Scanning for QAM channels

A1730

I just acquired DVBViewer Pro. I love everything that I have seen about the program except that I can not get it to tune QAM channels using Hauppauge 1800. The card works wonderfully with WinTV6, and Directshow analog tuner.

Can someone help?

Support.zip is attached.

Thank you!

support.zip

What QAM channels? As far as I know, all channels in DVB-C are QAM-modulated... so what QAM Modulation are you talking about? Most common are QAM64 and QAM256. You should try transedit and see if you have luck, when you try the different modulations for yourself, on the transponders where you don't get a signal, but should get one.

Thanks Moses for your quick reply.

I really don't know the answer to your question. Maybe I should have asked how to use DVBViewer with Hauppauge 1800 running on windows XP.

I know that I click the QAM scanner on WinTV-6 and it miraculously gets my channels. I need something equivalent to that in DVBViewer.

I have tried all intuitive combinations in Transedit but no luck but I am sure that DVBViewer can do it. This is why I was hoping someone has done it before, and they can share their experience.

I am re-reading the Transedit user guide, maybe I will detect something new.

Does anyone know where I can find Transedit parameters for Comcast, Boston, MA, USA?

Thanks for giving me a fighting chance!

I'll update the board on the outcome of trying the frequencies.

Thanks again.

Transedit is too sopisticated for me>)

This is really sad because I know that the software can do what I need if I can only figure out how:(

I got this fom the mythTv link, and gb-vbr found the station with no issues:

UPN-HD:589779400:QAM_256:2368:2369:5

How do I convince transedit to scan the above channel? I am so close that I could smell success.

Moses, please be kind, we are not all as smart as you are!

..try to get the cable channel parameters from your cable provider. We can't possibly know each and ervery network on this planet.

The comcast support engineer (dummy) did not know what I wanted by cable parameters. I don't either.

How do I explain this to him? Does someone have the cable parameters for Boston, MA, USA?

Thanks!

;)

• 3 weeks later...
..try to get the cable channel parameters from your cable provider. We can't possibly know each and ervery network on this planet.

I am going to get this DVBViewer stuff to work if it is the last thing I do with my life.

I can't believe that Moses is so insensitive to the plight of a new user but Hey, the product looks good and it even pretends to be good when I use it with videos recorded with WinTV so I'll give Moses a break.

Moses, seriously, you know more about this crap than the average Joe -- this is why people are paying to get DBVViewer (hoping that you will be a benevolent dictator) -- what do I need to do a proper blind scan?

I KNOW that this frequency works : WGBH-HD:583779100:QAM_256:2048:2049:1 (It works with mythTV on Linux)

It is the frequency of public televsion in my neck of the wood. The cable company is required to carry it, and I know that they do because I can view it with WinTV, MythTV and trial version of BeyondTV.

Even, you can see that it requires QAM_256 which my Hauppauge handles with no issues. I have tried all scanning combinations with Tranbsedit but no pictures:(

I tried all frequencies from 583000000 to 584000000 by putting 583000-584000:10 in Transedit -- then blind scan on the frequency. No images -STILL.

Moses, you can, and you should, help. What else can I give you to get you to sympathize and help? I'll eve report my steps back to the forum to help your next customer who will undoubtedly run into this problem.

Moses, this is a direct plea -- I need your help.

Thanks

--A1730