libfaad2 Wrapper Filter

Griga

The libfaad2 wrapper filter 1.1 is available in the members area, plugins section (no longer beta). It enables DVBViewer to play the type of AAC audio that is used for Norwegian DVB-T.

So I dare to call it "stable" now. However, it's still up to the people in Norway and New Zealand to check whether live AAC playback works as well as file playback... please give us feedback.

- It is strongly recommended to update the DVBViewer Filter to version 3.0.0, since it contains additional AAC enhancements / fixes. Setting "Max Queued Audio" to a high value or 0 on the property page is no longer necessary. The buffering control (that caused some trouble with live playback) has been disabled for AAC audio.

This works really well! :-)

I'm running:

- Vista Ultimate

- Terratec Cinergy 2400i Dual Tuner.

- DVBViewer Pro 3.9.1.1

- DVBViewer Filter 3.0.0

- libfaad2 wrapper 1.1

Norwegian DVB-T transmissions (both TV and radio) are crystal clear - even if the radio is not very pleasant to listen to due to low bitrate (50-60 kbps).

Recording is also flawless!

Note: .ts files from recording will not work with VLC, but plays just perfect in DVBViewer and CyberLink PowerDVD (no audio).

Thanks for helping us "little people" up north!

The libfaad2 wrapper 1.1.3 source code (Delphi 7, only useful for programmers) has been released under the GNU General Public Licence. Download. For more details, please refer to the included ReadMe.

Version 1.1.3 contains improved multi-channel-handling. If someone receives 5.1 AAC sound with channels mapped to the wrong speakers, please post it here - then I'll upload a new binary to the members area.

is there a way to remove the LOAS/LATM packaging when recording transport steam etc?

so it might be able to play in other players?

Edited by wiak
is there a way to remove the LOAS/LATM packaging when recording transport steam etc?

No. TS has a fixed packet structure (188 bytes each). You can't remove data without breaking it up and recreating it. Furthermore, AAC decoders can't configure themselves if the information contained in the LATM data is missing.

so it might be able to play in other players?

Newer versions of the Elecard Demultiplexer (part of this package) are able to handle LOAS/LATM, and it connects quite happily to the libfaad2 wrapper (tested). E.g. WMP should be able to play TS files containing H.264/AAC with a filter graph as shown below.

P.S. Link corrected (wrong package).

Zwischenablage01.png

Edited by Griga
even if the radio is not very pleasant to listen to due to low bitrate (50-60 kbps).

thats a under statement

the radio is clearer than FM and DAB (MP2) and even webradio at mp3 128kbps and ogg 128kbps >_<

Warren - thanks for the info. Pleased to hear this works. I've contacted some of the MPlayer Devs about this to try and hook them up with the DVBView guys.

What sort of hardware are you using to play the NZ streams?

Steve

I am running a E6750 Core 2 Duo. X1950PRO grpahics. Vista Ultimate. 2GB Ram, Hauppauge HVR-900 USB tuner. About 40% CPU Usage on live tv.

The picture quality on the TV2 loop is fantastic. They are running a Sony SXRD demonstration disc. TV3 is a little bit choppy though. It also seems as if they have un-synced the audio on C4?

Cheers

Wal

• 4 weeks later...
The libfaad2 Wrapper DirectShow Filter 1.0.0 Beta is available in the members area, beta section. It enables DVBViewer to play the type of AAC audio that is used for Norwegian DVB-T.

Please note:

- You'll need up-to-date DVBViewer and DVBViewer Filter versions, plus an additional file in order to make it work. Read the included ReadMe!

- The filter proved to work well with TS samples from Norway, but has not been tested yet with live playback.

- The filter is a beta version and not a fully fledged AAC decoder. Its main purpose is to cover basic DVB requirements. So don't expect too much...

Please give us feedback here!

Can you write an idiots guide on how to install this. I am an idiot, and can't work it out.

The included ReadMe contains a step by step guide. Which point is not clear for you?

Please note: The libfaad2 wrapper source code (see download link above) is only usable for programmers. The compiled "ready to run" Libfaad2Wrapper.ax DirectShow filter is available in the members area. Accessing it requires purchasing DVBViewer Pro.

The included ReadMe contains a step by step guide. Which point is not clear for you?

Please note: The libfaad2 wrapper source code (see download link above) is only usable for programmers. The compiled "ready to run" Libfaad2Wrapper.ax DirectShow filter is available in the members area. Accessing it requires purchasing DVBViewer Pro.

Sorry I downloaded the source code. No wonder I didn't have a clue.....

All working well.

Hi

In New Zealand it looks like we have the same transmission as Norwegian DVB-T. I have AAC sound and H264 working perfectly in DVBViewer. Also some of our channels have an AC3 sound track which works fine as well.

I can play back the recorded ts file in Vista Media Centre however the sound only works for the AC3 channels. Is there any way to use the wrapper filter with MCE or Media Player?

Cheers

Warren

Thank for the response. Can you tell me what splitter is used in the top left of the Graph? My PC selects HAALI media splitter whick does not connect to the elecard demuxer.

Thank for your halp. I am new to Graphs.

Warren

Can you tell me what splitter is used in the top left of the Graph?

Splitter = Demultiplexer. The one from Elecard can be used by various media players. It is able to detect LOAS/LATM AAC content in TS files and pass it on in a way that is suitable for the libfaad2 wrapper.

My PC selects HAALI media splitter whick does not connect to the elecard demuxer.

It can't, because both are splitters/demultiplexers. The filter graph in the image above uses the standard File Source (Async) source filter from Microsoft, which is part of every DirectX/Windows installation.

Maybe the HAALI media splitter overrides the default TS handling somehow, thus superseding the File Source / Elecard Demultiplexer combo. After having installed the Elecard Demultiplexer, I'd try to unregister the HAALI splitter temporarily, in order to see what's happening. A good tool for registering/unregistering DirectShow components is the RadLight Filter Manager:

- Unregister: Select the HAALI splitter in the DirectShow section of the tree view and click "Unregister". After this it won't be used by media players anymore.

- Re-register: Click "Register" and select the according .ax or .dll file (have a look at the Log Tab if you don't know where it is located)

Please note that registering/unregistering requires admin rights.

• 2 weeks later...
The libfaad2 Wrapper DirectShow Filter 1.0.0 Beta is available in the members area, beta section. It enables DVBViewer to play the type of AAC audio that is used for Norwegian DVB-T.

Thanks for this. I can confirm it works perfectly for the DVB-T freeview service in New Zealand too.

OK please give me a clue; where do I find it? Having looped around and back to this post more than once I can't find this filter. Please be more specific or provide a link, or update this one if it is included in 3.9.2.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!

I'd really like to use this filter for Japanese broadcasts, since they are also using AAC. It works quite fine, but when the number of audio channels is changing the audio becomes messed up.

I recorded a short clip of TBS (ISDB-T) for you:

http://www.wustcom.de/05-10_21-00-00_TBS_S..._hakken.0000.ts

The error occurs as soon as the "Hitachi no ki" CM starts (The one with the big tree :))

I'm using the 1.1.0 version of the wrapper and the libfaad2.dll which was included in the december build of ffdshow!

There is a standalone wrapper for libfaad2.dll which is designed especially for Japanese broadcasts, probably you it might help if you take a look in the source code: http://2sen.dip.jp:81/cgi-bin/friioup/source/up0485.zip

I'm really looking forward to use this great wrapper here.

Thanks,

Daniel

Thanks for the nice sample. Another one in my global collection :)

but when the number of audio channels is changing the audio becomes messed up.

Confirmed. It has already been fixed it in the Delphi 7 source code, but not in the executable. Please download Libfaad2 Wrapper 1.1.1 from the members area, plugins section.

You are the first one reporting about multi channel AAC audio. Please let me know if there are other issues (e.g. wrong speakers addressed).

Ok, the 5.1 -> 2.0 change is more difficult, because libfaad2 complains about an "unexpected channel configuration change" and from this point on refuses decoding. I've already found a solution, but I want to check it carefully before uploading a new version. Maybe tomorrow... thanks again for feedback!

I've uploaded the libfaad2 Wrapper Filter 1.1.2 to the members area. The 5.1 -> 2.0 change problem is solved. Resetting the libfaad2 library completely seems to be the only way to handle it, and I had to rethink some of the internal structures.

Took some time, because I had to check it with a lot of different samples. I didn't want to win Japan and at the same time lose Norway and New Zealand (I nearly did). Sometimes it's hard to be a global player... :idiot:

I've uploaded the libfaad2 Wrapper Filter 1.1.2 to the members area. The 5.1 -> 2.0 change problem is solved. The only way to handle it seems to be resetting the libfaad2 library completely, and I had to rethink some of the internal structures.

Took some time, because I had to check it with a lot of different samples. I didn't want to win Japan and at the same time lose Norway and New Zealand (I nearly did). Sometimes it's hard to be a global player... :idiot:

Thanks!

It's working great when I'm using DVBViewer's DVBSource filter. But when using a standard Async File source and a standard MPEG2 Demultiplexer (e.g. Gabest MPEG2 Demultiplexer or Haali) the change from 5.1 to 2.0 doesn't work. But this could also be related to the demultiplexer.

Thank you for your great work!

But when using a standard Async File source and a standard MPEG2 Demultiplexer (e.g. Gabest MPEG2 Demultiplexer or Haali) the change from 5.1 to 2.0 doesn't work. But this could also be related to the demultiplexer.

Yes, I've experienced the same. Usually demuxers output raw AAC data (without headers) to the decoder, so the decoder can't detect a configuration change. In this case the demuxer must take care of it and signal changes to the decoder, and if it doesn't... there you are. I think, most demuxers are taylored for file input, not for DVB requirements. Those changes are typical for DVB broadcasts.

The DVBViewer Filter outputs the complete AAC data (with ADTS headers in your case) to the Wrapper, so it can detect and handle channel configuration changes. If you want to play your recordings with other DirectShow based media players and the Wrapper, I'd recommend the Elecard Demultiplexer. It also delivers complete AAC data.

The libfaad2 wrapper 1.1.2.1 source code (Delphi 7, only useful for programmers) has been released under the GNU General Public Licence. Download. For more details, please refer to the included ReadMe.

Version 1.1.2.1 contains the improvements concerning 5.1 -> 2.0 and 2.0 -> 5.1 channel configuration changes. The code for audio_specific_config handling and initializing/resetting libfaad2 has been reworked.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: libfaad2 Wrapper Filter 1.1.3 in the members area for purchasers of DVBViewer Pro.

This time dedicated to our friends in Brazil (do we have any?). The Brazilian terrestrial broadcasts are using LATM AAC with something special called "explicit SBR signaling", requiring a fix. The updated Delphi 7 source code (GPL, only useful for programmers) is available from here.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I am in North America and there is a DVB-S2 mux that requires AAC decoding.

I have installed per this thread libfaad2 wrapper and libfaad2.dll and it becomes an AAC option but there is no sound.

When checking filters under "View" only the video decoder shows, not the audio even though it is selected.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

First, thank you for helping all of us.

I followed the instructions to the letter. I have the necessary files in the "Filter" folder. DLL came from rarewares.

The libfadd2 does show as a AAC decoder. I also installed a codec called monogram AAC and it also shows as an option.

But there is no sound.

I am using a DVBWorld DVB-S2 2004 PCI card. I can get sound and picture from their software but with DVBViewer I anly get picture. Let me know what other information you might need.

Ed

What about the channel data? See Channel -> Channel Editor in DVBViewer Pro. It should display an audio PID other than zero and AAC as audio type for the channels in question.

Griga, again TNX

There are no audio PID's so I went to the program that works and found a few PID's for a couple of channels and entered them manually. Since I am "assuming" that this channel's audio is AAC, still no sound. I decided on the Channel Editor window to select AC3 audio and "WoW" audio is coming thru.

Like most of us I spend 95% of my time learning and 5% viewing. Thank you for the lesson my friend.

Now I need to find out why the PID's were not picked up. Tell Christian that S2 is a go with DVBWorld devices.

Ed Rios

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Let me thank you for such a nice work.. but dunno its not working with the encrypted channels?? :bye:.. aac-he LATM encoding is being used by BIG-TV(SECA) in india... only FTA channels work over the filter. any idea how this can be fixed?

its not working with the encrypted channels??

It should work with encrypted channels, if they are decrypted properly. There was another posting describing the same problem with the MONOGRAM AAC Audio Decoder. Maybe a CI/CAM problem? Maybe the CAM doesn't recognize AAC in the PMT (Program Map Table) as audio stream that has to be decrypted?

Check View -> Filters -> DVB Source in DVBViewer. If you see "Audio State: No Data" there, DVBViewer doesn't receive a decrypted AAC stream.

this sound like a old version of the DVBViewer, which didn't send for twinhan cards the aac data in the caPMT. Please use the current version of the DVBViewer.

It should work with encrypted channels, if they are decrypted properly. There was another posting describing the same problem with the MONOGRAM AAC Audio Decoder. Maybe a CI/CAM problem? Maybe the CAM doesn't recognize AAC in the PMT (Program Map Table) as audio stream that has to be decrypted?

Check View > -Filters -> DVB Source in DVBViewer. If you see "Audio State: No Data" there, DVBViewer doesn't receive a decrypted AAC stream.

aah right... its the CAM.. Source filter is displaying Audio State: No Data... tks for the help..

one problem solved another is in ;)

@Lars

I'm using the latest version of DVBViewer 4 with source filter 3.3.2.