New 3.9.1

ricabullah

Dunno, may be a nVIDIA driver bug. It always had problems with YUV formats (OSD format is AYUV in case of EVR). But it was mainly related to the DXVA deinterlacer. However, this problem is also apparent in pure software mode... (also pin 2 is most likely not deinterlaced)

Edited by CiNcH

Ok, may not even be a bug, your resolution is 1024 x 768 means that the skin exactly fits the display resolution and no scaling has to be performed in mummum69's case. But I am not sure...

Edited by CiNcH

BTW, Thomas; i see you here.

One question:

I told with previous version of Pro, i used Pro window seperately as PIP window. And the main window was yours coming with your plug-in.

Since Pro is using EVR anymore, is it possible to link this plug to PIP.

This time, Pro window gonna be main window and PIP will use EVR instead of VMR9.

So two HDTVs will be possible with two EVRs. (so it means double PVHD/AVIVO HD)

Is it possible?

Edited by ricabullah
I see, with other words, blame nVIDIA... again *g*

Remember "nVIDIA VMR fix" ;)

It was a nVIDIA bug as well, not Ati bug; since there was no AVIVO thing at that time.

Some remarks:

EVR and DXVA2 drivers must support AYUV. All pins <>1 must be progressive. This is per specs by MS. The Viewer is playing by the book on this.

The OSD is always rendered in original size of the skin, no matter how big or small the window is. All scaling is done by the renderer (in hw acc. mode means by hardware). Everything is the same like VMRx modes, except the (lossless) colorfomat conversion.

That's what I thought.

What is interesting to me is that OSD looks good on HD channels. Thought that OSD was scaled to the screen resolution, no matter what the video source is like.

Maybe we missunderstood: original size= size of the OSD (means a 720 x 576 is always 720 x 576 internally without any scaling by the viewer). The OSD-Filter gets the original sized OSD and sends it after a color conversion to renderer (well it's a little more complicated internally but that's the basic principle ;) ).

Of course I know that the DVBViewer does no scaling, renderer resp. graphics hardware does and that's where the problem occurs. I am aware of the fact that the problem is not DVBViewer related...

From a renderer point of view there seems to be a dependency between video source and OSD resolutions (at least with nVIDIA). Otherwise behaviour would not be different for SD and HD video material.

Edited by CiNcH

Problem is with default skin also, but it does not seem as apparent with low resolution skins. Or probably because it better matches the video resolution...

Problem is with default skin also, but it does not seem as apparent with low resolution skins. Or probably because it better matches the video resolution...

I take care of the result itself ;)

Edited by ricabullah

Since these operation normally should be done in HW (according to the MS DDK), there is a good chance that better drivers may help, if nvidia does get the hang of DXVA2 ;)

That's what I was hoping for two years now in case of VMR + DXVA.

Take into account another two years as well for EVR+DXVA 2 ;)

Edited by ricabullah
  • 2 weeks later...

Missed this new version, just installed it right now, and perfection with EVR:

clipboard01da0.th.jpg

(click thumnbail to see fullscreen)

CPU use barely noticeable at 0.36% (2.4ghz core2duo), vector-adaptive deinterlacing working, no skips/framedrops. That's BBC HD btw, 16mbit 1080i50 h264.

My setup: Vista32, ATI 2600xt, 7.7 drivers, latest PDVD codec. Levels are expanded, since it's on a PC monitor.

Edited by arfster
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually have exactly the same dilemma. With version 3.9.0 it was almost impossible to watch any H.264 channels, either HD or SD. SD h.264 is extensively used in local DVB-T broadcasting. Computer setup is Vista32 with Athlon64, NVidia GeForce 7500 LE. Funny thing was that h.264 was extremely jerky although CPU load was quite low (never over about 30%). I usually got average frame rate of 19 fps or so on h.264 SD channels.

So, when I found out that 3.9.1 supports EVR then happiness was on the way. Set aside the fact that upgrade process lost all my recordings (again!), not the files but indexed data so they could be accessed from DVBViewer Recordings menu, everything is perfect. Now when I select EVR I get perfect 50fps for all h.264 channels, SD and HD. But the OSD is seriously screwed. I mean seriously, not like your screenshots, guys:) Some of the channels broadcast over DVB-T have native resolution of 540x576 and the scaling issue is so serious that it is almost impossible to recognize letters in OSD items that are overlaid on the live picture (miniEPG, OSD menu etc). As soon as I reach the point where OSD fills the screen (channels view, recordings view etc), everything is fine and at full resolution. Overlaid pieces are so ugly it almost makes me laugh.

So the dilemma currently is if I should stick with viewable OSD or viewable h.264 channels.

So the dilemma currently is if I should stick with viewable OSD or viewable h.264 channels.

..if you think of the purpose of a tv_application, the choice can't be too difficult :rolleyes:

..if you think of the purpose of a tv_application, the choice can't be too difficult ;)

It isn't :rolleyes: I just want a tv application that works like a tv.

I have to correct myself on previous post. It is NOT just EVR issue, something much worse has happened with 3.9.1 installation and I can't understand what it is. I was just not paying enough attention, the OSD scaling problem is also visible with VMR9, couldn't imagine why I did not notice that. EVR is still much worse. It is getting strange... I have not changed any other software component (driver, DX) than to upgrade Viewer from 3.9.0 to 3.9.1 and I swear that I did not have OSD scaling issue before with VMR9.

I have included 1:1 screenshot cuts from the same channel using VMR9 and EVR. See for yourself if you would be happy with such OSD quality:) I just can't imagine what have I screwed up with upgrade and how to fix it.

post-42669-1198492806_thumb.jpg

post-42669-1198492822_thumb.jpg

Do you see deinterlacing artifacts on the video?

No, the video looks fine, at least as fine as expected from such resolution and bitrate, in any case no deinterlacing artefacts.

Something strange happened with filters during upgrade to 3.9.1. Immediately after upgrade I got message that audio could not be output because there is no output pin (error 80040256 if I remember correctly). I had to select "system default" in DX settings for audio to get it back, I had before specified front speakers of the HD audio card as output and it worked fine.

Now I am confined to Overlay Mixer if I want to get normal looking OSD.

Why don't you try to make a clean reinstall?

OK I went over all the trouble of uninstalling Viewer, removing all files, doing a fresh 3.9.1 install. The result is exactly the same. Only mode to get normal OSD with is overlay.

For some reason I can't connect to the Viewers graph with graphedit, although I have registered proppage.dll. I either get empty running graph list or even if I get the graph in list the connection still fails. So I have no way to find out how the graph exactly looks like in trouble situation.

After fiddling around a lot with EVR I have to admit that it is all problems. First, auto aspect ratio never works as expected for 4:3 transmissions. Second, whatever adjustments I make from the filter properties page are not saved, it always reverts back to some default values which doesnt let me to set EVR aspect ratio to PicturePreserve or select video processor used.

Screenshots of OSD with overlay, VMR9 and EVR included. OSD is used on h.264 channel with native resolution of 540x576@25fps. Still not looking good but running out of ideas what to do next.

And I am still confident the problem appeared after I first installed 3.9.1. I was using VMR9 with 3.9.0 up to then with no OSD scaling problems and just upgraded to get EVR. No luck since.

post-42669-1199021943_thumb.jpg

post-42669-1199021954_thumb.jpg

post-42669-1199021972_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Sorry to go a little off subject but I was wondering if anyone had any other faults with full screen scaling with EVR.

I appear to have a grey border around the graph. I have tried zooming, changing aspect rations and decoders, GFX drivers to no effect.

If this is a bug I will report but just thought I will check if anyone else was having the same issue which has a fix.

This only happens with EVR selected as renderer. ~ Any ideas? picture attached.

post-15915-1199142815_thumb.jpg

Edited by The One
Hi all,

Sorry to go a little off subject but I was wondering if anyone had any other faults with full screen scaling with EVR.

I appear to have a grey border around the graph. I have tried zooming, changing aspect rations and decoders, GFX drivers to no effect.

If this is a bug I will report but just thought I will check if anyone else was having the same issue which has a fix.

This only happens with EVR selected as renderer. ~ Any ideas? picture attached.

Even i'm not sure it is gonna fix this issue but: try to register evrprop.dll.

I've never met such kind of problem.

Edited by ricabullah
Even i'm not sure it is gonna fix this issue but: try to register evrprop.dll.

I've never met such kind of problem.

Thanks, this sort of led the way to fixing it. What it turned out to be was some settings in the EVR renderer properties are

not being set in the graph i.e under mixer tap the output rectangle is not being set to full screen also under the display tap

under aspect ratio I had to select nonlinearstretch mode to get it to work.

Saying that the problem is still there on restart of DVBViewer. The question is, is it a bug? or do I need to do a clean install?

Edited by The One
it's because of the experemintial support for evr in DVBViewer and it will most propably stay this way some time..

EVR support is not experimental for GE; you can scale to full screen with "zoom", no problem here.

So i'm hoping to get this feature on the next version of Pro as well.