purevideo HD - black screen on HD channels

satnerd

Hi

My hardware:

Intel Core 2 Duo, 6600 @ 2.4GHz

XFX GeForce 8600 GTS, 675M 256MB, 675/2000MHz

Hauppauge hvr-4000 dvb-s/s2 (and other tuners, but only these used)

Gfx card bios version : 60.84.18.00.84

Gfx card ForceWare version : 163.71

OS is Windows XP pro 32bits

DVBViewer is 3.9.0.0 with no plugins downloaded under install.

According to Nvidia, this driver should give me purevideo HD capabilities, ie lower cpu usage.

Before this driver update, cpu usage was at around 70-80% on HD channels

Instead the new driver give me a black screen in DVBViewer on the HD channels on Thor (1west).

I got picture on non-HD channels.

I can playback other h.264/x.264 content from files, but still no change in the use of cpu power.

So I guess that the purevideo HD capabilities is not working as it should at all.

My question:

How would you setup dvbviwer on this hardware to perform as best as possible?

In the menu options; settings/options/directx and, if needed, in the view/filters menu.

Which codec to install and how to configure it to work as best as possible in DVBViewer.

Are there any guides for this that I've missed?

Any help on this would be much appreciated

First of all make sure you spread the CPU load by two cores of your CPU.

Settings/Options/Extended/uncheck "Use only first CPU"

Codecs for Pro:

H264 decoder=Cyberlink h 264 decoder (coming with PowerDVD Ultra -version 3 and later)

Renderer: Overlay Mixer

Codecs for GE:

(this time you should first uncheck "Use only first CPU" under Setting/Options/General)

H264 decoder= same as selected for Pro

Renderer:VMR9 or VMR7

By the way; on Cyberlink H264 properties page "use DXVA" box must be checked and choose "video mode"= auto-select via "view"/ "filters"

Hope it helps.

Edited by ricabullah

Thank you for answering this so fast.

I've always used both cpu cores.

And the version of powerdvd is 4.7 (came with the hvr-4000 card).

I can't get a picture with overlay mixer, but can if I use VMR7 or VMR9...

I guess all the trouble is in the new nvidia driver?

If this is the best settings if the driver is working...

EDIT

Got sound on the HD channels, but the cpu load is at around 70% and still no picture.

And yes, the dxva is on and video mode is auto select.

Edited by satnerd

Believe or not, i've tried all of nVidia's FWs and 163.71 as well.

It works.

You will never get HA if you don't change your PowerDVD with the newest PowerDVD7 Ultra, believe me.

EDIT:

BTW, some guys say ffdshow video decoder works as well but i've never tried.

Edited by ricabullah

ah, thank you.

updated to powerdvd ultra 7.3.xxxx and got picture now.

cpu at around 33-38%

still, some trouble with lock on the HD channels, I'll say around 1-2 of 10 times I can get a picture without sound and picture is stuttering or what I should call it.

but at least it's working now. and down from around 70-80% to around 35% is a big deal.

Guess this must be caused in the hvr-4000 driver.

So again, thank you very much.

Will have a look into the ffdshow too, just to compare.

(edit: ffdshow did get the same cpu %, but there was picture error on SD and no picture in HD, but that doesn't worry me, I've got picutre using the other codec)

Edited by satnerd

satnerd,

yes, this CPU utilization is not normal with 163.71 WHQL, you should get %6 mean CPU usage on h264 1080i.

So update your hvr-4000 driver and give it a try with GE, VMR9 selected.

Thank you for your kind help here.

I updated my system with the hvr-4000 drivers from this link : http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/support/s...rt_new_mce.html

It's the cd-mce-3-1g from june 22, 2007.

Cleaning out the old ones and rebootet before and after the install.

Still the same cpu utilization, but now DVBViewer hangs more often while trying to watch the HD channels.

And yes, dxva is on and video mode is auto.

So I tested the GE version, but couldn't find the HD channels with that version.

I checked the dvb-s2 box.

I don't have any other HD channels, just 1west.

So, should I reintsall my system and see if that helps?

Or is there anything else I'm missing here?

You should use Transedit for scanning.

First make sure on settings/hardware of GE if the DVB-S2 device box is selected.

Then start to scan with Transedit (notice if DVB-S2 box is selected)

After scanning finished, export *.ini to Transponders folder of GE.

Open GE and ChannelList import window and import this ini. And click "save"

also check this:

how to import

Edited by ricabullah

I've got an .ini file from my last transedit scan (the .ini file I use with DVBViewer 3.9.0.0 now).

But when I import it (even when the only free to air box is not checked) there is no channels in the list...

I start DVBViewer GE.

And make sure the S2 is selected.

Then start transedit.

Open my .ini file and start to scan.

But, as long as DVBViewer GE is open, I can't scan.

And if I perform a complete scan while DVBViewer GE is not running, I can't export since it complains about DVBViewer GE not present.

How do I scan while DVBViewer GE is running?

Or what am I doing wrong (again) here?

I'm searching for "both" and the FTA box is not checked. And I know that the search is valid, only not while GE is running thus not able to export to it.

Another thing.

If GE is not able to use plugins, I'm not able to decode with my "cam" the channels anyway, so... I really need to get this working in the normal DVBViewer 3.9.0.0 version.

Another thing.

If GE is not able to use plugins, I'm not able to decode with my "cam" the channels anyway, so... I really need to get this working in the normal DVBViewer 3.9.0.0 version.

This is really another thing.

You can use GE while watching HDTV and Pro while watching PlugIns needed channels.

First of all, application (Pro or GE) must be switched off while scanning with Transedit. After finishing scan you will export ini to Transponders folder.

If you can not export from Transedit, go to TransEdit's settings/Hardware scan devices and make sure DVB-S2 device has been marked.

Restart PC and scan again. This time you will be able to export ini.

Edited by ricabullah

Wops, edit here...

I got the transedit working now, my mistake on the transedit install part. Sorry about that.

But let's drop that. I'll settle with the mid 30% cpu utilization I got.

Cause, to watch the HD channels I do need my plugins to work too. So that I'm able to read my subscription card from my card reader.

At least I'm doing this the legal way. But that also seems to be the hard way.

I wonder if the extra cpu utilization is caused by the s.. that reads my subscription card on my pc?

(by the way, if I remove the ffdecsa I still have the around mid 30% cpu usage)

Is there a preffered way to read our cards? What plugin to use if any better then the one I've got.

Thank you very much for your time and guides to make this work for me so far.

I'm not sure, since I got no picture in GE on the HD channels.

But cpu was at around 3% there while standing on a HD channel.

I guess I need access to my card to get the cpu bussy and not only stand on a channel requesting permission from my card...

So I won't know if the GE version is any better with HD or not :)

I see that it was a FTA channel, but does it have a ci module so that you can use the subscription card?

Or do you, like me, use a phoenix reader? I think this is what gives me the cpu overhead, don't you?

Can't see why, but that's all the difference right now as far as I can tell.

(I'm still using the hauppauge hvr-4000 card)

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "common interface" (CI) and the corresponding "common access module" (CAM) with a smart-card. This applies regardless wether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

But on the other hand, i don't believe cards has any effect on CPU usage since they are only tuners not hardware decoders.

I agree on that.

So that leavs me with either the complete install of my computer being messed up here...

Or the use of my plugins not being optimal for this.

(can't see it in the forum rules anymore - but in a post from 2005! that talking about this is prohibited...)