timeshift + STOP from remote

patti

Please, include a "use old style timeshift" checkbox in future versions so that users can choose how STOP button behaves in timeshift. STOP button currently stops timeshift but plays the timeshifted show to the end while in earlier versions STOP stopped timeshift and returned to live feed. The latter seems more rational and logical. "Tune last channel" function is annoying to use since it always asks "do you want to stop timeshift etc." Plain STOP is enough for most of us.

Edited by patti
Guest upspace

my 50 cents. i also prefer the old style timeshift behaviour. stop means stop and not play to the end. don't make things too technical please. always ask yourself the question how do i explain it my wife... look honey when you press stop actually it plays to the end, then you have to press another button... cmon nobody understands this.

do i keep repeating myself about ergonomics in DVBViewer? yes! but i always get workarounds back as answers. nobody of the developers / moderators seem to see any valid reason for our request and from reading the forum i see many such request in different areas (timeshift behaviour, cursor navigation, channel gaps etc.)

My suggestion for the stop button on your remote: learn "stop graph" to it. This will stop timeshift, videos, DVDs, and live TV.

Yes, this is a workarround. And yes, things are evolving quite slow in DVBViewer when it comes to ergonomics... that is why I keep posting working workarrounds. ;)

My suggestion for the stop button on your remote: learn "stop graph" to it. This will stop timeshift, videos, DVDs, and live TV.

Yes, this is a workarround. And yes, things are evolving quite slow in DVBViewer when it comes to ergonomics... that is why I keep posting working workarrounds. :bye:

Thanks for this suggestion but stop graph does not return you back to live TV after timeshift like old school STOP did. As far as I am concerned I see that this "stop timeshift but play to the end" should be the one to map to an extra button on your remote, not the industry standard "stop timeshift and return to live feed".

Your Rebuild Graph suggestion works best so far but you cannot bind it to STOP button as it does not work for divx videos for example. It needs to be mapped to another key while the industry standard STOP worked for multiple purposes. Needless to say, there are only a limited number of buttons in remotes, so a universal STOP is best. Besides, how many commercial digital set top boxes have "stop and play to the end" timeshift stop buttons?

So please, developers, put this industry standard "stop timeshift and return to live feed" back to the code as an alternative to this new timeshift. Needless to say, but I say it anyway so you don't think that I am otherwise dissatisfied with the program: DVBViewer rocks ;)

P

• 1 month later...

This feature request has been nicely implemented in version 3.9.2.0. Pressing stop once stops timeshift recording and pressing stop one more time stops timeshift completely :blink: Thank you ;)

• 1 month later...
This feature request has been nicely implemented in version 3.9.2.0. Pressing stop once stops timeshift recording and pressing stop one more time stops timeshift completely :) Thank you :bounce:

Yes, and event better wouldt be:

STOP 1st time -> play timeshift to the ende and go automatically to life feed

STOP 2nd time -> go immediately to life feed (loosing timeshift stream)

Well this "loosing timeshift stream" is another point which is worth thinking about improving the timeshift behavior: From my point of view it is just to easy to loose a timeshifted stream by accidently

- "STOP:STOP->life feed"

or even just

- zapping to another channel

I know you can get the warning message "Timeshift is active, You really want to go to another channel?". But to be honest this message just bugs and I am sure most people turn it off. I also know timeshift streams can be kept, being able to whatch them later via "Video"-playback, but having a few parts of the same show is to complicated to playback.

My feature request wouldt be:

It wouldt be greate to have a timebar like this if You go back to a channel which has had some timeshift recoding before:

════(old_timeshift_part1)══════════[--------]═════════(old_time_shift_part2)═════════[--------------------]═════════(now_life_feed)════╣ etc

[------] -> no data because of zapping

An option to limit this to e.g. 120min wouldt help not having parts of yesterday ;-) in the timebar...