purevideo HD and vista 64 bit

pastimer

Hallo friends,

I now have vista home premium 64, nvidia gf-8500 (gigabyte, passiv) and powerdvd-ultra.

Earlier i tried Windows xp with newest forceware drivers and i got purevideoHD (10% cpu on astra HD).

But since i upgraded to vista home premium ... 60-70 % cpu so no purevideoHD.

How can i easely check what is wrong and find out why hw decoding is not enabled?

Anyone else with vista 64 and nvidea 8500 or 8600?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards, Eppo

No hardware acceleration without EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer). Use DVBViewer GE to get hardware acceleration. You should also install a recent version of PowerDVD Ultra.

Edited by CiNcH
No hardware acceleration without EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer). Use DVBViewer GE to get hardware acceleration. You should also install a recent version of PowerDVD Ultra.

I still do not understand why it did work with XP and not with Vista..

But anyway, if i install EVR , will it work with the Pro version if i build my own graph?

Thanks, Eppo

Renderer has to be supported by the application as the application provides a window for the renderer a.s.o. If you are lucky you will see the video in a seperate ActiveX window without OSD when building a graph with unsupported renderer. Exchanging a renderer is not as easy as exchanging a decoder.

Under Windows XP video acceleration also works with VMR or Overlay Renderer. Blame Microsoft for forcing EVR or the graphics cards manufacturers and decoder developers for not supporting the proprietary H.264 API's under Vista.

Edited by CiNcH
Renderer has to be supported by the application as the application provides a window for the renderer a.s.o. If you are lucky you will see the video in a seperate ActiveX window without OSD when building a graph with unsupported renderer. Exchanging a renderer is not as easy as exchanging a decoder.

Under Windows XP video acceleration also works with VMR or Overlay Renderer. Blame Microsoft for forcing EVR or the graphics cards manufacturers and decoder developers for not supporting the proprietary H.264 API's under Vista.

Thanks, there's a beginning of some form of understanding up here.

I guess i'm kind of fixed now because i am depended on the unicast device under DVBViewer or is that possible in GE?

Thanks, Eppo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, this topic interests me, I use the Vista Enhanced renderer (EVR) with DVBViewer and Vista 32bits, it's by far the the most stable compared to VMR7 or VMR9, it also gives great picture quality on a LCD screen (especially the blacks) My only problem is whilst watching a mpeg2 non HD channel I can't get the renderer to to keep the picture in Full screen (I have to adjust the picture every time I close/re-open the viewer) This is very annoying and the problem doesn't exist with HD channels such as luxe TV HD or BBC HD on Astra 2. If anybody else has this problem please tell me I've been searching the web for days without any answer.

I don't know if I expressed myself properly, the problem I have is, I get a black band all round the picture whilst I'm in full screen mode watching a mpeg2 non HD channel, I can correct this by going into the EVR settings and streching the screen but this setting is not saved and I have no access to the "apply" button in the settings window, (this stays grey and cannot be activated) if I then quit the viewer and come back in again, the settings have been lost and I have to stard all over again.

DVBViewer has some functionality for that, but sadly it's not working with EVR. Because EVR support is experemtially in DVBViewer, it's not clear when and if it will befixed.

I am using the EVR for some time now and i must say i'm very happy, it works perfectly to me!

I had some crashes earlier, but since i installed the latest nvidia drivers (169.25 i believe) i've had no more crashes.

The EVR delivers a superior picture at 50 fps and currently is the best rendere available i believe.

I am using the EVR for some time now and i must say i'm very happy, it works perfectly to me!

I had some crashes earlier, but since i installed the latest nvidia drivers (169.25 i believe) i've had no more crashes.

The EVR delivers a superior picture at 50 fps and currently is the best rendere available i believe.

I agree with you about the picture quality but can you get a full screen picture without the black bars??

As you can see on these screen copy's, I get a black bar all around the picture, When i go into the EVR settings I can stretch the picture, but this comes back to normal again when I change channel or restart the DVBViewer.

If anybody has a solution that would be great. Thanks

post-49356-1199310776_thumb.jpg

post-49356-1199310815_thumb.jpg