possible to add encoding while recording?

/ Duja

Simple response, why?

EDIT:

I found out that it exist a plugin named Videorecorder, wouldn't it be possible to integrate a encoding process in the plugin?

The reason why I want to encode my records is to save some diskspace on my harddrive. I have a fast pc but not so much diskspace.

/ Duja

Edited by duja

There are some controversy about this in the German Feature Requests part from this board.

If i remember right the result was that:

Good quality encoded is not real possible in live mode.

And no one from the developers beliefs that it is relay necessary or would like to build such a thing.

If you like you can build a Plugin which records as Xvid file. ;)

There are some controversy about this in the German Feature Requests part from this board.

If i remember right the result was that:

And no one from the developers beliefs that it is relay necessary or would like to build such a thing.

If you like you can build a Plugin which records as Xvid file. :)

But IF someone might build a plugin for XviD conversion, wouldn't it be possible for a Quad or a Dual-Core Extreme Edition to

encode while recording and output a Good Quality encoded xvid file?

/ Duja

you could use a 3rd party application like the vlc. DVBViewer -> streaming to vlc -> recode & store

I don't think that there will be ever plans to implement this in the DVBViewer. Btw. imho nobody needs such a funktion..

What Tjod and Derrick want to say is:

"Good quality" is of cause defined by the programmers of DVBViewer. What the user really needs or what is sufficant for his purposes is not relevant.

Every B-movie that is recorded with DVBViewer has to be in optimum quality, of cause. ;-)

And because nobody needs this feature there are (allmost) no products on the market that support online recoding. ;-)

Xvid videos encoded in single pass suck in quality... if you want to have good quality with single pass encoding, you need to spend that much bandwith to the video stream, that it's nearly as big as the normal mpeg2 movie, so there is absolutely no point in recoding. You can't do a two pass encoding, because you want to have real-time encoding... why? There is no reason :)

And there is no clever way to cut out advertisement and so on...

There are not so many reasons to reencode recordings to xvid anyway... the main reason is to have a good quality with much smaller filesize (which is only really possible with two-pass encoding), for archiving your recordings. But if you want to do that, you'd better go for "optimal" quality, because, if you don't, you will be unhappy later, if you re-watch your recordings. Believe me. ;)

I also would like to have such a feature! It sucks extremely to encode recorded files offline, which are 10 or 20 GB in length to get em on 1 DVD as Xvid or Divx!!

Regarding Recording-Quality: To record just only documentations etc. xvid ist good enough (also 1-pass). To record a really good movie (which is very rare in todays TV-Programs anyway!) it's ok to use mpeg on DVD.

Cheers!

I also would like to have such a feature!

Well start learning how to program. You read hopefully the posts above and realize the "I want too" is not sufficent to archive anything.

I agree with moses, this kind of feature is number one on my list of most useless und never needed features.

Thing simply is, that such encodes live from rate-control nowadays as Moses already pointed out. Means that they need the complete movie to form a strategy (2 passes required) on how to optimally distribute bits to finally get consistent and good quality throughout the whole movie.

2 passes would nowadays already be possible in realtime (of course depending on encoder and resolution), but as I said, rate-control needs a complete 1st-pass to form a strategy/bitrate-curve.

Quantizer-based recording is also suboptimal as you are not aware of how big the output will be. So you will most of the time either get very bad quality or very big file sizes...

My point is that you should simply learn more about transcoding before making such a request. Cool would IMHO only be the possibility to perform a 1st-pass during recording, so letting the encoder gather information it needs which can then be directly used in 2nd-pass, saving the time of one pass with optimal results...

Edited by CiNcH
Cool would IMHO only be the possibility to perform a 1st-pass during recording

You could start a encoding pass with the recordingstart script. The encoder just must be as slow as the recording and / or able to cope with a growing file.

@all

It's all there, why not start using your brain instead of hoping others do the dirty work for you.

Since you also only know few percent of what the DVBViewer is really capable of (at least that is what I read) others most likely even know less about it. They may even wonder what the f*** a script is... :bye:

Edited by CiNcH

And i dislike the idea to encode commercials in order to cut it afterwards in the reencoded video. The result is lousy and even if a simple realtime encoder can be easily done (Just try to do something like the following command script):

mencoder http://yourip:yourport -cache 1024 -o recording.flv -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -of lavf -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vmax_b_frames=0:vbitrate=500:turbo -aspect 16:9 -vf pp=flb,scale=544:576 -srate 44100 -lameopts mode=3:cbr=64:aq=1 -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames

we dislike to integrate this inside the DVBViewer.

If you really want to encode the live stream use mencoder or ffmpeg instead of nagging for such a feature. The usage of both tools is damn simple. Before asking where to find these tools try to use google, yahoo, msn (or whatever).

Christian

PS: I really started to like ffmpeg and i hopefully will be able to publish a small tool i made for my brand new ipod soon:

convert.png