Some words about music

bounguine

The main purpose of the DVBViewer is, as the name says, watching and listing to digitial brodcast via Sattelite,Cabel etc.

So all other Functions are only implemented rudimental and looked at as a Gimmick.

Nice to have but nothing more.

DVBV only started a few Versions ago to become a kind of MediaFrontend. The Developers and some commited Users are doing their best, to satisfy all the wishes of the DVBV-Community, but the main Goal still is, and will be, to enhance the performance in the DVB-Sector and get rid of all the Problems appearing with the different Soft-and Hardwareproducts.

The Capacity in the "Developing-Department" is not the biggest one. So those kind of things, as in your request, will take quite a long time, if ever, to be realized.

But maybe you are a talented Programmer yourself :) if so, don´t bother to contact the Headdevelopers of DVBV. They sure will provide you with all information needed to implement such a Function.

Greetz

Pinbot

Edited by pinbot
But maybe you are a talented Programmer yourself :( if so, don´t bother to contact the Headdevelopers of DVBV. They sure will provide you with all information needed to implement such a Function.

Greetz

Pinbot

No, I have no talants :)

To be frank, if compare your HTPC-program to, say, MediaPortal, your SW is much professional and stable.

I'll be missin' these features, as I'm goin' to unistall MediaPortal, which has them.

How does the old saying go?

There are no competitors only contenders ;)

(very freely translatet from German :) )

Ok, you are right, some of functions of those programs would be nice to have. But the more you put into a program the faultier it gets... just have a look at Vista.... got the point?

When i decided to switch to DVBV i was kind of dissapointed too when i learned, that some of the functions i was used to from other progs, where missing.

But on the other hand i decided, that it was better to have a thingy that does the work it was meant for, than to use a monstrous pile of code that more or less humbles down it´s way.

The DVBV iis quite robust and ... it´s getting better step by step. Just wait for V4.0 .... great things are rising.... (hope i did´nt say and promise to much ...) :(

Greetz

Pinbot

Yes, all the monsters wil die! :)

I need their blood! :(

If you would only know, how Mediaportal tortures me with their 'nightly builds'.

Beta-prog for ever!

As for 'genre' tag - I don't think it would be a great problem.

Any way, I will wait.

Or I would never pay money.

I paid for quality

No it won´t be a problem but as i said before, it´s not very high on the agenda, unless one of the "Volunteers" has a "quick´n´dirty" idea....

Oh yes, ican feel your pain...

Same Problem with "Sceneo" (quite popular... has been ^^)

Tons of Betas, and nothing stable.. but as long as they can charge and get the cash... who cares ^^

Anyway, your choice was right... that´s for sure. So have fun, enjoy DVBV and don´t hesitate to ask when there are problems or if you have ideas for improvements. Not everything can be solved by the push of a button, but there are a lot of people with good knowledge in the community, who can help you and sure will do so. ( ... more or less :) )

Greetz

Pinbot

Edited by pinbot
No, I have no talants :bye:

To be frank, if compare your HTPC-program to, say, MediaPortal, your SW is much professional and stable.

I'll be missin' these features, as I'm goin' to unistall MediaPortal, which has them.

I have recently started to try to combine TVedia (www.8dim.com) and DVBViewer. I am not ready yet.

TVedia is a very competent frontend for all other medias but has no support for DVB and analog TV.

DVBViewer can easily be added as a extra program to TVedia.

I have not yet set up the remote to work painlessly when switching from TVedia to DVBViewer.

When calling external programs (DVBViewer) TVedia closes down (releasing all resources) and restarts when you terminate DVBViewer.

If I start a manual recording I cannot switch back to TVedia before I have terminated DVBViewer.

As I understand it DVBViewer can do recordings without being run in the forground, I am not yet

comfortable with the time controlled recordings of DVBViewer :-).

- B

I've just tested a bit Tvedia.

I got problems with DVD-menu navigation - I could switch between menu names only with a mouse.

And one annoying thing with ID3 Tags.

If you have "Red Hot Chili Peppers, The", you'll get two artisits Red Hot Chili Peppers" and "The"

PS Sorry for the name of famous English punk-group :bye:

Edited by bounguine

Last.FM was one of those things i thought about in the last days, as well as a simple search engine within the media database. We have some plans for this, but as everything it needs time - especially since there are much more interesting features in the pipe which have slightly more importance for us (e.g. AAC and some other DVB related things).

Christian

Last.FM was one of those things i thought about in the last days, as well as a simple search engine within the media database. We have some plans for this, but as everything it needs time - especially since there are much more interesting features in the pipe which have slightly more importance for us (e.g. AAC and some other DVB related things).

Christian

You are on the correct way.

Stability is what we all want.

But...

I've played a bit with TVedia.

Yes, I like it as a multumedian prog.

They've chosen nice ways for a user to build a media DB.

And besides, if you scan music folders, the prog scans shares for thumbnails, if there's nothing there, it goes to Amazon.com and Last.fm for pictures.

Actually, what I miss in DVBViewer, when working with the two progs,:

- adding a customisible root-menu in DVBViewer GUI, which I could rename to anything, like 'back' or 'media',

- writing a command for this menu to mute DVBViewer and to send it to tray and to maximaze from the tray a prog like TVedia, when pressing the button in GUI (to use the skin, but not only my remote).

In this way I would integrate two or even more programs

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging this old topic up, but i suppose it might become interesting in the next release. I finally found time to build a push/pull video (media) on demand directshow filter which supports almost every kind of media. From Shoutcast, trough LastFM (Audioscrobbler) up to media files (videos) which are stored on http pages. The biggest advantage is that you dont have to download the file for playing it back, if the server e.g. allows to jump inside a file you can skip immediately parts of a video. The biggest disadvantage by this fact is that you have to read at least as fast as you can play the stream back.

Christian