.ts = .mpg with subs

Tare69

Hi...

I don't know if somebody has all ready asked this but: If I record something from tv to .ts (where inside is subs) I want then do one mpeg file where sub is in film so it can make to avi (or some else standard video). I don't want to demux it or nothing like that, only get normal mpg with subs. If I record tv to mpeg there is no subs at all so Russia & German films are so hard to keep interesting (Finland YLE did send old Solaris and Die Blechtrommel :idiot:. ProjectX will do demuxing with subs but adding all together is hard... So add tool to DVBViewer or some settings to put selected sub direct to mpeg...

Good program this DVBViewer is... Too good, I can't fast enaught edit so much video that my computer now days records :-)

- Tare69

Edited by Tare69

Hello,

the best is, you author a dvd structure (VIDEO_TS Folder) with IfoEdit, so you have subtitle which you can enable it if you like.

Good program this DVBViewer is... Too good, I can't fast enaught edit so much video that my computer now days records :-)
the same here. :idiot:

:idiot:

Hello !

Might be that I do nor understand the problem.

Hence :

You want to record Television with Subtitles ?

Than TS is your only option.

You want to view This with subtitles ?

Just do it.

A lot of Software Players kann show TS with Subtitles.

My preferred one www.Videolan.org VLC = Video Lan Client

If you want to view it elsewhere.

Video DVD (including demultiplexing , cutting, multiplexing and DVD Authoring ) is your only option.

With one exception:

You Find a HardDisk Multimedia Box that supports TS.

There are a few including a HTPC (Home Theatre PC)

Hello !

Might be that I do nor understand the problem.

Hence :

You want to record Television with Subtitles ?

Than TS is your only option.

You want to view This with subtitles ?

Just do it.

A lot of Software Players kann show TS with Subtitles.

My preferred one www.Videolan.org VLC = Video Lan Client

If you want to view it elsewhere.

Video DVD (including demultiplexing , cutting, multiplexing and DVD Authoring ) is your only option.

With one exception:

You Find a HardDisk Multimedia Box that supports TS.

There are a few including a HTPC (Home Theatre PC)

I don't want to select player, I don't want to make DVD, I only want to do MPEG what I can edit and then change it to AVI with subs allready in place. YLE sends subs different than other Finlands prodcast companys (MTV3, Nelonen, Jim, SubTV) and I thank that there is not much programs what I want to record from YLEs canals, but there is some good progs. And I record about 20GB/day so there comes plenty of editing so I only do this: record->edit comercials->change to AVI (with MediaCoder what does it backround). I have no time or space to do DVD mastering (I do it some times). So I want subs to be burned to mpg-file...

I have DVBViewer, Media Portal, MediaCoder, ProjectX, HDTV2MPG, Pinnacle Studio 9 (crashes many times so not in use) and couble DVD Authoring programs. And lots of media editing/converting programs more what will not work with mpeg2 or are somehow wrong to this job.

So one button to file player list "Change .TS to .MPG with selected SUB" or something will be nice if it can't record mpg+sub direct...

- Tare69

I don't want to select player, I don't want to make DVD, I only want to do MPEG what I can edit and then change it to AVI with subs allready in place. YLE sends subs different than other Finlands prodcast companys (MTV3, Nelonen, Jim, SubTV) and I thank that there is not much programs what I want to record from YLEs canals, but there is some good progs. And I record about 20GB/day so there comes plenty of editing so I only do this: record->edit comercials->change to AVI (with MediaCoder what does it backround). I have no time or space to do DVD mastering (I do it some times). So I want subs to be burned to mpg-file...

I have DVBViewer, Media Portal, MediaCoder, ProjectX, HDTV2MPG, Pinnacle Studio 9 (crashes many times so not in use) and couble DVD Authoring programs. And lots of media editing/converting programs more what will not work with mpeg2 or are somehow wrong to this job.

So one button to file player list "Change .TS to .MPG with selected SUB" or something will be nice if it can't record mpg+sub direct...

- Tare69

Tare, I'm recording in .ts as well and wrote a small script that will automatically encode my .ts recordings into .mkv container (AVC/MP3). It will also convert the DVB Subtitles YLE sends into .sub/.idx format and attach them into that same container (nice feature of MKV when compared to AVI). The script uses many external programs to do it's stuff - you can read about it here (only in Finnish). The script itself seems to be working quite nicely already, even while it is still in "development". The automatic running of Comskip seems to be problematic sometimes as channel Nelonen is sending streams that can cause crashes in that phase - you may need to disable it if you want more bullet-proof performance.

Well use google maybe you find something like this. The Viewer will never do this, it goes far beyond the scope of the program.

Would it be too difficult to implement such a feature that DVBViewer would save subs (as .SRT or .SUB ?) when saving audio/video as .MPG?

I know, .TS is the best choice but still...

IMHO there is no need to do this. TS can be played equally well or even better and if you want to author a dvd, is has to be demuxed anyway -> again, you'll end up with pj.x :)

IMHO there is no need to do this. TS can be played equally well or even better and if you want to author a dvd, is has to be demuxed anyway -> again, you'll end up with pj.x :)

IMHO there is. Upnp media servers / players mostly can show MPG, but not TS.

I don't think that this will work. A separate elementary stream (subs in this case) will lose synch with the mpeg program stream containing video & audio. You could try to produce a mpeg stream and a .SRT or .SUB with pj.x and then play both with the player of your choice..

I don't think that this will work. A separate elementary stream (subs in this case) will lose synch with the mpeg program stream containing video & audio. You could try to produce a mpeg stream and a .SRT or .SUB with pj.x and then play both with the player of your choice..

Ok... Then how about recording subtitles into mpg file, just the same way that it shows them on screen?

Ok... Then how about recording subtitles into mpg file, just the same way that it shows them on screen?

recording is one thing, separated from playing, that is another thing. when showing them on screen: there are 2 things to show - picture and text, like 2 layers at the same time. In .ts -file they are like 2 things in the same "box", but not in the "mpeg-box" - there is only picture (and audio, of cource).

i guess, there should be some kind of "mixing"-program to do this "burning-text-to-picture", and it is another story...correct me if i'm wrong...

and since textning is not the main purpose in DVBViewer, .ts files is really OK, as long as the textning is working...VLCplayer is good for the time being...(my humble opinion...)

YLEs great idea of multilanguage-textning here in Finland has its good points, only it should be working better - but thats not DVBviewers fault...

:)

Edited by Ludwig2

..even if multiplexing of dvd_subs into mpeg_PS would be possible, I'm afraid most player wouldn't play it. Probably VOB would be an appropriate container. But this is beyond the scope of the DVBViewer.