Signal level and others

mabruk

Hello Friends,

I am new in this forum and feel very happy to share with all of you.

I also have a few questions to ask about DVBViewer.

I am using the last Pro version - 3.9.0 - together with

-- hauppauge hvr 3000 tv card

-- Windows Vista - Intel core Duo E6600 - 2Gb RAM - Geforce 8800 GTS and

-- Sony 46x2000 Sony TV set

It is going well but I encountered just a few problems that I will relate:

1. I can't find any way of knowing the signal intensity and/or quality that my dish delivers

2. When using Ciberlink 7.3 decoder I can only see a green screen most of the times. It is ok sometimes,,,

until I switch DVBViewer off and then on. So I can see pictures only ocassionally with this decoder. Sound is OK.

I have not said problem with other decoders like NVidia Pure Video, for example, but I get either picture unstability

or deinterlacing efect on motion pictures when using any other decoder than the Cyberlink one. I tried lost of different

combinations but I was unable to find the correct one so far.

3. When decoding HD TV Mpeg4 Standar - I use Cyberlinl Mpeg4 decoder aswell - the picture is superb but after one minute

more or less, it starts to jump a little. That is, the motion stops being smooth. At the moment, and thinking that It could be due to

a problem of buffering, I am using the Timeshift feature to solve it. So it is OK this way but only if I delay de playback for a few seconds.

But I suppose there should be a more propper way to do it, either with DVBViewer or with my hardware system. Obviously, and for the

same reason, recordings of HD are not affected by this problem.

Apart from this I am rather happy with the program and all the great features it offers.

By for now and many thanks to all for your kind responses.

Cheers,

Mabruk

1. What the card's display isn't sooo good. But you can view it in DVBViewer: open DVBViewer in window mode, be sure that the statusbar is displayed and use the default GUI Skin. Then click on the second field of the statusbar until it shows the signal strength, that's the number with a % after it and no "Time" in front of it. :)

2. Green can have something to do with hardware acceleration. Maybe another renderer (Option->DirectX) or another driver or just disabling hardware acceleration (view->filters click on video filter and fidle with it's options) could help.

3. It's a known problem of the cyberlink decoder in software mode. It can't handle Live-TV correctly then. You could stay with your timeshift solution or search the forum for the workarround with higher latency for H.264 Streams (which is basicly the same) or you could try the mainconcept decoder, which doesn't suffer from that problem: http://www.elecard.com/products/products-p...reaming-plugin/ The demo needs to be registered manually. DVBViewer doesn't support the EVR Renderer, yet, which means that there is no hardware acceleration possible for H.264 material in vista, because MS disabled it for all other renderers.

Hello Moses,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

And great!! I could see an indication of the signal level following the way you said. It may not be too accurate -

which is rather common with all other Viewers when using BDA drivers - but enough to stop you from climbing up

to the roof when the picture goes off for other reasons. By de way, I was really amazed when

discovering that DVBViewer had no problems at all in handling the Hauppauge HVR3000 diseqC control and also the Terrestric

reception. All together, in the same channellist, and even able to swicth between Satelite and the other one, once you have

tidked ON the "Stop stream while tunning" option in the hardware menu. I think this only feature worth, and much more,

for the 15 euros I paid for the program.

In relation with the other issues your are completely right about the root of the problems. I 'd already stoped the green screen by desabling

the hardware acceleration in the Cyberlink decoder, but doing so I got the beformentioned picture unstability and deinterlacing efect. Anyway

the green screen is not very frequent and most of the times it can be solved by either rebuilding the graph or swichting the program off and on.

I had already tried Elecard or Moonlight AVC Decoder for the Mpeg4 inconvenient with no result at all. Core_AVC_Profesional did also the same.

So I am happy with the Timeshift solution, which is perfect so far, as long as I take into account the size of my hard disk :=)

Thanks a lot again for your kind advises, Moses. I will probably continue working on these issues but just for fun since they are not important at all.

Cheers,

Mabruk

There may be one other decoder you might try. It's posted in the HDTV Part of the forums and sadly manly discussed in german, but people got good results with it in vista. It's from japan (or so) and the webpage is only in japan (or at least something my system can't display and I can't understand), but you can find the download link for a demo and the program & decoder seems to be in english:

discussion:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=162047

download link:

http://www.arcsoft-jungle.jp/products/tme/trial.php (it's quite huge, because it's a full DVD/Blu-Ray app.)

Hi Moses and thanks again,

I tried the ArcSoft for H264 decoding that you told me and found even worse results than using Cyberlink. So, I'll stay with my Timeshift :=)

The ArcSoft Mpeg-2 decoder is neither valid - in my system at least - since I was unable to get smooth motion pictures

even after trying different combinations with the filters fields.

The best way I found to test the performance of different filters - mpeg2 in this case - was by tunning Sky News or, even better,

BBCWorld TV Channels and then watching the motion instant news banner at the bottom of the screen. By this way, the only

filter being able to perfectly display said banners is the Cyberlink one with hardware acceleration. I also have Nvidia Pure Video,

which performs perfect with HD videos but also unable to correctly display the BBCWorld banner. It does ok

with the one of Sky News or CNBC channels. But, definetely, the Cyberlink 7.3 is the only one performing perfect

under all tests. All this could be not very important when watching a 15 or 19 inches PC monitor but it becomes rather

significant when having a 46 or 52 inches tv set.

The only inconvenient is the unpredictable green screen mistake that I mentioned before and that only happens when

using the Cyberlink mpeg-2 decoder. Anyway, I tought at first

that this problem was rather frequent but I realised that it was that way just because I was testing, trialing and switching

DVBViewer off and on very frequently. But for a normal way of watching tv, said problem becomes practically not existent.

By the way and changing the issue, I have found in DVBViewer the perfect tool so far for my HTPC by using the

remote Hauppauge control, included with the tv card, and programming it with the help of Girder soft. The result is

amazing since I can control by distance not only any important function of DVBViewer but any other within the whole PC. Including

Mouse, Vista Media Center, Internet navigation, etc, etc.

By for now and cheers,

Mabruk

• 4 months later...
1. What the card's display isn't sooo good. But you can view it in DVBViewer: open DVBViewer in window mode, be sure that the statusbar is displayed and use the default GUI Skin. Then click on the second field of the statusbar until it shows the signal strength, that's the number with a % after it and no "Time" in front of it. :blink:

Hallo

I'm also new..

Are there a way to keep teh signal level meter working and keep the picture running while in "positioner console"

Setting up a Motech V-boxII using a S2-3200 TT card, and it really is like looking after a needle in a heystack be course everything turns off when opening the motor console.

The viewer is not meant to be a tool to setup your dish. There are programs better suited for this special task (fastsatfinder etc. ask google).

The viewer is not meant to be a tool to setup your dish. There are programs better suited for this special task (fastsatfinder etc. ask google).

The dish is set up and so on. I need the signal level for setting up the apropiate sat-positions,- and store them in DVBViewer. If controlled by other software I am sure DVBViewer have no idea where the antenna is positioned, and therefore can´t store them correctly.

I´m not using a USAS-STAB motor, but driven by an actuator controlled by a V-box.

This possibility is normally incoperated in recievers, including Mytheatre software forexample, so that´s why I asked.

Only Mytheatre don´t support BDA drivers and HDTV yet, so therefore I try DVBViewer instead.

This possibility is normally incoperated in recievers, including Mytheatre software forexample, so that´s why I asked.

Only Mytheatre don´t support BDA drivers and HDTV yet, so therefore I try DVBViewer instead

Maybe MT wouldn't support it either if it was supporting BDA :blink:

Maybe MT wouldn't support it either if it was supporting BDA :bye:

I can´t see why they should take away a working function in next version, not logical.

Have some problems:

the only way to change position is to jump into "motor console" and ask the motor to go to for example pos 19 Astra, and it does.

If I then jump out of motor console and back, the program has forgotten what card to use means: "device" is blank.

In channel editor the program returns to "PosB/OptA", means away from "use positioner"

In channel scan if do remember that is should use positioner "use positioner"

When "motor console" is closed DVBViewer has to be restarted before picture returns.

Another thing is if I ask DVBViewer to scan for example Astra ( after haveing set it back to "use positioner") the motor starts and drives to the limit in west.

The positive is : before it has left Astra it finds 21 channels.

The Motech itself can find the positions.

If I change from one channel on one position, to another channel on another position, nothing happens. The motor don´t move.

Means I have to go into "motor console" change device from Blank to S2-3200 and enter 19 ( for astra) in "go to position"

Then it moves to position 19. Close motorconsole, and restart program.

the positive thing is all menues looks good, adn channels search looks like it is good, not easy to know, when the motor start when a search start.

For now it is not installed, have to find other solutions.

any suggestions to the problems?

The console should only be used for the setup.

thats how I do it,but it forget the settings.... he position set-up can only be made in teh positioner console, that picture missing and no signal level meter makes it useless, is another story..

Hello again

I have tried to re-install DVBViewer.

When the program starts and I try to scan I get this error message" no harware found"

I have read all help/faq

tried to disable the drivers and activate them again.

turned off PC, unplugged it for 30 seconds

nothing helps

Then I downloaded the supporttool

When I run that program and press "inspect" I get this message: "the program must be run in the DVBViewer folder"

but it is in same folder ...

Technotrend BDA DVB-S capture and Technotred BDA DVB-S Tuner are present, active and working..

The driver version are 4.4.10.17

:radscorpion:

deleted DVBViewer and re-installed

now it works, but got this message during install:"the softwre does not support this type of CPU"

but I continued to install.

and it works, b ut again it is unbeliveble difficult to scan for new sat- positions. like finding needles in a heystack.

And I wonder what the "east" and "west" step buttoms are for if not intended to be used to fine tune the signal.

sorry but I really think it should be possible to see picture and level meter during pre-setting the satellite positions. how else to do it?

And teh suggested software to set-up a dish ..well how can DVBViewer know the positions if set up in another program?

sorry I ask..

so for the moment I have found Hotbird only (straight south position where I live)

damn..

made a full transponder scan

pressed "ARD" in the channel list to get some picture on the screen..

and got a total crash= Blue screen

still can´t use the error-report tool

:radscorpion:

Just paid for that program also, ($30 + VAT) it does NOT support Vista, NOR drivers, so can´t be used, just for information.