3.9.0.0 -> Preview mode: channel number access needed

Fabien44

I am very happy with the new feature PIP/Preview mode in the last version but i cannot use because the access via channel number (in pressing numpad) is disabled.

I have 28 channels and the only way to select a channel is to press down or up one by one, it's not convenient at all!

Please, re-establish the numpad functionnality in the preview mode as it exists in normal mode.

was never there. use the osd channellist.

In osd normal mode i can go directly to the channel in composing his number via my remote control.

How can i do in the preview mode now that numbers pad are used for other purposes (picture box sizing & location, ...)?

The osd channel does not provide me the direct access to channels or maybe i have missed something.

I don't know if you understood lars correctly (or if I misunderstood your post). There is an osd page that shows the channellist and allows you to select one. You know that? You can still use it while Preview is active.

I don't know if you understood lars correctly (or if I misunderstood your post). There is an osd page that shows the channellist and allows you to select one. You know that? You can still use it while Preview is active.

I think i have difficult to make me understand to you.

Let's recap:

The feature i want is the following: Use the preview mode and able to select one channel in the main window in composing his number through numpad.

As it exists:

In normal mode, i can select any channel via his number directly in composing it on the numpad

In preview mode, the numpad is set for another purposes (resizing & location of the picture box). To change channel i have only the ch+/ch- button but it's not convenient at all. It takes too much time to reach the wanted channel (i have 28)

I have just tested the channellist osd but there is no way to select a channel via number, only ch+/ch- works.

Do you now understand my request?

Thanks and sorry if i explain wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

it won't happen any time soon.

You could try to write some script or so and learn the number buttons of your remote to actions for that script. I think that's possible. And then just use them to switch channels and nothing else.

Hi Moses,

what kind of script, which is the direction i must think about?

The number pad is working to select channels in normal mode but is overload in the preview mode for another purposes.

Do you think a script is able to cancel this overloading?

Thanks

Fabien

Yes, it should. If I remember correctly there is a way to add new actions (have a lookt at the actions.ini) to DVBViewer and assing them to a script. I don't know how that works, never did it myself... if that works, you'll have to define 10 new actions and assing your number buttons of the FB to that new actions (not the old number in DVBViewer) and let your script build the channel number from your keypresses (for example it will need to wait some time for a next keypress to allows channelnumber >9 and so on, could be tricky!).

These actions won't be affected by DVBViewer and so they will still work, when preview is switched on and channel switching should work, too.

Draw backs: they will always change channels (or you have to build exceptions from that into your script!) so for example teletext isn't realy possible anymore. The nice display of the channel name when you type in number won't show up.. I think you could implement something similar into your script, but again that's more work. ;)

Try to have a look around the forum, especially in the scripting lounge. I think there were some people who did something similar in the past.

Hm. ok, seems like I had some false memories then... ;)

Wasn't there a way to let vbs scripts react on own actions? Can't find it anymore...

But with a COM application it works (just tested it), which has the drawback that you'd need to intercept the signals of your remote with your com application and then control DVBViewer with it... so you'll need to know how to access the ir-reciever and so on... seems to be too much work ;)

I use Girder to interface my remote and DVBViewer through key shortcuts association.

What i need is the events to select channels in preview mode. Numpads not work anymore.

So my question is:

how to select a specific channel in preview mode? (i don't deal with osd list channels or ch+/ch- keys, it does not cover my request of a quick access.)

I don't know how grider works, but you can use the COM Interface to set the channel directly. That still works, if preview is active (I tested it). I don't know if that's possible in girder.

Another way could be to simply run DVBViewer.exe again with command -cXX where XX is the new channel number. Maybe that could be integrated into girder somehow? ;)

In any case you'll need to fiddle around with it some time... and it could be some work.

Have a look at the member section in section "sources". There is some documentation for the COM interface and have a look at DVBViewer spy, too. Everything else will lead to far.. you should also speend a look into the scripting lounge of the forum.

Hi, I fiddled arround with Visual J# and the COM interface of DVBViewer just to test a bit. Then I quickly build of what I was talking about in this thread, because it was still humming arround in my brain. :idiot:

You can find a small app here: http://www.tratschtante.de/DVBViewer/DVBVi...nelSwitcher.zip

The source code is also available here: http://www.tratschtante.de/DVBViewer/DVBVi...cher_Source.zip

I suggest you keep the source, because it's unlikely that I will change something if changes in DVBViewer will requiere that or that I will correct any bugs if there are still some. You'll need someone with some java skills and visual studio (I used Visual Studio 2005) to build a new version. :idiot:

To run the app on your system you'll probably need to install something from here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/de-de/vjsharp/Bb188598.aspx

There is a readme included in the zip. Read it :idiot:

I hope you'll have at least a bit fun using this app... I had fun building it :idiot:

• 2 weeks later...

I must install .NET ;) not convenient because i want a light os installed.

Why Lars change the use of numpad keys in preview mode? I still don't understand why changing size & position of picture box features are so much expected!!!

Just have a look to the PIP function in classic TV set, none of theses features is available.

Please, focus on the useful final users's functionalities.

Edited by Fabien44

Lars, i am sorry but:

- in normal mode, numpad 4 pressed -> select directly the channel 4

- in preview mode, numpad 4 pressed -> left move of the picture box

(i could continue with other numpad keys)

so for numpad keys, nomal mode <> preview mode and i am very confused and disturbed with this change. If you want to keep resizing & moving features, please affect them to another keys than numpads because now in preview mode i could not select directly a channel anymore than i could in normal one!

Regards,

Fabien

Edited by Fabien44

Lars said it more than once: this is how the preview worked all the time. If you don't like it, you are free not to use it. It's not likely that there will be big changes in preview in the next versions.

Guest upspace

offtopic: i understand that sometimes it takes one or two posts that everybody is understanding the same. but what i don't like going on here more and more is that a valid request/improvement of the application is commented as "that is how it always was it will stay the same and we don't care and you don't use".

hey we all love DVBViewer. it is the only app that is doing dvb-s properly on pc screen and large tv sets. but we all know that when it comes to WAF (wife acceptance factors) many things can still be improved. some navigation / handling issues are just too technical (to me) and could be done better having a look at traditional devices such as tvs, settop boxes, dreambox or even "standar" mce applications (microsoft media center etc.)

I understand that the old behavior was absolutely ok as long as the preview mode was only capable of viewing the channels of one transponder/multiplex, because that are only 4 to 6 channels. But with the improvement of multituner preview you can access hundreds of channels and therefor it would be very useful to change the channel by numbers. Another point is that in most cases you use the sizing and positioning of the preview window only once or very rare until you get a good fit. I've made a suggestion to change that behavior some months ago in this post and mentioned some ideas how to solve it. One possibility is to make the behavior of the number keys changeable via context menu (osd blue) or at least the setup.xml. To swap the PiP pictures you could use the LastChannel button, to swap the audio you could use the AudioMenu button if this feature is really necessary. I would love to see this reworked :P

Cheereo

NeDrY

Thanks for your support Upspace and Nedry, i fully agreed with you.

It's very nice to implement a PIP feature but if we don't use it properly, who cares?

Furthermore, i don't appreciate such answers to a user/client of the product like "it's like this and nothing will change. If you are not satisfied...". I just would like to improve the product through a final user need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...