Poor H.264 video playback with any ATI card?

GarethPhillips

Hi, I am pulling my hair out with a problem and I would be most appreciative if somebody could assist me. I am running the latest version of DVBViewer Pro which I have purchased to watch free to air satellite TV here in the UK (which is 1 channel by the BBC at the moment). Issues with stuttering and low framrate are well documented in other forums I realise...

I struggled for so long to try and get smooth playback of the BBC HD channel that I purchased a Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card for my system in the hope that onboard GPU acceleration would help with my setup. It did not. I still had very jerky playback using either PowerDVD or coreAVC decoders. To cut a long story short I sold the entire PC and built a brand new one, based around the ASUS PK5-VM board, a 1333 FSB Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz and an ATI HD 2600 XT graphics card. To my horror the playback is exactly the same. Power DVD's H.264 decoder gives the best performance, but is still unwatchable. CoreAVC is the worst (despite knowing my CPU is good enough to decode this video). With either the 2400 or 2600 XT cards installed there is high amounts of dropped frames in the video renderers.

Unbelievably if I remove the graphics cards and revert to the Intel G33 onboard graphics which are supplied with my mainboard CoreAVC is able to produce stunningly smooth video using only my CPU to decode. I have never seen this work with any other graphics adapter. Cyberlinks H.264 decoder also performs quite well but coreAVC is by far the best.

Unfortunaley I get odd horizontel scan line interference on this graphics adapter when running at 1080i 25hz using "overlay mixer". Swtiching to the VMR7 or 9 renderes fixes the image quality but there is high dropped frames in the renderes and the end result is the same as it was with the ATI cards.

I dont fully understand what I am seeing, but is there some kind of issue with ATI cards? I have searched all over the net and I cannot find anybody descriing these issues, but with a Radeon 2600HT I would expect slick HD playback with Cyberlink's decoder (let alone CoreAVC) but I cannot get antying smooth playback using any combination of decoder or renderer unless I run the Intel on board GPU which is supposed to be rubbish!

Can anybody assist or help explain?

Many thanks in advance

p.s playback of recorded HD video and HD-DVD or Blu Ray titles using the 2600XT were pretty good, it is the live broadcasts which are the big headache.

Edited by GarethPhillips

I have HD2600 XT and PowerDVD Ultra 7.3, his codec use the hardware acceleration (verified using ATItool)

For an E6600, with technotrend/PDVD codec, near 60% for 1920x1088i channel, with PDVD ultra only 10/20%. Now I have Q6600 and less than 10%.

p.s playback of recorded HD video and HD-DVD or Blu Ray titles using the 2600XT were pretty good, it is the live broadcasts which are the big headache.

This is normal since HD/BD disk videos are progressive while live broadcast is mostly interlaced. (there are some 720p channels)

If you have a core2 duo and 2 GB RAM, without any GPU HA need, you can easily watch them.

HA is a result to me because either PV HD or AVIVO HD, by the aid of HA capable decoder, decodes and make some post-processing like deinterlacing, color correction, rescaling, etc via GPU.

In case of progressive media, there is no need of deinterlacing.

On the other hand, if you record live broadcast on your HDD (without watching), you will live a better watching experience.

Why?

Because, as soon as tuner captures interlaced broadcast, GPU starts decoding, deinterlacing and the rest of the post processing. This is an in-line process.

But if you record it to HD without watching, this time tuner is off and the file is on the disk anymore that you can easily reach and process.

Think you are copying a file from a flash memory to HDD and just compare with copying a file from one folder to another in the same hard disk.

Lets come to Ati.

In my opinion, Ati still hasn't achieved to solve FW problems.

Just installing FW is not sufficient by itself.

You have to make some boring registry tweaks.

Arfster prepared a tweak manual for this.

Just have a look at this

But you might not find out some words since it is for all models of cards.

I gave it a go with 2400Pro and 2600XT.

My experience results say with mpeg SD and HD (even after tweaks) you won't be happy ever.

These are the issues i met:

Stuttering or jitter

Pixelization

Bluring

Posterization (choose "bob")

Excessive sharpness

With E6600 and 2GB RAM, CPU utilization was %20-30 on mpeg2HD and less than 8600's consumption.

But with h264 broadcast i met with no problem except sharpness and CPU at % 10 and less.

Edited by ricabullah
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still seeing appauling performance when playing H.264 (the BBC HD channel here in the UK via DVB-S) regarless of which decoder I use (Cyberlink or CoreAVC) This isnt a lack of CPU power as my system is running at a maximum of 50% for CoreAVC (and it is a 1033fsb Core 2Duo anyhow which is more than adequate)

My Graphics card is now a Geforce 8600GT ( I swapped it thinking this issue may be ATI specific but it's not)

The framerate is terrible with massive dropped frames, if I view the stats for the renderer in use there is massive dropped frames. the stats show as "0" for "overlay mixer" but I assume it is the same as the video looks terrible.

What is the reason for this? Is it graphics drivers, or a Vista issue, or is DVBViewer the problem?

It seems to be somehow related to the video renders as there are so many dropped frames? Where do I start please? !!

This PC is very high spec so things arent making sense to me!

Edited by GarethPhillips
I am still seeing appauling performance when playing H.264 (the BBC HD channel here in the UK via DVB-S) regarless of which decoder I use (Cyberlink or CoreAVC) This isnt a lack of CPU power as my system is running at a maximum of 50% for CoreAVC (and it is a 1033fsb Core 2Duo anyhow which is more than adequate)

My Graphics card is now a Geforce 8600GT ( I swapped it thinking this issue may be ATI specific but it's not)

The framerate is terrible with massive dropped frames, if I view the stats for the renderer in use there is massive dropped frames. the stats show as "0" for "overlay mixer" but I assume it is the same as the video looks terrible.

What is the reason for this? Is it graphics drivers, or a Vista issue, or is DVBViewer the problem?

It seems to be somehow related to the video renders as there are so many dropped frames? Where do I start please? !!

This PC is very high spec so things arent making sense to me!

I cant use reliably Vista OS, too many frame dropped in HD, Diseqc 1.2 not supported with last TT specific drivers, reverting to XP pro SP2 DVBViewer is perfectly running using HD2600XT, drivers 7.11 and PDVD Ultra codecs.

But I am using no Video renderer (unchanged) or simple overlay, VMR7 is very poor quality, VMR9 is more good but doesnt show in full screen on the 2nd display in theater mode.

I can't watch BBC HD here but i watch german HD channels without any dropped frames; either with XP, or with Vista.

(BTW, what was your DVB card? I might have missed.)

Edited by ricabullah
I can't watch BBC HD here but i watch german HD channels without any dropped frames; either with XP, or with Vista.

(BTW, what was your DVB card? I might have missed.)

It is a Twinhan 1024

Hi, here is a check list.

Check List for Vista:

Windows and DX:

Have you updated Windows?

Have you updated DX:

DX update

ForceWare drivers:

Have you uninstall ex-drivers?

Have you cleaned all remains with a driver cleaner?

Have you installed 163.75 WHQL FW drivers:

FW 163.75 for Vista

BDA drivers:

(missing since it is unknown-i've just seen it is Twinhan)

H264 decoder:

Have you installed PowerDVD 7 Ultra's Cyberlink h264 AVC decoder(version 7.3 and later-obligation- current is .3516)?

DVBViewer Pro:

Have you installed version 3.9.1

DVBViewer Settings:

Make sure "Use only first CPU" option box is unticked. (Settings Options Extended)

Make sure "Nvidia VMR fix" option box is ticked. (For VMR selection)

DX settings on DVBViewer:

For h264:

Make sure "Cyberlink h264 decoder" and "Vista Enhanced Video Renderer" is selected.

For mpeg2:

Make sure "Cyberlink Video SP decoder" /or "Microsoft mpeg2 decoder"/ and "Vista Enhanced Video Renderer"/or "VMR9" is selected.

Edited by ricabullah

THanks

I will work through that list this evening, however I notice "vista enhanced video renderer" - I do not have such a renderer available?

I have unchanged, overlay, VMR7 and VMR9 (Vista Ultimate version)

Any ideas?

Hi, here is a check list.

Check List for Vista:

Windows and DX:

Have you updated DX:

DX update

ForceWare drivers:

Have you installed 163.75 WHQL FW drivers.

BDA drivers:

(missing since it is unknown-i've just seen it is Twinhan)

H264 decoder:

Have you installed PowerDVD 7 Ultra's Cyberlink h264 AVC decoder(version 7.3 and later-current is .3516)?

DVBViewer Pro:

DVBViewer Settings:

Make sure "Use only first CPU" option box is unticked. (Settings Options Extended)

Make sure "Nvidia VMR fix" option box is ticked. (For VMR selection)

For h264:

Make sure "Cyberlink h264 decoder" and "Vista Enhanced Video Renderer" is selected.

For mpeg2:

Make sure "Cyberlink Video SP decoder" /or "Microsoft mpeg2 decoder"/ and "Vista Enhanced Video Renderer"/or "VMR9" is selected.

THanks

I will work through that list this evening, however I notice "vista enhanced video renderer" - I do not have such a renderer available?

I have unchanged, overlay, VMR7 and VMR9 (Vista Ultimate version)

Any ideas?

OK, then it means you are using XP since EVR comes with Vista.

(don't know why i thought you use Vista <_< )

Lets revize the check list:

Here is the check list.

Check List for XP Pro SP2:

Windows and DX:

Have you updated DX:

DX update

ForceWare drivers:

Have you installed 163.75 WHQL FW drivers.

FW 163.75 for XP

BDA drivers:

(sorry, i'm not experienced in Twinhan)

H264 decoder:

Have you installed PowerDVD 7 Ultra's Cyberlink h264 AVC decoder( version 7.3 and later-obligation -current is .3516)?

DVBViewer Pro:

DVBViewer Settings:

Make sure "Nvidia VMR fix" option box is ticked.

For h264:

Make sure "Cyberlink h264 decoder" and "VMR9" is selected.

For mpeg2:

Make sure "Cyberlink Video SP decoder" and "VMR9" is selected.

(For HD acceleration-under XP- Windows uses special apis. (Which is not DXVA2 working with EVR)

With VMR9 renderer, it takes 1-3 minutes to reach 50 fps. At the beginning you could see some dropped frames, but after some time-when you reached to 50fps- you will see no dropped frames left.

If you use Vista, this time you will be able to use EVR (and ofcourse DXVA2 as api) and you will see no dropped frames even at the beginning)

Edited by ricabullah

Thanks for your prompt replies. I AM using Vista. It is Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit but there is definitley no Vista renderer. Only:

UNCHANGED

OVERLAY

VMR7

VMR 9

Am I missing a component?

?????

Install Radlight Filter Manager from "members" section.

Right click on FilterManager.exe and "Run as admin"

Click DirectShowFilters.

Check out if there is "Enhanced Video Renderer"

Without EVR, you will never get HA for h264 under Vista.

(Previous versions of Pro didn't give EVR support, so we were using GE version which gives EVR support.

But starting from 3.9.1, Pro has started to give support to EVR.)

Edited by ricabullah

Yes it is there, but not in the list of available renderers in DVBViewer

?????

Install Radlight Filter Manager from "members" section.

Right click on FilterManager.exe and "Run as admin"

Click DirectShowFilters.

Check out if there is "Enhanced Video Renderer"

Without EVR, you will never get HA for h264 under Vista.

(Previous versions of Pro didn't give EVR support, so we were using GE version which gives EVR support.

But starting from 3.9.1, Pro has started to give support to EVR.)

I have re-installed Windows a number of times, and built a new PC from scratch recently and I have never had that renderer I am certain. I can try uninstalling but I am reluctant as this is a new build anyhow.

odd!

Uninstall DVBV, clean remains under CMUV.

And reinstall.

Try again.

Ok I uninstalled, downloaded the latest version and installed that and now I DO have the new renderer.

With CoreAVC the video keeps stopping and starting using the new renderer, and with Cyberlink the image has horizontal "choppy" lines through it and there is a little bit of "bounce" along the bottom edge. On overlay mixer both seem to work fine however with no jerkyness which is amazing as all I have changed is the version.

Any idea why the enhanced renderer isnt working for CoreAVC and why the Cyberlink decoder gives image flicker etc?

THanks so much for your help

Just give it a try.

Yes I am on that version. The framerate I am getting with the PowerDVD decoder is excellent and the video is very smooth. There is a bad flicker line horizontally across the middle of the screen as I said - but perhpas this is driver related.

Core AVC is now providing smooth playback also but only with the overlay mixer.

Still a massive improvement - thanks

Vista uses DXVA2 as i told before which is only available with EVR. These comes with media foundation.(first started being used with Vista)

Overlay and VMRs are parts of DirectShow which were coming with XP and they use DXVA1.

DXVA1 is not appropriate for h264 HD media. It is designed for mpeg2 SD and HD and wmv.

This is why you should use EVR under Vista.

Just start from the beginning and follow the check list, step by step.

Edited by ricabullah

Ok I worked through the check list and I am OK on all settings now except for the PowerDVD version. I am on 7.03 but only release 3104 so I will try and update this.

The distortion line I mentioned the other day when using the Viste Enhanced mixer has gone so I now have no issue with video quality. THe video is still a little glitchy though.

what should I do with the video settings inside power DVD? (such as smart de-interlacing etc?)

I am getting 0 dropped frames and around 50fps which is double what I got before, but thre vifeo still glitches etc on pans and scrolls

Thanks for feedback.

Here you will find the latest patch of Ultra:

.3516 Patch

Open PDVD.

Configuration > Video (check here if HA enabled) > Advanced > "perform hardware deinterlacing" leave it "auto-select" or you choose "bob" or "weave"

Edited by ricabullah
Configuration > Video (chech here if HA enabled) > Advanced > "perform hardware deinterlacing" leave it "auto-select" or you choose "bob" or "weave"

This IMHO only has an impact on PowerDVD playback but not on the decoders generally. Also I am not sure whether BOB has an impact if DXVA is enabled (certainly not if this BOB is performed in software, if DXVA is enabled deinterlacing can _only_ be performed in hardware resp. on GPU as well).

You are right CiNcH; i'm confused <_<

Open a recorded h264 or live broadcast with DVBViewer

view > Filters > Cyberlink h264 decoder.

you will reach decoder's Settings

Use DxVA must be ticked.

Video mode:

Leave it on "auto select"

Restart DVBViewer.

Edited by ricabullah

Hi upspace,

any idea on these mpeg2 issues?

Lets come to Ati.

In my opinion, Ati still hasn't achieved to solve FW problems.

Just installing FW is not sufficient by itself.

You have to make some boring registry tweaks.

Arfster prepared a tweak manual for this.

Just have a look at this

But you might not find out some words since it is for all models of cards.

I gave it a go with 2400Pro and 2600XT.

My experience results say with mpeg SD and HD (even after tweaks) you won't be happy ever.

These are the issues i met:

Stuttering or jitter

Pixelization

Bluring

Posterization (choose "bob")

Excessive sharpness

With E6600 and 2GB RAM, CPU utilization was %20-30 on mpeg2HD and less than 8600's consumption.

But with h264 broadcast i met with no problem except sharpness and CPU at % 10 and less.

I have also a setup of TT S2-3200, Dual Core Intel, ATI 2400XT, using DVBViewer. The 2400XT was the last piece of the media centre, had used on board graphics and 7300 before. I went for the 2400XT as was supposed to be better, but with Vista have found:

On SD content proc about 15% and GPU about 50%

On HD content proc about 65% to 80% (BBC or C4 HD) and GPU about 10%!

Alsoam getting a lot of problems with DVBViewer with HD content - maybe due to high proc load. Interestingy doesnt really matter what codec you use (Core, Cyberlink or ATI) - CPU is about the same.

Am about to switch back to XP MCE setup to see what differnece this makes. Have trawled web and its a bit inconclusive as to the current state f ATI cards, XP and HD content.Does anyone have a definitive view?

Guest upspace
I have also a setup of TT S2-3200, Dual Core Intel, ATI 2400XT, using DVBViewer. The 2400XT was the last piece of the media centre, had used on board graphics and 7300 before. I went for the 2400XT as was supposed to be better, but with Vista have found:

On SD content proc about 15% and GPU about 50%

On HD content proc about 65% to 80% (BBC or C4 HD) and GPU about 10%!

Alsoam getting a lot of problems with DVBViewer with HD content - maybe due to high proc load. Interestingy doesnt really matter what codec you use (Core, Cyberlink or ATI) - CPU is about the same.

Am about to switch back to XP MCE setup to see what differnece this makes. Have trawled web and its a bit inconclusive as to the current state f ATI cards, XP and HD content.Does anyone have a definitive view?

Try Catalyst 7.10. Works like a charm for my 2400 pro. Watching now 720p and 1080i hd material for days without any stuttering or crash. It works. It is not ATI's fault but probably your mobo etc.

BDA drivers 5.0.0.6, Ati FW 7.10; no problem with h264 broadcast with 2400 Pro (except sharpness), the problem is related with SD broadcast.

Edited by ricabullah
Try Catalyst 7.10. Works like a charm for my 2400 pro. Watching now 720p and 1080i hd material for days without any stuttering or crash. It works. It is not ATI's fault but probably your mobo etc.

...what cpu and gpu load are you seeing on 1080i content..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Im glad not to be alone with this problem. My system is

MB Asus P5B deluxe

CPU Intel C2D E6600

nVidia Geforce 8800GTS

WinTV HVR-4000 DVB-S2

Windows Vista HPremium 32bits

DVBViewer 3.9.2 and PushSource 3.0.1 version; last ones from the members area

Ciberlink H.264/AVC decoder (PCM45) - the one from Power Cinema

I was using a few second of TimeShift at first as a provisional solution to this issue. Then I decided

to increase the latency value on the DvB Source filter, which could make a similar effet.

Also tried the Vista Enhanced Video Renderer and that was a definitive solution,

in my system at least and for this jerking kind of problem. But I was noticing a strange

kind of noise on the picture plus other picture tearing-like disturbances with this renderer.

So I stayed so far with Overly Mixing, as before, and increasing the

latency of the DvB Source filter from 350 to 1400ms,

Maximum Queued Audio to 750 and

File to 300.

It may not be a correct way of handling the problem nor the best values, but I think I got a

decent compromise that works OK for my system, at the cost of about a 10 or 15% more of CPU use.

However I keep expectant for an ultimate solution, without forgetting about the Vista Enhanced Renderer since

I think that is the correct way to follow. In fact, I was trying this renderer even with all the beforementioned

values dropped to cero and got no jerking at all after a considerable time, which was rather significant.

The only cons I found were those I refered before.

If anyone has played more with those DvB Source parameters and found any better combination, please let me know.

By for now and cheers from Spain

Edited by mabruk
mabruk,

i'm sorry for saying 8800GTS was not the right choice for HA of DVB broadcast.

The new 8800 GT would work or elder 8600 GT or GTS.

Hello and thanks, ricabullah

May be that is the main problem or just one more of them. Anyway, I will have a 8600GTS

in a few days - from a friend of mine - and will give it a try.

I wonder what could be the HA+DvB broadcast issue with my 8800GTS that you mentioned. Please, tell me more about it. Thanks.

On the other one, I left the system working overnight on Premier HD using the DvBSource setting

I refered before and...this morning I found the jerking problem again, as before. However it was working perfect during hours the night before.

Anyway I have increased once more the DvBSource values, to 1600 - 800 - 400, and it was working well again this morning

for rather long time. I'll see how it goes on when I come back home, but if it is able to last ok for a few hours, it could be good for me so far since I dont think I could stay all that time without zapping.

Tested PDVD 7.3 Ultra with no different results

I noticed as well that the zoom function was not working for SD broadcast when using Vista Enhanced Video Render. And that's is important for me.

Thanks again and

Bye for now

I wonder what could be the HA+DvB broadcast issue with my 8800GTS that you mentioned. Please, tell me more about it

Hi, 8800 GTS is designed for 3D applications and doesn't have HA feature. So you can play games and make CAD drawings but not get HA activated with this card.

So it's normal you didn't see any difference with Ultra's decoder as well.

I noticed as well that the zoom function was not working for SD broadcast when using Vista Enhanced Video Render. And that's is important for me.

Yes unfortunately EVR is experimental for Pro for the time being. If you want to use this function with EVR try DVBV GE. Zoom is working on GE version.

Finally give it a go with 8600 GTS...

Best!

Edited by ricabullah
  • 1 month later...

Hi ricabullah,

I have already tried the 8600GT and 8600GTS graphics cards and didn't find any difference at all. The problem is still there.

Even more, I have been realising that there are two judder or jerking similar problems, apparently, instead of one as I was thinking in the beginning.

That is, the problem I was saying that I could correct by using the timeshift function or just recording the tv program and playing it later - which is the same thing - could be one of them and was solved by that way. The other problem is another way of picture vibration - when the camera is panning, above all - that is not affected at all by the way referred before. I thought it was the same as the previous one but the other day I was watching a football match on Premier HD and that was terrible even when it was recorded. Up to the point that I had to stop watching it in order not to get completely dizzy. Before that I had been watching a few HD films, with rather slow motion, and the problem was more difficult to note even if it was there.

On the graphic card front and in relation with your comment about my 8800GTS, I think that you were completely right. In fact, I was testing it on DVBViewer by applying HA to HD and HA to SD and I noticed - by using riva tuner - an inmediate increase of card temp with the second test and none with the first. And even more,,, I was playing the game "Need For Speed Carbon" with the MSI 8600GTS card and it worked a lot better and smoother than my ASUS 8800GTS. Rather strange since after that I was testing both cards with 3DMark and mine scored about double compared to the 8600GTS. How can be explained??? I tried with other games and saw no difference between both cards performance. The only difference was, sadly, on 3DMark.

Last year, when Astra was advertising HD on 19.2ºEst and 12610Mhz transponder they did it on DVB-S and Mpeg-2 instead of DVB-S2 and H.264, and I remember that the picture I was getting was absolutelly superb in all senses. It showed no problem at all on either slow or fast motion pictures. I was also receiving it with a normal DVB-S TV card, of course.

But now, HD using Mpeg-4 or H.264 compression is a complete nightmare and have nothing to do with graphic cards at all, on my system at least and according to my experience.

Anyway, I suppose that a conventional HD SAT receiver like Humax, for example, would be able to deliver a proper HD picture. And, on the same basis, Power Cinema would probably do the same since this software is officially supporting the WinTv HVR-4000 card, which is the one I use. By the way, I was unable, so far, to even tune any HD channel with this combination, thus I was also unable to test the Cyberlink H.264 decoder on the Power Cinema enviroment.

Then I have now just a few conclusive questions:

Have you, or anyone else, watched a perfect HD motion picture - or like on SD channels at least - on

Humax HD or similar receiver?

Cyberlink Power Cinema?

DVBViewer?

Other Viewers?

Thank you again for your help

Cheers

Hi mabruk,

No problem here with live h264 broadcast.

My hardware is hundred percent same with yours except DVB card.

If you are using Cyberlink Ultra decoder and still you can not get HA, there might be a problem with your DVB card drivers; i don't know.

I use DVBV 3.9.2 and DVBV GE 2.4.4 without any problem with my 8600 GTS.

It is normal you can easily watch mpeg2 HD broadcast with your first generation 8800GTS since it supports PureVideo1.

For PV2 which brings HA support for h264HD you need to use 8600 GT or GTS or new generation 8800GT or 8800 GTS 512...

I 've watched HD with a receiver as well.

I prefer to watch with my HTPC, BTW.

Edited by ricabullah
  • 4 months later...

I too notice horizontal lines during the playback of recorded hd material.. stuttering audio also.. Both audio and video are fine during realtime play, seem sto only happen when watching a recording, which suggests it is an encoding issue...

I watch all sorts of HD material, VC-1, MKV.. upto 1080p, and have never noticed this before.. so I know my hardware is up to spec... playback wiht all other sources has always been fine...

I have re-installed Windows a number of times, and built a new PC from scratch recently and I have never had that renderer I am certain. I can try uninstalling but I am reluctant as this is a new build anyhow.

odd!

I use a TWINHAN (Azurewave DVB-S2) with an ATI. My ATI is HD3870 512 DDR4. I am new to most of this but I get quite a decent picture on BBC HD. I also Have Virgin+ so when I compare the 2 screens they are more or less identical.

I had a few issues with blurring but that was before I paid for DVBViewer a couple of days ago.

I have recently downloaded the microsoft patch for

"The video playback application stops responding when you watch video or Live TV on a Windows Vista-based computer"

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/951685

Frank