DVBviewer freezes with BBC HD

Gavincol78

I am currently evaulating a copy of DVBViewer 3.9.0.0 for use with my Pinnacle Sat Pro PCI and it is working great, better then the Pinnacle TVCenter software but I have got 1 problem and that is when I try to watch BBC HD it will play the channel but after a few minutes it would freeze DVBViewer but the other free HD channel I have LUXE TV HD works no problem.

I have got various codecs installed but here is my hardware setup

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

2Gb 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2

512Mb ATI X1650 Pro

Pinnacle Sat Pro PCI (this is not the Pro Dual)

Your CPU is not fast enough. Luxe TV has half the bit rate of BBC HD so that explains why that can be viewed OK. If your video card does H.264 hardware acceleration then the only CODEC that takes advantage of this is Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.

Your CPU is not fast enough. Luxe TV has half the bit rate of BBC HD so that explains why that can be viewed OK. If your video card does H.264 hardware acceleration then the only CODEC that takes advantage of this is Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.

Here is the details of the video accleration taken direct from Sapphire's website:

Video acceleration of :MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264

As for my CPU I had been advised that my CPU should be ok for HDTV playback. The only problem I seem to be getting now is the audio/video sync seems to be off which IMHO seems to be directed towards codec problems

What renderer, what OS are you using?

I have tweek my rendering settings and I think I have sorted it I have adjusted to the following

Video Render = Overlay Mixer

Audio Renderer = Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

MPEG2 Video Decoder = Nero Video Decoder HD

H.264 Video Decoder = CoreAVC Video Decoder

MPEG Audio Decoder = AC3Filter

MPEG AC3 Decoder = AC3Filter

Windows XP sp2 with latest Video and Audio drivers

and now it seems to work better

Edited by Gavincol78

Please have a look at this:

Check list for XP

It's sure you have to change nVidia driver with ati's newest one.

But let me tell you the VGA card you are using does not support AVIVO HD; you should upgrade it.

Edited by ricabullah
Please have a look at this:

Check list for XP

It's sure you have to change nVidia driver with ati's newest one.

But let me tell you the VGA card you are using does not support AVIVO HD; you should upgrade it.

I know you say that my GPU doesn't support AVIVO HD (I think you might be wrong about that heres a direct link to the gpu I have http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/pr...d=162&grp=3 ) But thanks to the tweeking I done with the various codecs I have I have been able to watch this evening Pirates of the Carribean on BBC HD with AC3 and did not have any sync problems nor any crashes. The bitrate I was getting was around 16.5 Mbs along with 5.1 AC3 sound.

Avivo Video and Display Platform

High performance programmable video processor

Accelerated MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264 decoding and transcoding

DXVA support

It says DXVA, not DXVA2 support, which means just Avivo not AvivoHD as far as i understood.

Real HD support comes with 2*** series.

Like the difference between 7*** and 8*** series Nvidias.

For more info:

AVIVO

Edited by ricabullah
It says DXVA, not DXVA2 support, which means just Avivo not AvivoHD as far as i understood.

Real HD support comes with 2*** series.

Like the difference between 7*** and 8*** series Nvidias.

For more info:

AVIVO

As far as I am aware AVIVO and AVIVO HD is only applicable for output to a TV via the TV out, DVI out to a HDTV or HDMI. The 2 main difference between AVIVO and AVIVO HD are that the AVIVO HD contains HDCP for both DVI/HDMI ports and also allows 5.1 sound to a HDTV.

DXVA and DXVA2 are software based built in to DirectX, DXVA is in Windows XP and DXVA2 is in Windows Vista (built in to DirectX 10 only)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXVA and for arguement sake DXVA2 is only supported in DirectX10 based hardware and software.

As far as I am aware AVIVO and AVIVO HD is only applicable for output to a TV via the TV out, DVI out to a HDTV or HDMI. The 2 main difference between AVIVO and AVIVO HD are that the AVIVO HD contains HDCP for both DVI/HDMI ports and also allows 5.1 sound to a HDTV.

DXVA and DXVA2 are software based built in to DirectX, DXVA is in Windows XP and DXVA2 is in Windows Vista (built in to DirectX 10 only)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXVA and for arguement sake DXVA2 is only supported in DirectX10 based hardware and software.

With 1*** series on XP, DXVA1 is active. In this case, GPU HA is partial in decoding process which means most of the job is still over CPU.

With 2*** or 3*** series on XP, this time AVIVO HD uses special apis instead of DXVA2(on Vista DXVA2 is used)

This hardware decoding acceleration with IDTC, CAVLC/CABAC means all decoding job is over GPU anymore.

Here you will find white papers on AVIVO1 and 2:

here

Edited by ricabullah