DVB Viewer v3.9.10 & Subtitle/Closed Caption Questions

antdude

So, I finally upgraded (into the same folder/directory, did not uninstall v3.5.0) my DVBViewer v3.5.0 to the latest version 3.9.10 during my downtime and when nothing is on to record and watch (didn't want to risk breaking something -- I actually did because the newer version couldn't find my card [it forgot my channels -- import my list fixed it]). I like it overall for the DTV stuff. I am happy with the working closed caption/subtitle from ASTC feeds. I have questions about it:

1. KNBC4 (Los Angeles, CA, USA) gives me both English and Spanish for subtitle/CC even though I don't have Spanish set. It seems to overlap each other and hard to read. I was watching a Tonight Show With Jay Leno rerun (blame the WGA strike). Is this a bug? Other channels seem OK so far.

2. How come I can't play back recorded MPG with subtitle/CC even if I enabled it during recordings? I also don't see any way to have text recordings of them in the text files. Or is that option unavailable? I have Media Player Classic v6.4.9.1 with the latest non-prerelease K-Lite Codec Full Pack, and it doesn't seem to load subtitle/CC from TimeShift/TS files. Is it only for DVBViewer or can other third party players do it?

3. Why is it everytime I change channel or even pick the same channel, I lose my closed caption/subtitle? I have to turn it on again. Quite annoying!

4. Is there a hot key for CC to enable and disable to avoid mouse usage?

Thank you in advance. :bounce:

Edited by antdude
So, I finally upgraded my DVBViewer v3.5.0 to the latest version 3.9.10 during my downtime and when nothing is on to record and watch (didn't want to risk breaking something -- I actually did because the newer version couldn't find my card [it forgot my channels -- import my list fixed it]). I like it overall for the DTV stuff. I am happy with the working closed caption/subtitle. I have questions about it:

1. KNBC4 (Los Angeles, CA, USA) gives me both English and Spanish for subtitle/CC even though I don't have Spanish set. It seems to overlap each other and hard to read. I was watching a Tonight Show With Jay Leno rerun (blame the WGA strike). Is this a bug? Other channels seem OK so far.

2. How come I can't play back recorded MPG with subtitle/CC even if I enabled it during recordings? I also don't see any way to have text recordings of them in the text files. Or is that option unavailable? I have Media Player Classic v6.4.9.1 with the latest non-prerelease K-Lite Codec Full Pack, and it doesn't seem to load subtitle/CC from TimeShift/TS files. Is it only for DVBViewer or can other third party players do it?

3. Why is it everytime I change channel or even pick the same channel, I lose my closed caption/subtitle? I have to turn it on again. Quite annoying!

4. Is there a hot key for CC to enable and disable to avoid mouse usage?

Thank you in advance. :)

Strange indeed

I'm a new dvbV adept so excuse my ignorance

The only thing i can say is subtitles for files (mpg, avi etc...) works great with me i have DVBViewer latest version

Also today i have noticed since i have enabled the option "remember audio volume for each chan" that once i'm on a channel i get the same audio channel ( english) instead of the normal one german than when i left (shutdown the pc) last night. So that's great news

Subtitles also work (again) when i zap back to a channel

That's all i can say

I only have some recordings from bay area and they only contain english captions. Can you provide a .ts test stream for us? This would be really useful.

Christian

I only have some recordings from bay area and they only contain english captions. Can you provide a .ts test stream for us? This would be really useful.

Christian

Here you go:http://download.yousendit.com/A308E9332DC12745 (zipped 10 MB TS file from a David Letterman rerun; expires in less than 7 days).

Are*.mpg recordings supposed to show CC/subtitles in DVBViewer? How about third party players with both *.TS and *.MPG? Let me know if you want more quick recordings to upload.

Edited by antdude

Technically it should be parsed automaticly if you enable the feature under options->EPG/Teletext->Subtitles.

I changed the parser in the 3.9, because i did not found any reliable test file with more than just a single english caption.

Christian

PS: Can you provide a longer file which plays at least a minute? All i got is:

>> ARE YOU FROM KIMMEL?

>> NO. THE BOURNE IDENTITY.

>> ARE YOU FROM KIMMEL?

>> NO.

>> WHAT. NOW.

Technically it should be parsed automaticly if you enable the feature under options->EPG/Teletext->Subtitles.

I changed the parser in the 3.9, because i did not found any reliable test file with more than just a single english caption.

Christian

PS: Can you provide a longer file which plays at least a minute? All i got is:

>> ARE YOU FROM KIMMEL?

>> NO. THE BOURNE IDENTITY.

>> ARE YOU FROM KIMMEL?

>> NO.

>> WHAT. NOW.

I did look at options->EPG/Teletext->Subtitles last night. Was there specific settings I am supposed to use for ATSC? Lots of them were technical to me. I will take a screen capture of it later tonight (at work now) and get you an one minute recording (going to be big). Also, do I record in TS again? Or use MPG? Do you know where I can upload that has a big host for free? I hope to get your answers by tonight.

Also, how were you able to view closed caption/subtitle from the video files? I'd love to view and export them too.

Edited by antdude

I know there are a lot of settings, but in your case all you need is to check the checkbox like in the picture below:

options.png

Concerning the subtitles: They appear inside the video stream as sub pictures and unluckily not synchroneous. Which means you have to synchronize video and streams and i did not found more than just the english captions inside. TS as output format is fine, but mpeg would also do its job :)

Christian

I know there are a lot of settings, but in your case all you need is to check the checkbox like in the picture below:

post-1-1198007174_thumb.png

Concerning the subtitles: They appear inside the video stream as sub pictures and unluckily not synchroneous. Which means you have to synchronize video and streams and i did not found more than just the english captions inside. TS as output format is fine, but mpeg would also do its job :)

Christian

OK, here's my plan for tonight if I am not busy:

1. Check my DVBViewer settings again to match your attachment's screen capture.

2. Record TS and MPG (one minute each) of something with closed caption/subtitles to share. Will try to capture Jay Leno one after 11:30 PM PST since that was the one that showed me English and Spanish merged together. It was SO weird last night!

As for subtitles inside video files, I am OK with the timing. I just want to read it. :blushing:

Thanks and i'm interested in the closed captions :)
NP. I will porbably use yousendit.com again. I don't want to make my upload sizes too big since my upload speed is small (256 Kb/sec). :blushing:
Thanks and i'm interested in the closed captions :)
OK, I noticed something. I don't think it is foreign languages. It looks like typos actually (corrupted texts) even if the signal strengths are high or 100%. I will be posting a 237 MB file (will take about 1.25 hours to upload!!). It has both TS and MPG files with about a minute each I hope I don't have to do that again) and YouSendIt does not accept 100+ MB file. :blushing:
OK, I noticed something. I don't think it is foreign languages. It looks like typos actually (corrupted texts) even if the signal strengths are high or 100%. I will be posting a 237 MB file (will take about 1.25 hours to upload!!). It has both TS and MPG files with about a minute each I hope I don't have to do that again) and YouSendIt does not accept 100+ MB file. :)
OK, tonight's Jay Leno rerun does show Spanish again. I don't know why this one shows it and not the stations. Maybe NBC sends both for their late night shows? I will upload a minute video file later. Oy, this will be a long night in uploading. :blushing: Edited by antdude
OK, tonight's Jay Leno rerun does show Spanish again. I don't know why this one shows it and not the stations. Maybe NBC sends both for their late night shows? I will upload a minute video file later. Oy, this will be a long night in uploading. :)
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=7vdk5cv6bvc (117 MB; TS file with no audio playing in DVBViewer when playing back, but works in Media Player Classic from K-Lite Codec Full Pack; has closed caption/subtitle with both Spanish and English) for the download. Edited by antdude

Good news first: Audio is now working :) I have to discuss this with Griga and Lars first, but i think its okay in the way i repaired this.

The next step is to get in touch with the closed captions - i keep you informed.

Christian

Yay :)

leno.jpg

It works - and i plan to add the option for automaticly adding the

NTSC line 21 field 1 closed captions and

NTSC line 21 field 2 closed captions if they send more than just one closed caption.

Christian

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=7vdk5cv6bvc (117 MB; TS file with no audio playing in DVBViewer when playing back, but works in Media Player Classic from K-Lite Codec Full Pack; has closed caption/subtitle with both Spanish and English) for the download.
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=z4dlqfvrr4f for the other one (237 MB). Both had closed caption/subtitles enabled. Edited by antdude

post-1-1198064730_thumb.jpg

NTSC line 21 field 2 closed captions if they send more than just one closed caption.

Christian

Awesome, let me know when the new version is out for me to use. I can't use this version due to problems (no audio sometimes). I am sure I will find more problems when I use the new version. So, wjhy did I have no audio in this newer version compared to older ones (T.E. and v3.5.0)? Did you change something with the audio engine?

I just uploaded another file (sorry for being late, fell asleep). :)

And I have not tried watching videos with CC/subtitles on TV. I hope it works. I will probably try it on the weekend or so. Does it work for anyone? Just curious.

In Australia it works fine with broadcast digital TV, both live and recorded .ts, both standard and high definition format. It is one of the key features that attracted me to DVBViewer. Very nice that you can select font and size.

However, in Australia they usually only broadcast English language subtitles. The subtitles are in the broadcast stream as teletext. You can extract the text file when demuxing using ProjectX.

Yes Australia combines the good old dvb-t with hdtv mpeg2 content. The subtitles in australia are teletext based (maybe also dvb subtitles, but i dont have any test stream which contain them), but ATSC has only those subpictures inside the video streams.

Christian

Yes Australia combines the good old dvb-t with hdtv mpeg2 content. The subtitles in australia are teletext based (maybe also dvb subtitles, but i dont have any test stream which contain them), but ATSC has only those subpictures inside the video streams.
Let me know if you need any more recordings. Just be sure I don't make the files too big since my upload speed is pathetic.
You can extract the text file when demuxing using ProjectX.
Thanks. I will check out tha tool. It would be nice if DVBViewer could implement a way to record transcript into a text file like ATI's MultiMedia Center (MMC) does. We can worry about that later. Let's get the ATSC CC/subtitles working correctly. :)

should work - at least with the test binary i sent to you an hour ago :)

Christian

PS: Please also check the epg data - which is partially provided by atsc.

should work - at least with the test binary i sent to you an hour ago :)

Christian

PS: Please also check the epg data - which is partially provided by atsc.

Where did you send it? I hope not my e-mail address with a big attachment because my e-mail service doesn't support big attachments.

I will look at EPG data. I rarely use that, but I did see it working in v3.9.10.

Where did you send it? I hope not my e-mail address with a big attachment because my e-mail service doesn't support big attachments.

I will look at EPG data. I rarely use that, but I did see it working in v3.9.10.

I just got the e-mail. I will check it out later. Thanks.

post-1-1198064730_thumb.jpg

Christian

OK Christian, this worked. So what is subtitles #3 and #4? I saw nothing. Is that normal? I guess it works fine now from my last night's recording.

I am still having a lack of audio with .MPG recordings on KTTV and found another one. You can see my bug report in http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...mp;gopid=170183

Edited by antdude
In Australia it works fine with broadcast digital TV, both live and recorded .ts, both standard and high definition format. It is one of the key features that attracted me to DVBViewer. Very nice that you can select font and size.

However, in Australia they usually only broadcast English language subtitles. The subtitles are in the broadcast stream as teletext. You can extract the text file when demuxing using ProjectX.

I tried using this ProjectX tool. How the heck do I use it? I couldn't even find the play button. :)

Yes Field 3-4 are DTVCC_PACKET_DATA resp. DTVCC_PACKET_START (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-708) i just enabled it in your version in order to figure out if there is something transmitted :) But in the official release it will be removed. The workaround is not final and Griga resp. Lars put a veto since there the fix can cause problems with other recordings :)

@dezzy: Your subtitles are pages from the teletext:

australia.jpg

austext.png

It is equal to the system in europe and i'm quite sure there are some explanations in the projectx forum resp. in our encoding subsection.

Christian

I tried using this ProjectX tool. How the heck do I use it? I couldn't even find the play button. :)

You can extract some screen shots that show you how to set up PX for Australian use. You would need to play around with the setup to suit your particular conditions.

http://www.pvr-tools.com/netmask/ProjectX_Screenshots.zip

PX is used to extract the elements from a video stream (video, sound tracks, subtitles) and to correct errors in the broadcast stream. You can then recombine the bits you want say using a DVD author program or you can produce a clean new Transport Stream file. The key function would be for you to examine the elements that are included in your video file container.

PS I should add that the Topfield .rec files mentioned in the screen shots document are very similar to .ts files.

Edited by dezzy
You can extract some screen shots that show you how to set up PX for Australian use. You would need to play around with the setup to suit your particular conditions.

http://www.pvr-tools.com/netmask/ProjectX_Screenshots.zip

PX is used to extract the elements from a video stream (video, sound tracks, subtitles) and to correct errors in the broadcast stream. You can then recombine the bits you want say using a DVD author program or you can produce a clean new Transport Stream file. The key function would be for you to examine the elements that are included in your video file container.

PS I should add that the Topfield .rec files mentioned in the screen shots document are very similar to .ts files.

I played with it more, looked at the screen shots, and still confused on this program. Is there another program that isn't so complex just to view and extract ALL subtitles/CC?
OK Christian, this worked. So what is subtitles #3 and #4? I saw nothing. Is that normal? I guess it works fine now from my last night's recording.
I watched a live Jay Leno rerun and English and Spanish subtitles/CC were good! ;)

Just a follow-up with the last few days of recording and watching my recordings with TimeShift mode. CC/Subtitles seem to work. Sometimes, it gets desynched for a few minutes but gets back in shape. I see this happen in analog feeds on my old CRT TV so I guess that's normal? At least it's a lot better than the earlier versions.

For EPG data, it seems to work. Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes because of "no data". I guess this is normal too?

Unluckily yes - the data is transmitted in a stupid way, but if you installed the service it should become available faster. The service takes the device in background and parses for epg information.

Christian

Unluckily yes - the data is transmitted in a stupid way, but if you installed the service it should become available faster. The service takes the device in background and parses for epg information.

Christian

What's the name of the service? I don't see any DVBViewer listed in mine. EPG isn't that important to me so I don't need it badly. :rolleyes:

Also, I finally tried the fullcreen display on my old 20" CRT TV. I tried the subtitles/CC, but it didn't show on my TV. Why? ;)

First select VMR9 as output, then everything should work fine on your display too. The service can be downloaded from our members section. The installation process is quite simple and explained in the readme.txt. The nice thing is that you dont have to keep the DVBViewer running, if you plan to record a transmission.

Christian

First select VMR9 as output, then everything should work fine on your display too.
That didn't work. I even tried VMR7. I get no subtitles/CC on my old 4:3 20" CRT TV (10+ years old; 640x480) at all (even DVBViewer's GUI). :(

Another problem. When I use VMR (7 or 9) and fullscreen (doesn't matter if I am using clone mode, dual view mode, or single mode in NVIDIA's control panel), I get corrupted and shrunken video with its wrong aspect ratio in fullscreen on my primary screen (19" 4:3 LCD monitor at 1280x1024).

FYI, I am using a NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB; PCIe) with the latest drivers (169.21). I have had this problem weith previous driver and DVBViewer Pro versions too. I see the newer ones still have the same problems. :( I have to use overlay mixer setting in DirectX to avoid corruptions in fullscreen.

I posted screen shots showing the problems. DirectX settings one (green box to cover my buddy list in Trillian :)) is attached and http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5646/kn...ruptedsdzs7.gif for the corrupted symptoms.

Edited by antdude
Ah! I just found VMR Fix option to fix the corruption! Now, I can use VMR 9 (didn't try 7). However, still no subtitles/CC on my old TV. :)

VMR is nice! Faster too!

I found a weird glitch which doesn't seem right with VMR9 and VMR fix.

In fullscreen, hitting pause in timeshift and playback mode makes the screen black for a second and then go to 4:3 fullscreen instead of 16:9 fullscreen. Why is that? I never had that happen with overlay mixer without VMR fix.

Edited by antdude