libfaad2 Wrapper Filter

Griga

The libfaad2 Wrapper DirectShow Filter 1.0.0 Beta is available in the members area, beta section. It enables DVBViewer to play the type of AAC audio that is used for Norwegian/NZ DVB-T.

Please note:

- You'll need up-to-date DVBViewer and DVBViewer Filter versions, plus an additional file to make it work. Read the included ReadMe!

- The filter proved to work well with TS samples from Norway, but has not been tested yet with live playback.

- The filter is a beta version and not a fully fledged AAC decoder. Its main purpose is to cover basic DVB requirements. So don't expect too much...

Please give us feedback here!

<edit>

The current stable version 1.2 (executable binary) is available in the members area, plugins section. Downloading it from DVBViewer.com requires purchasing DVBViewer Pro.

The Delphi 7 source code (only useful for programmers) has been released under the GPL and can be downloaded from here.

</edit>

Edited by Griga

Hi,

Thanks for the wrapper!!

You guys will probaly be every DVB-T PC user in Norway best friend!!!

My test seams to work just fine here, but because I have a litle week signals tonight, I can not confirm how stable it is, but so far I have not notest any differences in memory, cpu usage or sound quality compared to Terretec's provided codec.

I have tested on:

WinXP SP2

DvbViwer 3.9.1

Dvb Sourcefilter 2.9.2

Latest PowerDVD Ultra codecs

ATI HD 2400 Pro.

Hauppauge HVR 4000

/Digi

Hi

Have just seen the news and downloaded. Most of the time DVBViewer just stoops working and no sound. Once it works fine with sound. (it looks as it has problem to sync the sound) Will try to test more tomorrow evening. I am using vista on a laptop. What info is interested when it do not work? Signal-strength is almost 100%. Before it was running fine, stable picture but no sound. Using latest DVBViewer and sourcefilter.

rgds

Hi

Most of the time DVBViewer just stoops working and no sound. Once it works fine with sound. (it looks as it has problem to sync the sound) Will try to test more tomorrow evening. I am using vista on a laptop. What info is interested when it do not work? Signal-strength is almost 100%. Before it was running fine, stable picture but no sound. Using latest DVBViewer and sourcefilter.

rgds

Hi,

After I did more testing lastnight I can confirm the same behavor here, but I get the same result with unstable picture and sound when changing channel on DVB-T MPEG-4 part on my HVR 4000.

I did some more testing, and edited my channels and did set all audio to MPEG, but the same result with out sound of cource.

I then unregistered the DvbSource 2.9.2 and registered 2.9.1, this filter seams like it's give me a litle bit more stable picture, I then edited my channels again and and set the audio back to AAC, and now I'm able to watch the Norwegian channels with AAC sound and DvbSource 2.9.1 with libfaad2 wrapper, go figgure?

However it's still hard to change channel, the picture often looks unstable, I did asume it was week signals, but if I close the graph and re select the same channel I get a stable picture and sound so long I do not change channel the picture and sound keep running just fine.

P.S! I'm sorry I did not report this earlier, I just was sure it was week tv signals, and it still might be part of my problems, since I do not trust the signal rate, it says 95%.

/Digi

/Digi

Edited by digidigi
However it's still hard to change channel, the picture often looks unstable, I did asume it was week signals, but if I close the graph and re select the same channel I get a stable picture and sound

Maybe the state transitions on a channel change have to be handled more carefully in the wrapper - I'll have a look at it. Please untick Options -> TV & Radio -> Fast Channel Switching (which will cause a Rebuild Graph on each channel change) and report what it does.

Maybe the state transitions on a channel change have to be handled more carefully in the wrapper - I'll have a look at it. Please untick Options -> TV & Radio -> Fast Channel Switching (which will cause a Rebuild Graph on each channel change) and report what it does.

Yes, it did help some, but still crash some times...

Do you want me to keep try on dvbsource filter 2.9.1 or 2.9.2?

Rather 2.9.2, since 2.9.1 has two or three AAC bugs.

What about radio channel switching? Just to make sure that it isn't the video decoder causing trouble.

It is the same with radio channels as well.

I also changed to DVBSource 2.9.2.

However, I disabled hardware decoding in Cyberlink h.264 filter, and DVBViewer/windows does not crash..yet anyway.

But still more or less the same result, It seams like it is a sync problem, and the Bitrate on the status bar come and go and also keep changing dramaticly from nothing to 1.5 MB all the way up to 4 MB, and sometime the channels newer "lock".

So about the crashes, Cyberlink Hardware support clearly need a "perfect" stream.

After I edit the channels and set mpeg audio and disabled HW decoding on Cyberlink h.264, it changing channels as a dream but with no audio of cource, hope this info helps you.

Edited by digidigi

Ok, try version 1.0.1 of the libfaad2 wrapper (see members area -> beta section).

I tried to simulate channel change with a transponder dump from Norway (switching between different audio streams in the file). The app didn't crash, but sometimes I got nasty digital noise on switching, which told me that something is not ok. After checking the procedure that was supposed to reset the decoder library and flush all buffers on a channel change or other kinds of discontinuities I found that it never got called. :)

So I added the missing (and a more profound) discontinuity handling in version 1.0.1, and the digital noise was gone. Dunno if it solves your problem... try.

Another hint on the availability of libfaad2 compilations, guess that most up-to-date versions can be found within the ffdshow tryouts packages.

Thanks for the hint. I didn't know that I already had that dll on my hard disk. Seems to work... it would be nice if ffdshow could decode the Norwegian AAC. However, it doesn't seem to be able to understand and parse the LOAS/LATM packaging of the AAC data (that's what the libfaad2 wrapper does). The ffdshow input pin doesn't offer the according media type. If one of the ffdshow progammers happens to drop by here, please contact me via PM.

The sync seams to work much bether with libfaad2 wrapper 1.1.

I'm now able to switch channels useal on first try.

However it takes 10-13 seconds to change channel, when I set the channel to MPEG audio it take 1-2 seconds to change channel.

It did also take 10-13 seconds to change channel with Cyberlink (Terratec) codes, so could it be in the DvbSource?

Anyway thanks for your effort to solve this we are so close now, it would be interesting to hear from other users as well.

/Digi

Edited by Griga

Finally sound in norwegian DVB-t! Thank you very much for your efforts! :tongue:

I can generally confirm digidigi's reports: changing channels takes som seconds during which there is no or stuttering sound. This could be improved by registering libfaad2wrapper 1.0.1 beta but still is not solved in total. DVBViewer uses around 55% of my cpu's power.

Yet, I can't say much about radio. At my place, the area of two transmitters is overlapping and it seems that I actually only can take in radio signals from the weaker one which gives an overall unstable and stuttering sound.

Hi

Have now downloaded wrapper 1.0.1 and no crach today. Have changed tv-channel several times and it works It may take some time before I get the sound, a few times over a min, but now we have sound. Many thanks for nice work.

rgds

It did also take 10-13 seconds to change channel with Cyberlink (Terratec) codes

Well, that's normal for the Cyberlink (known issue), but not for the libfaad2 wrapper. Here simulated channel switching between two radio channels from the transponder dump just takes 1 second, technically resembling a channel change on the same transponder (same frequency) with Options -> TV + Radio -> Fast Channel Switching ticked. Check View -> Filters and make sure that the wrapper is listed there.

DVBViewer uses around 55% of my cpu's power.

Most likely caused by H.264 video decoding. That would be normal for H.264 SD (720 x 576).

It may take some time before I get the sound, a few times over a min

Way too much! :tongue: I can't imagine why.

Finally got a chance to test this solution. Testing on a "TerraTec Cinergy T USB XS". Can just confirm the experience already told in above posts. I went right to the 1.0.1 beta wrapper. No crashes. When it works it works perfect. Only nag is the 'random' delay (5-45sec) for audio to kick in. But when it first starts, it works. But before that there is 'stutter/hangs' in video, like the whole solution is working hard to catch the correct sync or something.

But hell, this good result in so short time. I'm impressed. Good work, and my thanks :tongue:

Tell if there are any logs/debugs you would like. Cannot be easy testing this remote :P

Hello,

Most of my problems is gone, it was related to cyberlink!!!!

I suspect when I installed Latest Terratec wich use a own version of cyberlink as well, it also did something with the Cyberlink PowerDVD provided codecs.

It was not enough to uninstall all Terratec related Applications and Drivers, I also manual unregistered all teratec codecs, and It did not show up as an option, but it did still not help.

My solution was to uninstall all codecs I had installed included ATI and PowerDVD.

I then rebooted and re-Installed PowerDVD 7.3 and the the latest Patches to PowerDVD.

Voila! now it takes 1-3 seconds to change channel, I still get unstabile picture sometimes but that is related to Cyberlink Codec (rebuild graph fix it for a few minutes).

I still have some problems with a few radio channels, some is slow to start play sound, some does not work at all and some play sound right away. I will dig more in to it later this weekend.

P.S.

Since no filter so far is perfect for every usage, May I sugest a soultion in the future where we can have a group of filter choices, so we can "asign" a channel to filter group?

Anyway, a milion thanks for giving us the opertunity to watch aac related channels here in norway.

/Digi

Edited by digidigi

Thanks for the reports! It may take some time to clarify all interdependencies concering this matter. ATM my family keeps me occupied, so I can't do much, but of course I will keep to the AAC stuff until it is working well.

For the Norwegian files, I get the best results with the MainConcept H.264 decoder, that is part of this package. The Cyberlink H.264 decoder from an old PowerDVD trial shows no picture at all. CoreAVC works, but not fluently, and ArcSoft crashes from time to time.

Other things you can try:

- Tick Options -> DirectX -> Audio Format Detection. It lets the DVBViewer Filter detect the audio format again on each channel change and should force a reconnect of the AAC audio decoder. Does it do something?

- Install DVBViewer GE 2.4.4 (to a different directory of course, read the ReadMe!). How does it behave? Same problems?

- Try recording. How does playback of the TS files work?

Only nag is the 'random' delay (5-45sec) for audio to kick in.

Does it only happen on channel switching or always (also after having launched DVBViewer resp. performing View -> Close Graph)?

Cannot be easy testing this remote

No, it isn't (*sigh*). I should pack my suitcase and travel to Norway... :tongue:

Hi. Some info from my test of the new Wrapper ...

Windows XP pro international and and .net 3.0 and wmp11 / latest patches (as faar as i can mannage)

Using HVR 4000 DVB-T and strong signal's and with latest released driver

Nvidia GT 6600 AGP

Pentium 4 3.06Ghz with Hypertreading so it acts as dual 2.3 - never peaked as iv seen on HW-monitor

latest DVBViewer filter (dvbweiver pro license)

latest wrapper 1.0.1 beta

Libfaad2 taken from latest FFDshow (FF_libfaad2.)

new tuning method of (best in my opinion)

Video renderer is using regular overlay not wm9

Audio renderer is in default direct sound device (have tried wave alsow but no change)

H-264 codec used Mediaconsept (demo) , Cyberlink tried and kicked out., as for al others.

There is some issue regarding Picture and sound sync. i have typical short bursts of sound interrupting the video (stall?) It appears to be worse with the Audio format detection ON. Then it alsow more often makes window's report DVBveiwer to be unresponsive and needed to be closed. (if i ignore message dvbveiwer is still usable. but sound is LOST) Is this a timeout issue in the sound graph ?

Griga i'l be away 4 a week so u might borrow my flat for testing :tongue: i get both norw and swed dvb-t signals (mpg2 and H-264) And 5deg East and 1west dish.

Thx for ure persistance in helping us over here.

Edited by oskar1969

Hi Again,

Now it's working 99% stable here, the only issue I have with the Norwegian MPEG4/AAC channels is Cyberlink h.264 Codec crash if I enable Hardware Support (This only happend on the Norwegian Channels and NOT HD Chanels).

The big difference with sync problems for me was to set the DvbSource filter "Max. Queued Audio (MS) TV/Radio" to 2500.

This made a huge difference on my system, it helped on all my different h.264 Filters.

To edit the Dvb Source filer while a channel is running: Click on "View"->"Filters"->"DVB Source" and edit the "Max. Queued Audio (MS) TV/Radio" to eg. 2500

Please post back your results.

/Digi

Edited by digidigi

The big difference with sync problems for me was to set the DvbSource filter "Max. Queued Audio (MS) TV/Radio" to 2500.

This made a huge difference on my system, it helped on all my different h.264 Filters.

To edit the Dvb Source filer while a channel is running: Click on "View"->"Filters"->"DVB Source" and edit the "Max. Queued Audio (MS) TV/Radio" to eg. 2500

thx DIGIDIGI this helped somewhat , but it still look like i have some other issue. Just a thought what libfaad2 are you using (i nicked mine from the latest FFDSHOW. . .

/O

thx DIGIDIGI this helped somewhat , but it still look like i have some other issue. Just a thought what libfaad2 are you using (i nicked mine from the latest FFDSHOW. . .

I use this one, I belive it's the last one from Dec. 24 2007 "generic build (stable)"

I can confirm that: changing channels became really very smooth with this setting. :bye:

Griga - Is there any chance of the wrapper being released as open source?

It would be really great to get the latm support back into the main faad code. At the moment none of the Linux media players can handle LATM based AAC streams.

Here in NZ they have decided to follow very similar standards to Norway, H.264 video and AAC audio. I have been documenting my attempts at getting the NZ service working under Linux at http://www.mythtv.co.nz.

I've posted a sample of 720p video + AAC audio at http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/images/tv2.ts and I'd be very interested to hear if any windows users can get this to work with your wrapper.

Steve

Seems to be the pivotal point. Something that has to be handled in the DVBViewer Filter, not in the wrapper filter. As soon as I find time for it, I will have a closer look at it. You can also try to set this value to 0. It switches the "max. queued" control off.

Yes, there is. Some days ago I got the C++ source code of a faad based DirectShow AAC decoder from Christian (DVBViewer Head Programmer), and he got it from a guy who is intending to release it as open source, as far as I know. It contained the LOAS/LATM handling/parsing - not fully elaborated, more or less as a proof of concept. The binary was able to decode the Norwegian stuff, but not really well. So I translated the source code to Delphi (I can read C++, but not write it :bye:), fixed some bugs, changed and adjusted several things according to DVB resp. DVBViewer requirements, and that's where we are now... I wouldn't mind to release it as open source, but I want it to be in a stable state first, and I have to ask Christian and the guy who initiated the project, of course.

and I'd be very interested to hear if any windows users can get this to work with your wrapper.

DVBViewer can play it with the libfaad2 wrapper filter.

You can also try to set this value to 0. It switches the "max. queued" control off.

I can confirm that setting Max. queued to "0" did the same trick as "2500".

And if I set it to "500" the problem is back.

/Digi

Joining in the "0/2500 worked magic". Channel switching working like a charm. No problems.

Also tried out the "Cyberlink Audio Decoder". This is without the "TerraTec Piranha" driver ever being installed on this PC. Only a fully patched Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (claud.ax v6.1.0.4701). Working quite good. Response for channel switch audio is a little behind "libfaad2 Wrapper". So going to stay with libfaad2 for now.

Hi Steve

I am in NZ as well. I have got the wrapper working OK (in XP at least, Vista gives an error). It appears that TV1 & 2 do not have any content but I am able to see TVNZ6 and 7 fine (AAC audio). I can play your sample fine.

I will keep an eye on your Myth TV page.

Cheers

Warren

It would be really great to get the latm support back into the main faad code. At the moment none of the Linux media players can handle LATM based AAC streams.

Here in NZ they have decided to follow very similar standards to Norway, H.264 video and AAC audio. I have been documenting my attempts at getting the NZ service working under Linux at http://www.mythtv.co.nz.

I've posted a sample of 720p video + AAC audio at http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/images/tv2.ts and I'd be very interested to hear if any windows users can get this to work with your wrapper.

Steve

Hi Steve

I am in NZ as well. I have got the wrapper working OK (in XP at least, Vista gives an error). It appears that TV1 & 2 do not have any content but I am able to see TVNZ6 and 7 fine (AAC audio). I can play your sample fine.

I will keep an eye on your Myth TV page.

Cheers

Warren

Warren - thanks for the info. Pleased to hear this works. I've contacted some of the MPlayer Devs about this to try and hook them up with the DVBView guys.

What sort of hardware are you using to play the NZ streams?

Steve

I have testet Grigas aac_wrapper and it works perfect on my htpc after i sat the "Max Queued... to 2500".

I used the Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.X) and libfaad2.dll from ffdshow-tryouts.

Thank you ;)

Hello everybody. I have played a bit with AAC and LATM and here is a free GNU GPL DirectShow filter that can decode LATM streams.

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/2008/01/03/m...-decoder-v0900/

It was tested with Elecard demuxer and some Norwegian broadcast dump Christian sent me.

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,

Igor

I couldn't register your filter, just got an error message (norwegian in picture) :

"LoadLibary(mmaacd.ax) failed - This program could not start, because the program configuration is wrong. Re-installing the program may solve this problem"

Edit: Forget it, hadn't installed the c++ sp1 fix :)

post-45105-1199393682_thumb.png

Edited by caid

Now i have testet your mmaacd.ax filter with DVBViewer and the norwegian DVB-T. I got an error message when I start the program and when I rebuild the graph. See Attached pictures of error message and configuration.

post-45105-1199395755_thumb.png

post-45105-1199395761_thumb.png

I got an error message when I start the program and when I rebuild the graph.

Confirmed. For some reason building the filter graph with mmaacd.ax failes in DVBViewer Pro 3.9.1.0. I get no error, but the DirectShow GraphBuilder selects another suitable AAC decoder.

It works here with my current DVBViewer GE and TSPlayer version, however.

The same here: I can select MONOGRAM AAC DECODER in DVBViewer's options menue. However, the filters sub menue then shows that instead CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD7) is used. No error message.

Thanks for the reports! It may take some time to clarify all interdependencies concering this matter. ATM my family keeps me occupied, so I can't do much, but of course I will keep to the AAC stuff until it is working well.

For the Norwegian files, I get the best results with the MainConcept H.264 decoder, that is part of this package. The Cyberlink H.264 decoder from an old PowerDVD trial shows no picture at all. CoreAVC works, but not fluently, and ArcSoft crashes from time to time.

Other things you can try:

- Tick Options -> DirectX -> Audio Format Detection. It lets the DVBViewer Filter detect the audio format again on each channel change and should force a reconnect of the AAC audio decoder. Does it do something?

- Install DVBViewer GE 2.4.4 (to a different directory of course, read the ReadMe!). How does it behave? Same problems?

- Try recording. How does playback of the TS files work?

Does it only happen on channel switching or always (also after having launched DVBViewer resp. performing View -> Close Graph)?

No, it isn't (*sigh*). I should pack my suitcase and travel to Norway... :bye:

there is polar bears in the streets here :D

The libfaad2 wrapper filter 1.1 is available in the members area, plugins section (no longer beta). It enables DVBViewer to play the type of AAC audio that is used for Norwegian DVB-T.

The wrapper filter has been enhanced and optimized in many ways. It has been tested with all available files from DVB sources containing LATM or ADTS AAC, and with different source filters / demultiplexers / parsers under various conditions. So I dare to call it "stable" now. However, it's still up to the people in Norway and New Zealand to check whether live AAC playback works as well as file playback... please give us feedback.

Please note:

- Making it work requires up-to-date DVBViewer Pro/GE versions, plus an additional file. Read the included ReadMe!

- It is strongly recommended to update the DVBViewer Filter to version 3.0.0, since it contains additional AAC enhancements / fixes. Setting "Max Queued Audio" to a high value or 0 on the property page is no longer necessary. The buffering control (that caused some trouble with live playback) has been disabled for AAC audio.

Hei! I installed both the libfaad2 wrapper 1.1 and the DVBViewer filter 3.0.0 yesterday. They do work fine with Norwegian DVB-t, live and timeshift. :bye: There is nothing more I can say for the time being. But I want to say "Thank you very much!" for your work.